Install ZoomInfo Community App

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
ptlivestock

Install ZoomInfo Community App

Post by ptlivestock »

On entering the board this morning I am confronted with "Install ZoomInfo Community App" and no way to escape it and enter the board fleet lists etc. Is this something new and a requirement to participate

Regards
Peter Trevor
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Install ZoomInfo Community App

Post by Fleet Lists »

Totally unknown to me.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I had this popup too by visiting the homepage, seems the front end of https://www.busaustralia.com/ has been getting hijacked by malware for the last couple of months. Starting with that "Accept security challenge" nonsense which isn't "real" & If anyone gets the popup they just refresh the page and quickly click where you want it go, it'll take a couple of seconds for the popup to appear.

I'm not 100% sure what the back end of the busaustralia.com runs on but I would really really be pushing your webmaster and politely informing them that this is still an ongoing issue and potentially puts visitors at risk if they are to accept & download anything (which could start from malware to Trojans and well other nasty harmful viruses). It's not worth the risk of being polite after a while if they still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. From my experience this should be something easy to deal with but without knowing what the backend of ATDB is like, I can't comment how one would go removing it from the homepage.

For anyone who did go through with downloading anyway because they were afraid, I'd recommend of course doing a full virus scan with your anti-virus software and avoid logging into anything to do with personal information (Banking, purchases, social media etc). Also log onto another secure device and change passwords if necessary.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thank You - I will pass that on.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Zoominfo according to a 15 second search appears to be an actual company but I'm really skeptical that whatever is behind the popup on the homepage is even remotely legit in the first place. I wouldn't be one to trust something unsolicited and this could well and truly be masquerading itself as the real Zoominfo but it is not actually Zoominfo & just a easy way for who ever is behind this to have unsuspecting peoples machines infected and then have to "pay up" to have the viruses removed from their machine (100% chance they'll run off with your money or data anyway). Do remember nasty things like Ransomware is real and is a good way to say good bye to all your data if infected with it.

This is why I mentioned to really push the Webmaster on getting this resolved ASAP, this has unfortunately been an ongoing issue for the past month or 3 now and realistically shouldn't be something that is still ongoing, I don't want to go into the red area here & I mean no offense but having done IT work & the way I'm seeing it the attitude of the current WM (Webmaster) is "I'll deal with it when I can be bothered too" but again I don't 100% know the full story so that may be too harsh but in reality this would be something resolved in an hour or under that, less if you keep backups and can restore the site or page to a date you can find before it was infected with whatever this is.

The good at this stage is that this is just a unsolicited popup & that the domain isn't being hijacked and redirected to some shady website by whatever is behind this. I've seen this actually happened to a Transit Operator around here last year (not a small one, big one) Their website domain was redirecting to a not so nice or suspicious website when you went to visit it.. I tried reporting the issue directly to them but of course cutting measures meant I couldn't reach the operator directly and had to go through TNSW, despite telling the TNSW operator the seriousness of the issue, they wouldn't pass the issue onto the transit operator or the TNSW's IT team (who I suspect is behind running said operators website).
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”