New Scania Bustech Artic

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

New Scania Bustech Artic

Post by jibb »

Sighted today was the first of a new batch of these Artics.
This one has a dome light,so it can be used on the O-Bahn.
It was sighted travelling from Precision Buses to Scaniaa.
jibb

Re: New Scania Bustech Artic

Post by jibb »

This Artic has arrived at St Agnes to be prepared for O-Bahn trials.
jibb

Post by jibb »

:Now back at Scania at Wingfield for some adjustments.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

While they are "adjusting things", perhaps they could send the artic back to Bustech for a repaint into a reasonable and professional livery. The paint scheme on the trailer section might have been devised in a primary school. The red flash is hideous, as is the small yellow area.

This current Adelaide livery is bad enough (with the monster Adelaide Metro logo) on the the rigids, particulalrly on the shorter ones, where the red flash does not extend far enough down to allow the Metro logo to totally stay within that red part, but then add the amateur livery treatment of the trailer section and we finish up with probably the worst livery I have seen on recent buses.

Perhaps they should go to a couple of primary schools and get their ideas on a new livery, as a project - anything that the children come up with would have to be better than what we now have!!!!!!!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

P2250301 (002).jpg
P2250301 (002).jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
This is not an especially good photo, but it is the only reasonably decent photo I have taken of Singapore's artics, inthe new livery. There are only 40 artics in a fleet of over 6,000 buses, almost half of which are double deckers.

This new livery, which is gradually being applied to all route service buses is called Lush Green. It is restrained, dignified, effective and has been well received by the locals. A wonderfully professional livery, that contains no swoops or stripes - it just looks great.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

P2250275 (002).jpg
P2250275 (002).jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 6553 times
This is simply to show that a good livery suits all shapes and sizes of buses etc.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I haven't seen a photo of this bus to judge, but the Admet scheme in general makes me think that somebody got confused by an instruction to go and choose a couple of colours from the colour palette and chose the entire palette instead!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

There are photos on something or other site of this artic and the livery is honestly hopeless, it is a total embarrassment for us locals. I do not know why the people that design these things feel that that have done a good job, because they clearly (visibly) have not!!!!
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tim- whilst I respect your opinion on the new colour scheme with the very large Adelaide Metro logo,I reckon it is good marketing of the brand.
We now have so many variations of colour schemes including the new Hybrid buses, it makes for interesting fleets,and when we eventually get deliveries of electric buses there will be another colour combinbation.
I am sure SAPTA would have spent a lot of time and research in coming up with the graphics.
Melbourne has different colour schemes for trams,buses and trains which are different again.
There seems to be more variances in colour schemes on Public Transport in many countries.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I look forward to seeing photos!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks Jibb, the liking of liveries or otherwise is really down opinion not fact. I do appreciate and understand your comments. Again, just my personal oppinion, Victoria has different colours for trams, trains and buses, but all share the cohesive theme, which I belive, looks very professional.

The problem with Adelaide's new livery (buses only) is it seems to fit the 12mtr rigids fine, the shorter ones look a littlre strange, for reasons previously menioned and the artic - well it looks like they had a last minute rush to do someting with the trailer section.
In my humble opinion, the Adelaide Metro logos (applied to the sides) are far too large and in any event, the offside livery (including the large logos) will be more often than not covered by the usual large side adverts.

A couple of other points to consider:
1. The Admet V2 (red front) livery provided a unified look, for all shapes and sizes and left the sides clear for those large adverts - if they must have them!
2. Repainting after accident damage down the sides (probably the most areas for damge) will now be a multicolur skilled affair - best of luck to them getting the angles correct.

There are a couple of photos of the artic on the Adelaide on the Adelaide Metro Appreciation Group (Facebook group) - I think that is the name of the group.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

New Artic.jpg
New Artic.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
THis is a copy of a photo taken by Julian Greenwood, picked up from the Adelaide Metro Appreciation Group - I do hope that the Group does not mind me reproducing the photo here with acknowledgement given of their wonderful site and due credit given to the photographer.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tim Williams wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:59 pm 2. Repainting after accident damage down the sides (probably the most areas for damge) will now be a multicolur skilled affair - best of luck to them getting the angles correct.
Thank you for posting the photo Tim. It will be interesting to see what they've done on the door side. Yes, agencies and operators often don't think of practical things, like when they disguise bus doors behind wrap. Nowadays I often wonder if they know that they're public transport operators or think that they're advertising agencies.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I again agree, I look at some of the European operators (Zurich is an example) and yes they have adverts, but in a very restained manner. Singapore is young and dynamic, but it's buses are quite limited in the amount of advertising carried, particularly relating to windows.

Being an accountant, I do understand the need to maximise revenue, but this current trend to have buses and trams totally wrapped (including windows) in advertising material is hideous and absolutely cheapens the whole look of the fleets. So, if people want to talk about promoting the brand, forget it, while the idiots in charge just chase the advertising dollar!!
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Yes. After all, selling the body for money is and always has been prostitution.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for posting this Tony. A strange beast it is, with a livery that appears to differ, one side to the other, although from angles of the photos, I cannot be 100% certain but it seems that the top of the red "swoop" on the trailer follows a different top line on either side. I really do not know why the previous red/yellow front Ade/Met livery was not maintained. This new livery is a total shocker, particularly on this artic.

I am suprised that Ade/Met did not specify full low floor for these artics as all door boarding and unloading is encouraged, especially in the city and higher floors with steps will slow things down and maybe accident zones!

Singapore now has only 40 artics - all MAN/Gemilang with full low floors, wonderful vehicles - that layout/configuration is what Ade/Met should be specifying.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tim Williams wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 pm I am suprised that Ade/Met did not specify full low floor for these artics as all door boarding and unloading is encouraged, especially in the city and higher floors with steps will slow things down and maybe accident zones!
There is a complete lack of focus by bus operators and agencies on efficient internal design and on passenger amenity in this country. It's clear that the two big, long-established manufacturers, Custom Denning and Volgren understand the issues but are obviously constrained by the chassis they are given with orders. Both have shown themselves perfectly capable of building proper low-floor (stepless gangway) buses and both are introducing proper low-floor electric buses, with Custom Denning specifically designing one for Australia. Other local manufacturers and importers seem to have no idea, which is unlucky for those jurisdictions that have selected the wrong manufacturer as exclusive supplier.

The problem is that operators and agencies are not clicking onto the obvious advantages of this format. Even when presented with double deckers with stepless gangways on the bottom deck, they don't seem to get the hint. Combined with an equally willful blindness (except in Perth and Sydney) to the obvious need for double-leaf rear doors in citybuses (even more significant with all-door loading), they're obviously not tuned into international best practice in bus design. If agencies set competent minimum standards for design, the manufacturers will soon fall in step. Until then, slack standards inevitably result in inefficient, lazy designs.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The first of these Artics is due to enter from St Agnes Depot next week. No fleet numbers as yet.
Can I ride for free

Post by Can I ride for free »

jibb wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:57 pm The first of these Artics is due to enter from St Agnes Depot next week. No fleet numbers as yet.
Does anyone know why there was a 7 month delay from testing to finally entering service next week?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Can I ride for free wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:08 am
Does anyone know why there was a 7 month delay from testing to finally entering service next week?
That's nothing compared to their electric bus which is about seven years and still counting. It's a Bustech thing.
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

It's all about local knowledge. One asks why something? Answer is DIT. Questioner nods and understands and shakes head and understands.
Can I ride for free

Post by Can I ride for free »

tonyp wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:38 am
Can I ride for free wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:08 am
That's nothing compared to their electric bus which is about seven years and still counting. It's a Bustech thing.
Good point mate
jibb

Post by jibb »

This bus was carrying out test trials on the O-Bahn track and Tea Tree Plaza this morning.
kaurna

Post by kaurna »

Some more photos,

viewtopic.php?t=92530

Wonder when this will enter service?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”