New generation Scania chassis

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
scott

New generation Scania chassis

Post by scott »

Scania have released it's new generation of bus chassis, with Dysons to put the first batch into service.

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... ania-fleet

I like the new dash and how it integrates with(in this case) the Volgren Optimus body,quite a step up from the previous generation which possibly may continue for a little while until chassis stocks dry up.

The A30 and Touring will also get the new chassis according to the linked article from ABC magazine.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: New generation Scania chassis

Post by Swift »

These Euro bus giants will want to retain their dominance of the Aussie bus market they've enjoyed for so long now. The local body builders making inroads into EV products that don't require one of these Euro chassis suppliers will not be looked upon favourably buy them and they'll want to stop it any way they can.
I shall watch upcoming developments in this flux of the Australian commercial bus market closely.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Personally, I'd love to see more of this model around in Perth and Singapore.

Dysons are run by Scania freaks indeed. Last time I was in Melbourne, they had a nearly full fleet of L94UBs. There was only one each in SG (SBS2888T) and WA (TP3000).

My fondest memories are riding the N113CRBs that once dominated Singapore's eastern suburbs, as well as the K230UBs that until recently were the only public buses from the Singapore side allowed to enter Malaysia.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I don't know why the 230s get maligned by some. I did hear from a driver once that Busways in NSW were having problems with theirs, but can't remember details.
They have a good ride even if the engines sound a bit under done.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Scania will be releasing their EV chassis to market in Australia later this year - presumably at the bus show in October.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Have to say the inclusion of nannies that are increasingly prevalent on cars will do nothing to improve the sometimes woeful driving one experiences onboard buses as a passenger. It simply amounts to dumbing down the driving cohort even more, such that their abilities on buses without these nannies will be abhorrent. There is a distinct need to better vett applicants for the job, and potentially offer more on-road training and mentoring versus trying to sweep their deficiencies under the rug with automatic functions.

And a push-button park brake? Great. Already the stop/door brakes on some types simply will not release smoothly, as the gearbox is programmed to come out of automatic-neutral after the brake releases. This results in unpleasant lurching, or even the bus rolling away and subsequently thumping into gear (one suspects the people designing city buses neither use them, or drive them). The work-around is using the park brake, applying enough throttle (i.e. practically nil) to put the gearbox back into gear, then releasing the park brake. So there goes THAT workaround, in the event the door/stop brake is thoughtlessly programmed against the comfort of passengers.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Swift wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:33 am I don't know why the 230s get maligned by some. I did hear from a driver once that Busways in NSW were having problems with theirs, but can't remember details.
They have a good ride even if the engines sound a bit under done.
The thing is their predecessors came with more power (250PS). Some of the €3 KUBs also came with 250PS engines. These ones are common in Malaysia where low sulphur diesel is rare.

The Singapore KUBs are decent, though some bus fans complained about NVH giving them itchy ears. The Gemilang body does tend to vibrate quite a lot, from what I noticed. The sound of the ZF transmission getting thrashed is reminiscent of the Transperth Mercedes OC500 CNGs.

If anything, the 230 packs a stronger punch than the DAF SB220. We had the latter back home too. Worst buses ever procured.
Will be fondly remembered when she retires.
Will be fondly remembered when she retires.
IMG_20220109_010032.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
scott

Post by scott »

I ride often on the K230's at Ventura and even when new they were a bit underpowered, the later K280's, then K310/320's are a vast improvement.

I wonder if you could incorporate the instruments and controls of the new generation dash into existing bodybuilder dash designs, ie Optimus, Endura and other body builders for fleet commonality etc.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”