Fraser Island tour Atlantean + Bedford

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
SMS88AEC
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Merlin MO 7291

Fraser Island tour Atlantean + Bedford

Post by SMS88AEC »

I rode these 2 buses on a day trip tour to Fraser Island in October or November 1988. Can anyone here please tell me the fate or current status and former UK registration of the Atlantean 039OVS?
Bedford-29

Re: Fraser Island tour Atlantean + Bedford

Post by Bedford-29 »

The Atlantean is a 1968 model ex Plymouth with a Park Royal body that is all I could find out.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bus_Control
Favourite Vehicle: anything diesel!

Post by Bus_Control »

They look like BT's city express colours!
CJT
Favourite Vehicle: Merc 0303 & Silver Eagle

Post by CJT »

The Bedford would be no longer. Most of these old style Fraser Island buses, were scrapped after use. They just rust away in a few years working on Fraser! Sid Melksham replaced these old Island buses with ex Pioneer Trailways and ex AAT Kings, MAN 4WD coaches. 2 Leyland Altanteans were sold for campers (including the one in photo), one when as a sign out Ipswich way and the other was scrapped. 3 Volgren Deckers replaced the Altanteans... 2 ex Kirklands and one ex Greyhound. Sid Melksham sold his business to the Kingfisher Bay Resort Group in 2002.
CJT

Post by CJT »

This is one of the ex Kirklands Volgren Deckers used to transfer customers from hotels / motels to Fraser Island Ferry Terminal, in the mid 90's to around 2009. 3 of these Volgrens and 3 Mercedes Benz 0303's, replaced the 4 Leyland Altanteans and an Athol Hedges Bedford.
CJT

Post by CJT »

Whoops... forgot to attach the photo :oops:
Attachments
Sid Melksham - Volgren.jpg
Sid Melksham - Volgren.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 26055 times
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

I recall Rex Law (Redline Coaches) during his later incarnation as proprietor of Rex Law Bus Sales at Acacia Ridge Qld, sourcing and supplying the Atlanteans to Max.
From memory I saw one of them somewhere in the Moorooka/Salisbury area having been delivered there by Rex for that paint job.
BLBUS

Post by BLBUS »

The ex Greyhound was a 6V92/ZF Auto combo and came to Fraser Via Crisps at Warwick
OldeBloke

Post by OldeBloke »

The Leyland Atlantean pictured was delivered to Plymouth Citybus Limited on 12th May 1969 at a cost of £5,774 delivered. It entered service in 1970 and was withdrawn from service there in 1982, having covered almost 400,000 miles. In Plymouth, the reg. number was JJY639G.
I have only now seen the post and wish I could have given this info earlier. Hope it is still of interest to you!
andrewmarn

Post by andrewmarn »

Hi

not all the Bedfords rusted away. we brought Lil off Laurie Toy in 2000 and spent 2001 on the road with our two girls, then 7 and 10. She took on the Simpson, Lake Eyre, Palm Valley, Gosses Bluff and the Western Explorer in Tasmania, then a rough and ready dirt track, the Easter Bunny even found us in the Tarkine Wilderness.

She came with six DC 4 tyres which we replaced with ex Army Unimog Bar Tread cross overs

On our last day in Tassie we were refuelling when the local RAA Roadside Rescue guy pulled up and ask if this was Lil from Fraser Island!! turns out his father who lived 30 minutes down the road had put the 4WD gear underneath for Sid when he first got the Bedford's. Unfortunately we had a ferry to catch and didnt get to meet him, but who would have htought

we then lived in her while building and sold her in 2004.
Attachments
Lil at home.JPG
Lil at home.JPG (35.92 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
lil robs shed.jpg
lil robs shed.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
lil rmc.jpg
lil rmc.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 2754 times

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”