New Transperth Fares Schedule - January 2022

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

shinjiman

New Transperth Fares Schedule - January 2022

Post by shinjiman »

As promised by the WA Labor government the Transperth Fares will be capped to a 2-zone fare if you're travelling for more than 2 zones.
The fare to pay using DayRider and Family Rider is being set to 2 times of a 2-zone cash fare ticket, that is $9.8 for standard fare and $4.2 for the concession fare.
Transperth Website wrote: Image

Two-Zone Fare Cap

Sat 01 Jan

From 1 January 2022, there will be a significant change to the way fares are calculated.

You will now be able to travel anywhere on the Transperth network, up to nine zones, for no more than a two-zone fare.

The cost of a FamilyRider and DayRider will also decrease to $9.80.

If you are travelling using a SmartRider, continue to travel as normal and your fare will automatically be capped at two zones.

If you purchase a cash ticket, you will still need to select the number of zones you are travelling, however if you select zones two through nine your fare will be capped at the cost of a two-zone fare.
Last edited by shinjiman on Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Re: New Transperth Fares Schedule - January 2022

Post by Enviro 500 »

Are the zone boundaries being redrawn as a result?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

No - The notice stipulates this is a fare cap, and users will still be required to purchase the requisite ticket (up to 9 zones) to complete their journey. This is of course done automatically on SmartRider transactions.
hack404

Post by hack404 »

Merc1107 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm No - The notice stipulates this is a fare cap, and users will still be required to purchase the requisite ticket (up to 9 zones) to complete their journey. This is of course done automatically on SmartRider transactions.
It would be pretty ridiculous if people were fined for using a two zone ticket to travel from Perth to Mandurah.
LawBayly

Post by LawBayly »

hack404 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm No - The notice stipulates this is a fare cap, and users will still be required to purchase the requisite ticket (up to 9 zones) to complete their journey. This is of course done automatically on SmartRider transactions.
It would be pretty ridiculous if people were fined for using a two zone ticket to travel from Perth to Mandurah.
In that case, just always buy a 9 zone ticket, sounds simple to me. I can only assume they are doing this just so they can figure out where people are travelling. If someone buys a 2 zone ticket, it stipulates that they are can only travel a maximum distance of XX from that station which I assume is used to choose where to prioritize services. In practise I think they'll rely on more accurate Smartrider data anyway.

I wonder if they'll get rid of the Dayrider zone/time restrictions as they seem a little silly at this point. I suspect most people only take two trips in a day anyway and the dayrider is exactly the cost of two cash trips. Might even improve ontime running on busses in the evening as less people ask for tickets at that time.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

In the long run, it might be better to introduce distance-based fares, especially for 517 as it starts in Zone 2, crosses into Zone 3 and returns to Zone 2.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

hack404 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm
I'm wondering if it is to do with the fact that fares in zones 5-9 are valid for three hours whereas zones 1-4 are only valid for two hours. Surely people purchasing a 2 zone ticket and travelling through more than 2 zones would not get fined but on the other hand, it would be in their best interest to purchase a fare with the correct zone if they are travelling 5 or more zones so that they can benefit from the longer validity.

It would appear this would also be a loophole in that people only intending to travel 2-4 zones could purchase a 5-9 zone ticket for the same price and get an extra hour on their ticket. For some people doing their shopping, going to appointments, cinema etc, 3 hours would provide ample time to return using the same ticket, whereas 2 hours could be too tight.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Anomalies like that (short journeys being more expensive than
some longer ones - CircleRoute being a prominent example) are what the Government should've targeted with their reforms instead of chucking untold sums of money at a cheap fares regime. I do not believe for a moment public transport users are price sensitive, and anyone using cost as an excuse is either not looking at the whole picture, or just using it as an excuse to drive.

Returning to the CircleRoute example, I understand this route, other long one-zone services, or routes like the 517 (start Z2, pass into Z3 and back to Z2), sometimes had unique zone boundaries set to ensure short journeys were not more costly than a longer one.
hack404

Post by hack404 »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:19 pm Anomalies like that (short journeys being more expensive than
some longer ones - CircleRoute being a prominent example) are what the Government should've targeted with their reforms instead of chucking untold sums of money at a cheap fares regime.
I assume there will be more ticketing reform when the new ticketing system gets rolled out.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Would like to think so, but it shouldn't be necessary to upgrade the ticketing system to resolve long-standing issues with the zone-based fare system.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

LawBayly wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:00 pm I wonder if they'll get rid of the Dayrider zone/time restrictions as they seem a little silly at this point. I suspect most people only take two trips in a day anyway and the dayrider is exactly the cost of two cash trips. Might even improve ontime running on busses in the evening as less people ask for tickets at that time.
The 2022 Fare Schedule posters on buses and at stations confirm that DayRider will now allow for genuine all-day travel on weekdays.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Traklink wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:45 pm
LawBayly wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:00 pm I wonder if they'll get rid of the Dayrider zone/time restrictions as they seem a little silly at this point. I suspect most people only take two trips in a day anyway and the dayrider is exactly the cost of two cash trips. Might even improve ontime running on busses in the evening as less people ask for tickets at that time.
The 2022 Fare Schedule posters on buses and at stations confirm that DayRider will now allow for genuine all-day travel on weekdays.
The FamilyRider ticket is the only day ticket with time restrictions - that has not altered.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Just to be know that the late night services will be re-applied from 4 Friday 2022.
Transperth Website wrote: Image

Late Night Trains - Reintroduction of Fares

Fri 04 Feb

From Friday 4 February 2022, fares will be reintroduced on Transperth’s late-night train services.

These trips operate after midnight on Friday and Saturday nights (technically Saturday and Sunday mornings). From this date, all passengers will be required to pay a fare to travel.

Fares on the Transperth system have been capped at a two-zone fare, so you can travel anywhere on the Transperth network (including trains after midnight) for $4.90, or less if you are travelling on a SmartRider or have a concession.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The Minister released a statement that suggested this was done in a bid to improve passenger safety; evidently, they've a lot of trouble with itinerants taking advantage of the free ride. So that makes this a textbook case of price discrimination - it's something that's been seen in several European cities that tried free public transport, where the initiative has had to be reversed due to the services being used by itinerants. Other issues cited were an unfavourable modeshare change away from walking and cycling, causing spiralling costs as services were increased.

If it only costs $4.90 at most, it's not a bad deal. The trouble is, you get your train, get to the destination station, then what? If you've had a wild night, you can't drive home. The bus network runs on the assumption that the fleet will turn into pumpkins by 2500hrs at the very, very latest. Taxis and Rideshares are a spendy proposition in peak periods (if you can even get one to turn up - I've had an Uber accept a trip, only to spend another 20mins going in the opposite direction. When they did ultimately arrive, the driver told me they were carrying a passenger with another rideshare company :roll: ). I think there'd be a case for Friday/Saturday overnight services, especially on the more popular routes linking to the train lines and some of the more popular corridors out of the CBD.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:05 pm The Minister released a statement that suggested this was done in a bid to improve passenger safety; evidently, they've a lot of trouble with itinerants taking advantage of the free ride. So that makes this a textbook case of price discrimination - it's something that's been seen in several European cities that tried free public transport, where the initiative has had to be reversed due to the services being used by itinerants. Other issues cited were an unfavourable modeshare change away from walking and cycling, causing spiralling costs as services were increased.

If it only costs $4.90 at most, it's not a bad deal. The trouble is, you get your train, get to the destination station, then what? If you've had a wild night, you can't drive home. The bus network runs on the assumption that the fleet will turn into pumpkins by 2500hrs at the very, very latest. Taxis and Rideshares are a spendy proposition in peak periods (if you can even get one to turn up - I've had an Uber accept a trip, only to spend another 20mins going in the opposite direction. When they did ultimately arrive, the driver told me they were carrying a passenger with another rideshare company :roll: ). I think there'd be a case for Friday/Saturday overnight services, especially on the more popular routes linking to the train lines and some of the more popular corridors out of the CBD.
I'd say most, if not all of the current 900 series corridors out of the city centre would be popular (910/930/940*/950/960/970/995) for sure. I believe night services are a common thing in London and have been for a long time, with the concept brought over to Singapore some years back (services currently suspended due to Covid-19).

Clubbers leaving Freo could also benefit if 910 and 915 operated out of Freo station all night during weekends.

*Late 2022 onwards
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Absolutely right. Some of the late night services out of Freo can be somewhat busy on Fridays and Saturdays - well, before COVID anyway. If the demand is really only setdowns after Freo, and the funding is so constrained - run shortened services. The last 910T only goes as far as Canning Bridge, the 511F and 513F terminate their last in Samson and Kardinya, respectively.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:34 pm I'd say most, if not all of the current 900 series corridors out of the city centre would be popular (910/930/940*/950/960/970/995) for sure. I believe night services are a common thing in London and have been for a long time, with the concept brought over to Singapore some years back (services currently suspended due to Covid-19).

Clubbers leaving Freo could also benefit if 910 and 915 operated out of Freo station all night during weekends.

*Late 2022 onwards
You don’t need to look as far as London or Singapore - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, even little old Adelaide have buses than run all night. Hard to fathom that Perth do not, despite the huge population growth in recent years.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The sad reality is, it doesn't matter where the idea comes from, it won't happen until successive State Governments in W.A. abandon their propensity to go for the big-ticket infrastructure items, and focus more on the day-to-day side of things. Labor at present want to extend two rail lines, build another two (spurs) lines, there's the Smart Freeway business and all sorts of other bigger projects ticking away to keep up appearances. Bus service expansion more or less halted in 2016 and that's where things have stood for nearly six years now. Perth's suburban sprawl hasn't stopped - but (bus) service expansion more or less has.

Yes, some of these projects are necessary. Unfortunately, it feels a lot like they're built in isolation, and not part of a broader 'network' effort. As I mentioned above, what's the good of extra late night trains without even a rudimentary bus network to support them?
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:10 pm Absolutely right. Some of the late night services out of Freo can be somewhat busy on Fridays and Saturdays - well, before COVID anyway. If the demand is really only setdowns after Freo, and the funding is so constrained - run shortened services. The last 910T only goes as far as Canning Bridge, the 511F and 513F terminate their last in Samson and Kardinya, respectively.
This is what we did in Melbourne. We only got regular routes running after midnight on weekends last year. Some routes go as far as they can in 30 min then turn back so they can form the next departure an hour later. Longer routes do similar but 1 hour trips, with 2 buses needed to run an hourly service.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”