Go-Ahead Group

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Linto63

Go-Ahead Group

Post by Linto63 »

Looks like the Go-Ahead Group may be about to get some Australian ownership with both Kelsian and Kinetic having made unsolicited bids. With 5,000 buses in England and rail operations in England, Germany and Norway would substantially expand the size of either.

Go-Ahead Group likely to be sold after two bids from overseas firms
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Go-Ahead Group

Post by Merc1107 »

Perhaps there was more to the sell-off of the London operation than meets the eye!
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

GA Group also has the Loyang contract in Singapore. I'm also hoping they manage to snare Fremantle and Rockingham in WA.

Interesting to note is Kelsian is the parent company of Tower Transit, who holds the Bulim and Sembawang contracts in Singapore, as well as several contracts in WA (6 in Perth, one each in Bunbury, Busselton, Albany and Kalgoorlie).
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

If it had gone ahead it would have given Kelsian control of Loyang in addition to Bulim and Sembawang packages in Singapore.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The joint venture in which Kinetic has a 51% shareholding has had its takeover offer accepted by the majority of Go-Ahead Group shareholders. Is still subject to regulatory approval, but given that none of the shareholders have any interests in the sector in the UK, should be a formaility.

Go-Ahead shareholders approve £669m takeover by international joint venture
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Didn't Kinetic take over Transdev's contract in Melbourne, leaving the French transport giant with one less region?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

I think it's more accurate to say they were the preferred bidder in a competitive tendering process. Not sure how much Transdev's prior performance would have affected that, though.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:23 am I think it's more accurate to say they were the preferred bidder in a competitive tendering process. Not sure how much Transdev's prior performance would have affected that, though.
From what I gather, Transdev VIC had a number of problems. That said, they managed to expand their NSW operations after teaming up with JH.

Not to mention they maintained their stranglehold over Perth's southern suburbs. Personally, I'd liked to have seen Go-Ahead (Singapore) or Busways (SA) win.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:34 pm From what I gather, Transdev VIC had a number of problems. That said, they managed to expand their NSW operations after teaming up with JH.

Not to mention they maintained their stranglehold over Perth's southern suburbs. Personally, I'd liked to have seen Go-Ahead (Singapore) or Busways (SA) win.
Go-Ahead is a UK company, who are in the process of being bought by Kinetic anyway (as per this thread). So there would be little to no difference of the contract being held by GAG or Kinetic.

Busways are a NSW company, not South Australian. From what I understand, other than day-to-day operations, most of their SA contract is run out of an office in Sydney.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:30 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:34 pm From what I gather, Transdev VIC had a number of problems. That said, they managed to expand their NSW operations after teaming up with JH.

Go-Ahead is a UK company, who are in the process of being bought by Kinetic anyway (as per this thread). So there would be little to no difference of the contract being held by GAG or Kinetic.

Busways are a NSW company, not South Australian. From what I understand, other than day-to-day operations, most of their SA contract is run out of an office in Sydney.
GA has business interests in Singapore, as I said before. If they had won the Fremantle and/or Rockingham packages held by Transdev Perth, their office in Singapore could become the regional HQ for their WA and Singapore operations.

Busways first foray outside NSW came at the expense of Southlink aka Path Transit. AdMet took a gamble and opted for fresh blood in a market heavily dominated by Transit Systems (Kelsian) and Keolis Downer.

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”