New TLF London Tube Map - Just released (May 22)

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Tim Williams

New TLF London Tube Map - Just released (May 22)

Post by Tim Williams »

The new map is a complicated looking affair with new Elizabeth Line included plus London Overground line, the DLR, Trams, London Cable Car, Thameslink and the usual existing Tube Lines. It is worth a look (TFL Tube Map, on line) but it certainly needs enlarging to follow everything. Lonhdon has a huge number of stations, as shown on the full index included with the map, which is sponsored (this time) by Ikea for 1.5m GPD's , so it is reported.

So, if you think that Sydney has a "busy" system, have a look at this!!!!
Tim Williams

Re: New TLF London Tube Map - Just released (May 22)

Post by Tim Williams »

The topic should be headed "New TFL etc. etc."

Apologies for the typo!!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Tim Williams wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 am So, if you think that Sydney has a "busy" system, have a look at this!!!!
Compare with Tokyo's.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, there are a number of metro systems around the world, including Tokyo, Seoul (the highest passenger carrying system in the world), Moscow and a number of others that carry more passengers than London.

I was really trying to point out that London's original Tube map, which was designed by Harry Beck in 1931 was clear simple diagrammatic map to follow and current version, which includes some of London's non-Tube is really now rather complicated.

I should add that Harry Beck's diagrammatic map has been widely copied (in various versions) all around the world, including the major Australian metro systems.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Tim Williams wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm I was really trying to point out that London's original Tube map, which was designed by Harry Beck in 1931 was clear simple diagrammatic map to follow and current version, which includes some of London's non-Tube is really now rather complicated.
The original map is beautifully simple.

I guess the trouble is, with a City like London, there are a dizzying array of different lines working their way into the City from, well, everywhere. The original map, while beautifully simple, would not make it immediately obvious where one might make a convenient interchange from another line. The new map (Link - for anyone wondering where it might be) gives a better view at a network level, but might prove confusing. I suppose the question is, where do you draw the line? How many publications, or mobile apps, should one need to use to find their way around?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I agree with your comments Merc1107.

An example of clarity with modern Beck style maps would have to be the MRT in Singapore and the MTR in Hong Kong - the only omission from the latter map is a comment to the effect that if you proceed (travelling north) past Sheung Shulon the East Line, the next station encountered , Lo Wun on exit, channels you directly into China proper (Shenzhen), with no easy alternative. I did this without my passport and without any visa - a local police woman/ border official looked kindly upon me and I was able to return on a later train back to Hung Hom without formal questioning.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I find these maps make more sense once to get used to where the places are in real scale.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I think the Elizabeth Line and Overground should get their own map - perhaps a symbol at interchange stations with the Underground (similar to National Rail symbols). This would of course, clutter the station names quite a lot. It would also turn one (complicated) map into 2.

In addition to this, removing ThamesLink seems logical considering it’s not even a TfL service. And now we’re up to 3 separate maps for what one is doing now. I guess there’s no easy fix to the issue really.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

boronia wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:44 am
Tim Williams wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 am So, if you think that Sydney has a "busy" system, have a look at this!!!!
Compare with Tokyo's.
And Singapore is fast catching up with 3 more subway lines due by the end of 2040.

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”