VIC Rail and Tram Observations 2022

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Heihachi_73

VIC Rail and Tram Observations 2022

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Spotted Z3 178 running eastbound on the 75 on Bridge Rd at Burnley St at 9:58PM on the 31st. Tram on TEST / route 0 on the desto.

Last night I caught B2 2007 (with an abnormally high-pitched gong) from Vermont South and was transferred to B2 2040 at Camberwell Depot to continue towards the city. Couldn't help but notice the irony of the "E Class is for Everyone" sign out the front when Camberwell has nothing but high floor trams. A huge slap in the face for everyone who was forced into sardine can A classes during the Australian Open, never mind the temperatures being in the mid 30s with high humidity.
Heihachi_73

Re: VIC Rail and Tram Observations 2022

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Spotted another Z3 on test once again outside the Royal Oak (Burnley St) last night, heading inbound. This time it was 192.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Was on the 22:39 from Ringwood (ex Lilydale) to Flinders Street last night, it ended up getting stuck at the signals near Federation Square for a short while, and diverted to platform 1 at FSS instead of the usual 2/3, forming a City Circle service (via Southern Cross), with the next Mernda train being forced to use platform 2 instead. Weird.
timetable gunzel

Post by timetable gunzel »

The Up Lilydale was transposed due to Train Maintenance request. The Run with the City Circle Trip should have stabled at Burnley at the end of the night.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I was visiting Melbourne last weekend, and had to catch a Lilydale train to visit some friends. Trip Planner told me that due to track work somewhere, trains were staring from Camberwell, and I should take a 109 tram to Box Hill and catch train there. No problems with that.

Coming back at night, I wanted to get off the train at Box Hill. Being dark, I studiously watched the PID screen in the carriage until it displayed ">>>now approaching Box Hill". When the carriage door opened, I was greeted with "Mont Albert" signs on the platform.

Must be a great system if the trains don't know where they are.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
SWB5105KGP-3

Post by SWB5105KGP-3 »

It's not too far to walk from Surrey Hills station to the Union Rd. stop on route 109.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:42 am Was on the 22:39 from Ringwood (ex Lilydale) to Flinders Street last night, it ended up getting stuck at the signals near Federation Square for a short while, and diverted to platform 1 at FSS instead of the usual 2/3, forming a City Circle service (via Southern Cross), with the next Mernda train being forced to use platform 2 instead. Weird.
Was visiting Melbourne last week and had the opposite on Saturday morning when I was on a train from North Richmond which ended up on platform 2 and became a Belgrave service... but not before I noticed a train that was coming in beside us (looked like it was from a Lilydale/Belgrave service) end up on platform 1, and left first for Southern Cross (where I was eventually headed - had to take the train due to protests in the city causing tram issues).

Presume this sort of transposition isn't that common, but a "does happen" type of thing?
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
SWB5105KGP-3

Post by SWB5105KGP-3 »

On the morning of the 29th June my up Mernda train was diverted and opened doors on platform 2 at Clifton Hill. A possibly defective train was occupying platform 1.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

pgt wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 am Was visiting Melbourne last week and had the opposite on Saturday morning when I was on a train from North Richmond which ended up on platform 2 and became a Belgrave service... but not before I noticed a train that was coming in beside us (looked like it was from a Lilydale/Belgrave service) end up on platform 1, and left first for Southern Cross (where I was eventually headed - had to take the train due to protests in the city causing tram issues).

Presume this sort of transposition isn't that common, but a "does happen" type of thing?
Occasionally it happens. Once I was on an late night (e.g. 11PM) up Lilydale/Belgrave X'Trapolis about 5 years ago which ended up crossing over to platform 1 at Burnley or East Richmond (can't remember, but naturally it didn't stop at the latter), and ended up at platform 7 at Richmond instead of platform 8. Said train then departed as per usual, got up to line speed (65 km/h between Richmond-Fed Square for the Burnley group), hit the first set of low-speed points and jolted hard left with the driver dropping the anchors to bring the bouncing castle of a train back under control (yay for Connex opting for cheap coil springs and Metro continuing the same order after a five year gap). I was in the first carriage so I could use the Elizabeth Street exit at Flinders Street, so I copped the brunt of the bouncing castle effect. The X'Trap then formed a Glen Waverley via Loop as per usual, with the PIDs showing the next train from platform 6 being a Belgrave, but as I was off and out of the station by then I have no idea how it got back to the Burnley group tracks for the city loop. In a way, I almost wish we had ended up in the dirt blocking half a dozen lines (Burnley and Caulfield groups) just so that Metro would be forced to fix the sixty-year-old wooden-sleepered tracks. :)
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Someone on Reddit spotted a derelict Z3 197 on the back of a truck today.
https://redd.it/xekb9b
Glen

Post by Glen »

Is the Route 35 W class service running normally these days? Someone told me earlier in the year it was affected by staff shortages.

Thanks.
SWB5105KGP-3

Post by SWB5105KGP-3 »

Whenever Southbank Depot needs to operate sports extras, they cancel route 35 and shorten route 12 to avail drivers. Kew and Camberwell don't seem to be involved in the extras at all.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”