Photo Op Location Suggestions

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
AirBusTrain
Favourite Vehicle: VSTs and Commodores.

Photo Op Location Suggestions

Post by AirBusTrain »

Gday all, I am after some suggestions for where to get photos of all sorts of different buses in Sydney.

I will be driving down from Brisbane on the 1st of May, where I will be in Sydney til the 8th. I am wanting to get some oldies, such as the old Bustech ULFs, and old Customs, as well as some newer buses, such as the Custom Denning Element and Endeavour, and Gemilang electrics.

From what I have currently looked at, I don't think I will realistically get to each and every one of these locations within a week, with other sightseeing touristy stuff in play, such as, a couple pineapples in The Star, for my gamblers here.

In advance, I do apologize for the n00bishness. I know every little thing about SEQ bus routes, but the only bus route I know in Sydney, would be the 333 Bondi service.

Would really appreciate some suggestions, as well as some locals advice, whether the locals and drivers appreciate photos, or blatantly accuse an out of towner of being a stalker.

So far, my list is as follows:

Circular Quay
City QVB
Sydney Olympic Park
Liverpool station
Bankstown station
Blacktown station
Campbelltown station
Penrith station
Bondi Junction
Mt Druitt bus station
Parramatta
Castle Hill
Terrey Hills
Briens T Way
I like big bus and I can not lie.
1whoknows

Re: Photo Op Location Suggestions

Post by 1whoknows »

Thats a good start but perhaps add Chatswood and Hornsby. If you are getting around by car and prepared to put in the hours you could get some coverage at all those places over about 5 days. CQ is pretty useless for buses now as so few go there so maybe substitute the Railway Square/ Eddy Ave area where you should score a few electrics plus both light rail lines.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

That list would cover most of Sydney and most of the operators in Sydney. I do have a few things that I would like to add.

The attitude towards photographers seems to vary significantly between operators and areas in Sydney, however it is generally supportive. I have never faced any hostility from drivers or locals in the former STA operating areas (CBD, Eastern Suburbs, North Shore, Northern Beaches, Inner West and Inner South) or from those in the South or South West. I've only really had issues (both with drivers and locals) in the North West and Western Suburbs. Hillsbus and Busways drivers aren't the friendliest bunch. I've been verbally abused at both Blacktown and Mt Druitt stations, which is a reflection on the local demographics. Overall you should be fine.

I would second the suggestion for Railway Square/Pitt Street near Central over Circular Quay. There are very few buses through Circular Quay these days due to the Light Rail, but loads through Railway Square. You'd see loads of Gemilangs, Oranas and CB60s through there. This would likely be your best shot at seeing the Gemilang Elements, which are a main fixture on the Parramatta Road corridor which passes through Railway Square.

In terms of Custom Denning Elements, your best bet would be Bondi Junction. Waverley uses them quite frequently, and nearly all of their runs pass through Bondi Junction. Blacktown would be your best for Custom Endeavours, as Busways is the most prolific user of them and they operate out of their Blacktown Depot.

If you are trying to find a certain model of bus, searching the fleet number of one of that model in AnyTrip should bring up a list of buses of that model currently operating. For example searching 3121 will bring up all Custom Denning Elements, searching 3800 will bring up all Scania L113CRL Oranas or searching 8360 will bring up all Gemilang BYD Electrics.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

J_Busworth wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm
If you are trying to find a certain model of bus, searching the fleet number of one of that model in AnyTrip should bring up a list of buses of that model currently operating. For example searching 3121 will bring up all Custom Denning Elements, searching 3800 will bring up all Scania L113CRL Oranas or searching 8360 will bring up all Gemilang BYD Electrics.
I had not used that before but I find it brings up some interesting results.
If using ex STA fleet numbers it brings up buses with chassis type from all operators except where they have gone to Busways.
Or how do you search for models that operate only for operators other than STA or where no fleet numbers are used?

3121 brings up one at Busways, 2 at Transdev John Holland but the fourth one it is a school route number and has nothing to with the chassis type which can be misleading to an outsider.
3800 brought up 6 entries which all seemed OK,
8360 brought up 6 entries which all seemed OK.

This systems seems to be limited mainly to the ex STA regions.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have tried a few other things but it always seems to be limited to a maximum of 6 entries which often seems to make it limited to the area where the first six buses operate - one which had buses operating in Sydney only showed 6 Newcastle buses.
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Sydney Olympic Park is good when there is an event on, like the Royal Easter Show, but it has now finished so you won't find much there in May.
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Thank you guys, for your advice, I dearly appreciate it a lot.

1whoknows, I'll add Chatwood and Hornsby to the list, with a maybe for CQ, I'll try out the Railway Square spot. Thank you!!

J_Busworth, I will be sure to bring some backup to the West 😋 I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some Elements and Oranas! And thank you for your advice regarding AnyTrip, I've been trying to work out how to use AnyTrip for Sydney. It's very different to using the Queensland page, that's for sure.

Fleet Lists, I've noted down your advice, I'll eventually work out how to use AnyTrip in Sydney. 😁

Glen, I've been seeing some photos on Facebook of SOP event buses, I wasn't sure whether SOP was in use all the time, but figured out it's the same concept as Gabba/Suncorp buses, like here in Brisbane. Thank you!

Thank you all for the advice, can't wait to go down for the trip! 😁💯
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Having been to Sydney a fair bit myself, I can give you some pointers on where you should stand to take photos

When you get to Chatswood, I've found the best place to take bus photos from is right outside the Orchard Hotel on the above ground walkway on Orchard road, this provides a perfect angle to get all of the buses as their coming out from underneath Chatswood station. I don't recommend standing on Help Street facing towards Orchard road as on a Sunny day the big buildings tend to cast a lot of shadows making the lighting not ideal for photography and the photos will usually come up dark unless you like messing with your cameras ISO settings.

Chatswood would net you now Busways Waverly buses, Forest Terry Hills and I think Keolis Downer Northern Beaches buses (Tho you'll have to walk to to the otherside of Chatswood station to see the KD buses which would be Victoria Ave).

Hornsby the only place I've found decent to take photos from is where Google is telling me Hornsby Station, Stand A (Bus stand) is located. An Out of service Transdev bus will usually be parked in the way but on the good chance it isn't there, you've got a great vantage point of all the buses coming from Hornsby station as they then leave to turn onto Peats Ferry Road. You want to make sure when your at Stand A your facing towards the station as buses will come towards you as they exit Hornsby Station.

If you happen to be at Hornsby during trackwork occurring, Jersey street (right next to Hornsby Mart) I've found in the past a lot of standby replacement buses will park down there including some Hopkinsons and Transdev + Hillsbuses).

Liverpool I didn't get to hang around for much last year (Was intending to make another trip just this past weekend but didn't make it) but when you get there there's two places to ideally get photos from.

You can either stand on Moore Street facing towards the station to get photos of the buses as their exiting.

Or if your brave enough within the station itself, keep walking past Stand F, you will eventually reach some benches I believe that would back back out onto Moore Road, turn to face the station (of course) and you've got a great vantage point of the buses there. I didn't actually do this as I'm not sure how the locals would react and didn't want to draw attention so I just stood on Moore road to take photos.

Transit Systems, Interline, Transdev service Liverpool. Anytrip tells me CDI's do run to Liverpool operated by TSA but I'm not sure whether you'll see them when you get down there, seems to be a weekday only thing at best. Interline is known for their exciting unique mix of Asian buses, usually Bunch of Daewoo's, Kinglongs & Yutong (Along with a one off B7RLE with KL bodywork). Also This is one of the places on your list you'd find the remaining Metrobus routes running. M90.

Circular Quay, was just down there, use to be exciting back in the day with all the various STA routes & buses running through it, now days not so much unless your there for other things. You'd probably just go here to get photos of the B12BLEA buses in their Bondi Beach 333 wrap. I don't know if it'll continue under Transdev John Holland but when I was in Sydney last year prior to the last of the STA operations being handed over to TDJH, the Custom Denning Element (E-Bus) did appear on the 333 which I did ride on it's first day of service. Wasn't trackable at the time due to certain equipment missing but that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

QVB - Go stand where the traffic lights are facing the QVB on 80 George Street, if the lighting is good that day you'll get plenty of good photos of the buses here. Off the top of my head you'll find Forest Terry Hills, Hillsbus (who depending on the day may be using 14.5M Scania's or the rare Volvo B10MA articulated CB50) and now Transit Systems (Think Tempe depot). Hillsbus may also occasionally operate their Bustech CDI's to here but I can't 100% remember what route, think one of the 610's. Again would have to be a weekday thing not during school holidays.

None of the operators (Outside of KD NB for the B-Line service and Forest, Forest being once off on my recent visit) really run their Deckers of a Weekend, public holiday or school holiday which is sad tho locals to the region / area here might have a bit more knowledge than I do.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

There is one bus you need to see but it's hard to find as Interline doesn't send it out much these days
Bus is a AB Denning bodied Volvo B7RLE as seen here
https://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/di ... play_media
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:18 pm
I had not used that before but I find it brings up some interesting results.
If using ex STA fleet numbers it brings up buses with chassis type from all operators except where they have gone to Busways.
Or how do you search for models that operate only for operators other than STA or where no fleet numbers are used?

3121 brings up one at Busways, 2 at Transdev John Holland but the fourth one it is a school route number and has nothing to with the chassis type which can be misleading to an outsider.
3800 brought up 6 entries which all seemed OK,
8360 brought up 6 entries which all seemed OK.

This systems seems to be limited mainly to the ex STA regions.
It has more application when used in the mobile app, which will bring up around 20 entries and list them in order of distance from your location. I would definitely advocate for using this particular feature in the app on your phone over on the computer.

It definitely works for more than just the ex-STA regions. The numbers I provided were merely examples, but the system should work for most fleet numbers in Sydney. A few examples from non STA regions include
6886 brings up Bustech CDis from Hillsbus, TSA and Transdev
1480 brings up B10BLEs from Hillsbus
5005 brings up O500 VSTs from Transdev and Interline

@AirBusTrain I hope you are able to work it all out and use it to help you find the buses that you want.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes buses from those operators are brought up in the lists BUT for vehicle types but you can not use Fleet numbers from those operators.
And what does 6886 represent? I can not find such a fleet number? It does work but where do you get the 6886 from? Found it - it is a registration and not a fleet number in this case.
Similarly for m/o 1480 and 5005.
You did not mention registrations. Rather confusing to a visitor.

I guess it is all registrations as for the STA fleet numbers and registration numbers are the same.
Living in the Shire.
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Hi all, just arrived in Sydney, staying at Bass Hill for the week. Got my week planned and sorted, shall be a good stay!

One thing I noticed; speed cameras. I noticed about 20 or 30 of them on Pennant Hills Rd, bloody insane!!! :roll:

I'd like to thank all you guys for the advice, stay tuned for some photos! Will most likely be posting on Facebooks Bus Australia for the Facebook users.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Was that you taking photos at Bondi Junction yesterday? :?:
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Hi all, thank you all for your advice, I didn't make it to all my spots on the list, but made it to some good spots like Parramatta, Liverpool (where I had come across a fellow bus enthusiast, not sure of his name but I think he said he was from South Australia, if you're on here, hi!!), Bankstown (also came across another enthusiast, I think his name was Norm Chambers? seemed like a pretty cool guy!), Chatswood, Penrith, Blacktown, Bondi Beach and Bondi Junction, and a couple other places.

I found all the drivers to be very friendly, except for one driver at Penrith, who had somewhat accused me of taking photos of him. Other than that, it's been waves all around, and it was a very different scenery and feel compared to Brisbane.

There was a lot more variety seen compared to Brisbane, it was cool to see VSTs amongst CR228Ls, instead of CR228Ls constantly going past in the same old blue yellow and white livery.

I got the hang of AnyTrip, mostly. There were a couple of buses tracking differently, especially the Gemilang double decker, which had been tracking as a Scania.

I found that driving around in Sydney was very different to Brisbane, I really don't know how bus drivers do it there!

Overall, it was a great trip. I will be back eventually, but won't be down any time soon.

Again, thank you to those who had given me advice.
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Noel wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:13 am Was that you taking photos at Bondi Junction yesterday? :?:
Saturday I were at Bankstown, but Sunday I were at Bondi Beach, got a couple photos there, then went to Bondi Junction around 1630-1800.
I wore my W1463 BT bus shirt on those days :D
Noel

Post by Noel »

AirBusTrain wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm Saturday I were at Bankstown, but Sunday I were at Bondi Beach, got a couple photos there, then went to Bondi Junction around 1630-1800.
How was your shot of electric (3127) then :wink: ?
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Noel wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:58 pm
AirBusTrain wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm Saturday I were at Bankstown, but Sunday I were at Bondi Beach, got a couple photos there, then went to Bondi Junction around 1630-1800.
How was your shot of electric (3127) then :wink: ?
It was one of my decent shots, despite my 80D playing up on the afternoon. :D Trying to upload the photo, but many technical limitations aren't allowing me to upload it..
Noel

Post by Noel »

AirBusTrain wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am It was one of my decent shots, despite my 80D playing up on the afternoon. :D Trying to upload the photo, but many technical limitations aren't allowing me to upload it..
Count yourself lucky. It hasn't turned a wheel since that day :cry:
AirBusTrain

Post by AirBusTrain »

Noel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pm
AirBusTrain wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am It was one of my decent shots, despite my 80D playing up on the afternoon. :D Trying to upload the photo, but many technical limitations aren't allowing me to upload it..
Count yourself lucky. It hasn't turned a wheel since that day :cry:
Oh what, really?! Hopefully it's out in service again soon enough..

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”