New G class order

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Myrtone

New G class order

Post by Myrtone »

100 new trams have been ordered to replace all the remaining Z class and some of the A & B class. They will apparently have batteries to even the load. These will also allow for short sections without wires. If they do not need to go very far on battery power, maybe the batteries will not add substantially to the weight.

Currently, all our low floor tram types have hand controls, do a lot of drivers out there still prefer pedals in spite of not needing to steer?
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Re: New G class order

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

The promo design for these trams makes me want to puke.
I prefer my catches rare.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Apparently these new trams will be able to run on short sections of unelectrified track. So, with a new depot being built for them, maybe that depot could be unwired except under the depot roof.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

But why? Melbourne doesn't have unelectrified portions at all.
I prefer my catches rare.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Depot track fans can require complex OHW installations, so battery operation could reduce costs.

However, you would have the possibility of damage being caused by drivers overlooking the need to drop the pans before entering the depot yard?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

If the spur line to Maidstone is unwired, then contactors in the wires would ensure that one set of facing points would be set for going around the corner if the pantograph is up and that another is set for going left if that pantograph is up.
boronia

Post by boronia »

That "explanation" doesn't seem to make much sense.

Could you try again?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

I mean the points could only be set to lead a tram to the depot if the pantograph is lowered.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Okay, so there will be a junction where route 82 tram turn onto and off Williamson road. The new tracks will be west of this junction and lead to the new depot. If that spur line is unwired then trams approaching from the south side will only be able to go left unless the pantograph is lowered. The drivers of trams approaching from the west will have to lower pantographs to go straight ahead.

Does that explanation of that example make more sense?
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

^ There’s nothing at all to suggest even a remote chance that the depot spur will be unwired.

I suspect that the ability to run short distances on battery power is primarily intended to eliminate the possibility of trams getting stuck in dead sections and needing to be rescued. It causes severe disruption on the few occasions that it happens.
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jarf wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:46 pm
I suspect that the ability to run short distances on battery power is primarily intended to eliminate the possibility of trams getting stuck in dead sections and needing to be rescued. It causes severe disruption on the few occasions that it happens.
The batteries are for somewhat more than that purpose. From PTV:
Onboard energy storage to limit current draw at peak times and reduce power use. This will reduce the need for expensive infrastructure upgrades, such as new or upgraded substations, and reduce network costs. The new trams will use 30–40 per cent less energy per passenger compared to an E Class tram, by using onboard energy storage technology and regenerative braking.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Yes but since a new depot is being built for these trams, it might well be worth having batteries big enough for an unwired spur.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Well write to PTV and suggest it
@ The Museum of Fire.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

What’s the time frame on the construction of the facility / depot?
boronia

Post by boronia »

The Next Generation Trams, to be known as the ‘G Class’, will be built in Melbourne and are anticipated to start rolling out from 2025.

Presumably the new facilities will be ready by then.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

I have had concerns lately about the deadman equipment on the current Flexities. Before vigilance control was fitted to the Combinos, Combino drivers only had to release the deadman's trigger (or button on the side of the armrest) when coming to a stop after holding one or the other continuously for more than four minutes, otherwise the tram would not be able to move.

E class drivers have to hold the deadman's trigger until a red light flashes and then either briefly release it or press a vigilance button. Though this light does not flash very often, the E class drivers do not have to release it when coming to a stop, not matter how long they hold it continuously.

Perhaps the drivers of the next new trams should be required to release it while stationary after doing all the following:
  • Hold it continuously for for than a certain amount of time
  • Come to a stop
  • Remain stationary for more than a second or a few seconds
Additionally there should be a requirement to release it if the doors are opened; If the doors are opened while it is still holding it continuously, the tram is not able to move until the driver releases and reapplies it.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”