Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

pasha241

Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Post by pasha241 »

Hello i am new member. i just thinking what was idea for Brisbane route if you were in Charge. (Sorry if there is a threat for this)

Here is list of My idea (Mostly in South/South Eastern Route as i not really familiar with northerrn area)

Route 105, 107, 108, 172, 202
• Route terminates at city will extend to Fortitude Valley and Outbound travel will start from Fortitude Valley. (Follow 184, 185, 210, 212)
• Route will remain Travel via Adelaide St (Outbound) and Elizabeth St (Inbound).
Route Outbound
Route Inbound

Route 192
• Route terminates at city will extend to Fortitude Valley and Outbound travel will start from Fortitude Valley.
• Route will travel to/from Fortitude Valleky via Adelaide St (Similar to 124 and 125).
Route Outbound
Route Inbound

Route 110 extended to Richlands Stn (Queen St Bus Stn - Richlands Stn)
• Route will extended from Inala Plaza to Richlands Stn. Reason is to have connection between Acacia Ridge and Richlands Stn.
Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map

Route 122 extended to Richlands Stn (Garden City - Richlands Stn)
• Route will extended from Inala Plaza to Richlands Stn. and the route will change in Inala Area
• The reason is to have new connection between Garden City/Coopers Plains and Richlands.
• All stops in Inala residence area that previous Serve 122 to Garden city will serve 122 to Richland Stn. While the Garden City bound will located accross the st.
Route Westbound Map
Route Eastbound Map

Route 124 extended to Garden City (Fortitude Valley - Garden City)
• Route will extended from Sunnybank Plaza to Garden City
• The reason is to make more service from Coopers plants to Macgragor.
• Sunnybank plaza bus stop still use for 124. However passangers must look at their desto to check destination.
Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map

Route 135 extended to Browns Plains Bus Stn (Queen St Bus Stn - Browns Plains)
• Route will extended from Parkinson to Browns Plains Stn.
• Route will Change also at Sunnybank. \The reason is reduce duplicate near Altandi Stn
Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map
• Route will increase frequency to 30 Min weekday. (Just additional idea).

only for this if i have additional maybe i edit this page.
Last edited by pasha241 on Wed May 11, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Re: Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Post by ^^__^^ »

If it were me I would focus on trying to get more people to ‘interchange’ and try to move away from the current model of one bus one trip.

There needs to be more ‘cross town’ type services such as the city gliders, but make sure they don’t all go through the Cultural Centre. One of the Councillors has proposed two new Gliders. One North South (Gabba to Northshore Hamilton) and I think the other was an East West one (West End to Carindale).

I’d also like to see a larger ‘City Loop’, do away with the 234, and have one go Gabba, Main ST Kangaroo Point, Ann St, George St, Roma St, William Jolly Brg, Grey St, Vulture St, Stanley St and back to Gabba.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

There definitely seems to be a lot of radial routes in Brisbane, and that is one of its downsides.

Without looking more in-depth, the impression I got of the peak "Rocket" services was they're effectively trying to run a one-seat CBD journey to every suburban street along the busway catchment (and then some?). I'm a firm believer in the one-seat journey, particularly where interchanging slows down the journey - but even this was a bridge too far for me. Run these services - but only service the major corridors, and frequently. Let feeders handle the backstreets, which leads into my next point.

All the busways seem to sit relatively neatly between rail lines (sometimes several!), yet the busway seems incredibly popular* - so why not run services (i.e. BUZ routes) between two or more railway lines that also intersect one or more busways?

* Is the popularity of the busway due to the one-seat journey, superior service levels compared to the railway lines or a lack of cross-town services to ease pressure on the inner section?
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Route 170/172 Merge (Fortitude Valley - Garden City)
• Merge Route 170 and 172.
• This route will increase to every 30 Minutes (because this route is merge route.
Route Outbound
Route Inbound

Route 460 extended to Browns Plains Bus Stn (Queen St Bus Stn - Browns Plains)
• Route will extended from Heathwood to Browns Plains. Reason is to have connection between Forrest Lake/Heathwood and Browns Plains.
Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map

Route 598/599 (Great Circle Line)
• New sunday service (60 min frequency).
• Increase frequency to 15 min on Weekday.
• Additional morning and late night service.
• Including new shift from Other depot for GCL. (Virginia for Chermside start, Garden City for Garden City start or even Carina for Carindale Start)
AUSCreeperCo

Post by AUSCreeperCo »

I will disagree your idea regarding Route 460 (Heathwood to City), mainly because that you are already duplicating Route 534 (Browns Plains to Springfield (via. Forest Lake) which is serving the exact same purpose. In hindsight, I'd rather have Route 460 to stop at Mt Ommaney and then fix the bus route mess in the Centenary suburbs so that there is a high frequency bus to the City (i.e., Riverhills/Sumner to City - via. Mt Ommaney, Jindalee and Indooroopilly) and local buses running to Darra, Inala, Wacol, and Seventeen Miles Rocks towards Oxley.

There is also other things when considering bus routing like, the needs of the community (i.e. where they go often), travel time from Point A to B and at different times of day, road infrastructure (i.e. motorway, busway, dedicated bus lanes, arterial roads, local roads), current and future patronage growth, location of depots, bus availability and roster timetabling, etc. Also, Brisbane City Council buses will almost never cross council boundary lines except in some circumstances, like Route 140 and 150 starting at Browns Plains (Logan) but the next stop straight after is Algester/Calamvale/Parkinson.
pasha241 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:52 am Route 170/172 Merge (Fortitude Valley - Garden City)
• This route will increase to every 30 Minutes (because this route is merge route.
Route Outbound
Route Inbound

• Route will extended from Heathwood to Browns Plains. Reason is to have connection between Forrest Lake/Heathwood and Browns Plains.
Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map

• Including new shift from Other depot for GCL. (Virginia for Chermside start, Garden City for Garden City start or even Carina for Carindale Start)
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

AUSCreeperCo wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:27 am I will disagree your idea regarding Route 460 (Heathwood to City), mainly because that you are already duplicating Route 534 (Browns Plains to Springfield (via. Forest Lake) which is serving the exact same purpose. In hindsight, I'd rather have Route 460 to stop at Mt Ommaney and then fix the bus route mess in the Centenary suburbs so that there is a high frequency bus to the City (i.e., Riverhills/Sumner to City - via. Mt Ommaney, Jindalee and Indooroopilly) and local buses running to Darra, Inala, Wacol, and Seventeen Miles Rocks towards Oxley.

There is also other things when considering bus routing like, the needs of the community (i.e. where they go often), travel time from Point A to B and at different times of day, road infrastructure (i.e. motorway, busway, dedicated bus lanes, arterial roads, local roads), current and future patronage growth, location of depots, bus availability and roster timetabling, etc. Also, Brisbane City Council buses will almost never cross council boundary lines except in some circumstances, like Route 140 and 150 starting at Browns Plains (Logan) but the next stop straight after is Algester/Calamvale/Parkinson.
pasha241 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:52 am Route 170/172 Merge (Fortitude Valley - Garden City)
Route Outbound
Route Inbound

Route Outbound Map
Route Inbound Map

i agree with you.

i think they should retime and coordinate the frequency of 453/454/460 between Mt Ommaney and city. Also 460 i think should stop at Fig tree (where 453/454 stop also).

the new frequency will be: M-F: 10 Min, Weekend: 15 Min (460 will be 30 min on sunday).

also i not sure is it good idea but how about make some of Indooroopilly - City route (either 425/430/453/454/460) extend to Fortitute Valley.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

next idea

Make Ipswich rd service (100, 110, 115, 124, 125, 172) stop at PAH Station lower level
• Route will stop at Bottom side of PAH Station. The reason is to make easy transfer passangers between UQ lakes to Ipswich Rd Corridors (Rather than going to Gabba or Mater Hill. (Although you must go down the busway to do transfer).
• Route will remain Travel via Adelaide St (Outbound) and Elizabeth St (Inbound).
Bus Stop Outbound
Bus Stop Outbound

although this could make journey of ipswich rd coridor slower but it has benefit for UQ Passangers.

Route 460 Heathwood - City
• Route will terminates at Cultural Centre.
• Route from Toowong to Cultural centre will follow 444 route and vice versa.
• Route will stop at Kenmore/FTP stop at Centenery Hwy (Where 45x stop).

Centenery - City coridor (45x&460
• At night the frequency will be fix. It will coordinate the freuqncy of every 20 min. (Previously bus depart from city every 5 min then wait 45/50). the reason is to have good coordinate frequency.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Not my suggestion - stumbled across this whilst looking for something unrelated.
Westend Newsletters wrote: ON THE BUSES – PROTESTORS BOARD THE 192 BUS.
by Rose Lane Apr 30, 2022

On Friday, 22 April, about forty people joined Councillor Jonathon Sri and Amy MacMahon MP in a protest on the 192 bus. The 192 bus service goes from the UQ St Lucia campus to Wharf St in the city, but only Monday to Friday, and the last service leaves UQ at 6.20 pm and arrives back there at 7.52 pm. The protestors caught the bus from Montague Markets for the short trip to Mu’ooz Restaurant on Mollison St, refusing to pay the fare.

The protest had three points:
  • The infrequency of the 192 bus service;
  • The cost of public transport generally in Brisbane; and
  • The lack of public transport coverage in West End/South Brisbane, specifically the Montague Road/Peel Street/Grey Street triangle.
A petition has been instigated by State MP Amy MacMahon calling on the Brisbane City Council and Queensland government to improve the 192 bus service, demanding weekend and nighttime services and “turn up and go services, at least every 15 minutes”. Ms MacMahon says the state and local governments refuse to increase the frequency of service because of a lack of patronage. However, both she and Cr Sri argue that if the service were increased, more people would use it. The petition has not yet been put before the government, and when asked why they were staging a protest before tabling the petition, she and Cr Sri said they had spoken frequently to both levels of government with no result.

A spokesman for the State Department of Transport and Main Roads stated that they had received correspondence from Ms MacMahon regarding the matter but nothing from Cr Sri. Translink advises they have not yet responded to Ms MacMahon’s request.

When pressed about the timing of the action, Ms MacMahon said it was to coincide with the state budget in May and that she planned to present the petition to parliament before then. When asked whether the timing had anything to do with the federal election, she said it made people take more notice of what is happening around them but that the election was more a peripheral consideration. In her speech to the crowd, Ms MacMahon asked for as many people as possible to write to the Council and state government demanding more frequent, accessible, and free public transport.

Many of those in attendance cited congestion on the roads as a problem that would be managed better with more frequent, affordable, and accessible public transport.

One of the protestors, Meena, said she considers public transport a human right and should therefore be free. When asked about how she thought the government could pay for this, she replied;

“If the government is able to sink billions into military defence and the army, they can find a way to fund public transport for everyone else.”

Mark, another protestor, said he was angry about the wastefulness and inefficiency of the bus network in Brisbane.

“With the amount that’s spent on services today, the same amount could be spent to make the services so much better. It comes down to the split between Council and Translink.”

Brendan Donahue is a West End resident who lives in Hope Street, an area not serviced by a bus route. Brendan has to walk to the Cultural Centre to catch a bus, which wouldn’t be a problem, except Brendan is blind.

“I’m here to hold the government accountable for what they don’t do, and we should be really looking to improve our public transport, like including audio announcements for next stops…every time I get on a bus, I have to ask the driver to remind me to get off at a stop. I believe in 2022 that should not be the case,” Mr Donahue told the crowd.

Federal Greens Candidate for Griffith, Max Chandler-Mather, also spoke at the rally, raising two main points: the broader social benefit of free public transport: fewer cars on the road and, therefore, fewer CO2 emissions. He said free public transport could be funded by taxing billionaires and big corporations.

“So, every time we’re told that we’re demanding too much, all we’re saying is that we’re demanding the basics that we need to live a good life, like public transport, and the only people who are going to end up paying are people like Clive Palmer and Gina Reinhard who doubled their wealth during the pandemic.”

Mr Chandler-Mather said that since the introduction of free public transport for pensioners, more eligible people were using it, proving that patronage will increase if the service is free.

“That has a big, broad, flow-on social benefit. Less CO2 emissions, less people driving cars.”

The Westender asked the Brisbane City Council (BCC) several questions about the 192 bus service, and we were referred to Translink. Translink is a division of the Department of Main Roads which contracts BCC to provide the bus service.

A spokesperson for Translink provided the Westender with a written response stating;

“West End, Hill End, and Highgate Hill are well serviced by several high-frequency interconnected bus and ferry routes…these suburbs are located close to the St. Lucia UQ campus and direct access via active transport infrastructure is also available along the well-used Dutton Park bus and bike bridge…South East Queensland public transport fare affordability has been improving over the last seven years with fares remaining the same since January 2020.”

Translink said they were aware of Friday’s protest and the call to evade paying the fare, saying that fare evasion, “illegally takes fare revenue away from our public transport system and shows disrespect to our frontline workers—our bus drivers”.

The Palaszczuk government contributes $1 billion towards the cost of running Brisbane’s buses.

The Blue City Glider
Cr Sri said when the state government refused to install another ferry terminal in West End [the only terminal is at the eastern end of Orleigh Park], they claimed to have fixed the problem by adding the Blue City Glider bus service. Route 60 runs from the West End ferry terminal to the Teneriffe terminal seven days a week, every five minutes in peak times and every 10-15 minutes off-peak. On Fridays and Saturdays, the service runs twenty-four hours.

Community members submitted a petition to BCC in December 2020 requesting changes to the operation of the City Glider bus service along Montague Road. It argued that while the 192 bus stops outside the new Montague Markets, it doesn’t run in the evenings or on weekends. And while the City Glider runs daily and more frequently, it doesn’t stop outside the Montague Markets. Council’s response stated that this request;

“… would require a change to the current stopping pattern of the service and would result in the route no longer servicing the bus stops on Montague Road near Cordeaux Street. While this proposal would advantage passengers travelling to or from this catchment, residents in the vicinity of the existing stops at Cordeaux Street would be disadvantaged.”

However, Council also said in its response to the petitioners that Cr Sri;

“.. would be best placed to gauge community sentiment, conduct any community consultation about the proposed change and make a recommendation to Council.”

Council said that following this process if there was support for the proposal to alter the stopping pattern of the CityGlider (Blue), it would prepare a business case for TransLink for its consideration and approval.

Cr Sri told the Westender he had not had the resources to conduct such consultations with affected residents.

Providing Feedback to Translink

Translink told The Westender that suggestions for changes to services could be provided by residents online, via their customer service number, or by writing to the Minister or their local MP. All requests are referred to Network Planning Team and considered.

See details here: https://translink.com.au/contact-us/customer-feedback

What immediately comes to mind is:
- Why can't a few more stops be added to the Blue Glider along Montague Rd without sacrificing other stops?
- What's wrong with the 196 & 199 BUZ services?
- For areas outside the Blue Glider, 196 and 199 catchments (Dornoch Tce), could it be beneficial to extend the 199 down to UQ and do away with the 192 altogether?
- What on earth is the 198 supposed to accomplish!? I only learned of its existence because I clicked on a stop on Google Maps.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

pasha241 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:11 pm Hello i am new member. i just thinking what was idea for Brisbane route if you were in Charge. (Sorry if there is a threat for this)

Here is list of My idea (Mostly in South/South Eastern Route as i not really familiar with northerrn area)

only for this if i have additional maybe i edit this page.
If you want to change or add things, it would be better as a new reply (with quotes if necessary). Viewers would not likely be going back to your first post to check.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”