Inner West Light Rail observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Inner West Light Rail observations

Post by Swift »

How's the public meant to relate to that? That might be the idea.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Swift wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:00 pm How's the public meant to relate to that? That might be the idea.
The public won't care about vessel name.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

works to possibly rectify platform height at Capitol Square were being undertaken over the weeknd
ACM
Favourite Vehicle: O305 / V Set

Post by ACM »

I was discussing with some people the photos of the cracks under the trams. They reckoned the crack pattern didn't look right for steel - perhaps aluminium or composites. Does anyone have the facts?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ACM wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:07 pm I was discussing with some people the photos of the cracks under the trams. They reckoned the crack pattern didn't look right for steel - perhaps aluminium or composites. Does anyone have the facts?
It's aluminium, a common product for public transport vehicle bodies because of weight saving.
billbuch

Post by billbuch »

Citadis vehicles are now frequently running (testing) all the way to Dulwich Hill at what appear to be operating speeds. Not sure if this means the Citadis vehicles might be used on the whole line (and not just to Lilyfield) sooner than initially announced?
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Possibly proof of concept testing? Which could perhaps see spare sets used to increase services when all is back to normal?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I wonder if there are enough spare Citadis to run the full line? I think they could only promise a 15 min service to Lilyfield.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

boronia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:36 pm I wonder if there are enough spare Citadis to run the full line?
I doubt it personally but happy to be corrected - I make a guesstimate that the most they can promise is 6 trams, for a 10/12 mins service between Central and Lilyfield or those 6 trams plus 6 repaired Urbos for a full service between Central and Dulwich Hill.

The testing of Citadis all the way down to Dulwich Hill before passenger service has even been introduced on the initial section of the line sounds very promising and implies that things are going better than expected.

If they want more trams for L1 or to restore service sooner, another way they could in my opinion easily get more trams for L1 is to split some L2/L3 services in two to be served by single trams instead. Some of these services, especially those at night, are hardly that busy to be honest, however if they did that, Labor would be clogging up the media whinging about it as they do for every little thing
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm
boronia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:36 pm I wonder if there are enough spare Citadis to run the full line?
I doubt it personally but happy to be corrected - I make a guesstimate that the most they can promise is 6 trams, for a 10/12 mins service between Central and Lilyfield or those 6 trams plus 6 repaired Urbos for a full service between Central and Dulwich Hill.

The testing of Citadis all the way down to Dulwich Hill before passenger service has even been introduced on the initial section of the line sounds very promising and implies that things are going better than expected.

If they want more trams for L1 or to restore service sooner, another way they could in my opinion easily get more trams for L1 is to split some L2/L3 services in two to be served by single trams instead. Some of these services, especially those at night, are hardly that busy to be honest, however if they did that, Labor would be clogging up the media whinging about it as they do for every little thing
I remember L1 took about 35-40 minutes one way. A round trip with turnaround would take less than 90 minutes. They could operate 6 trams at 15 minute frequency.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

They are adding many new temporary speed restrictions, I guess to account for the difference in wheel profile, so expect the journey time to be noticeably longer. For example Fish Market to John St Square is now only
25 km/hr.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Perhaps they will begin a Dulwich Hill to Circular Quay service when this is all over!
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

[delete]
Last edited by jpp42 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jpp42 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:28 pm
The triangle at Haymarket only faces towards Central, not towards Circular Quay, unfortunately.
The turnout actually faces CQ (it's OK I sometimes get confused myself!).
boronia

Post by boronia »

gilberations wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am Perhaps they will begin a Dulwich Hill to Circular Quay service when this is all over!
The are plenty of passengers going to/from Central, they are not likely to cut this back.
@ The Museum of Fire.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

boronia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 pm
gilberations wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am Perhaps they will begin a Dulwich Hill to Circular Quay service when this is all over!
The are plenty of passengers going to/from Central, they are not likely to cut this back.
I’m sorry I assumed the As Well was implied
boronia

Post by boronia »

It will be interesting to see what happens after the CAFs are back in service. They would have to keep a couple of Citadis specifically to run CQ alternatives. Worth it?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I personally think after all 12 CAFs are back, it’ll either be the borrowed Citadis go back to Randwick or they’ll stay on to increase the service frequency - that is, until those extra 4 CAFs currently on order arrive, then I think there’d really be no use anymore for the Citadis on L1.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: Worth it?
Probably not, would result in a combination of single and double length trams down George Street with the innefficencies that brings plus the curve at George and Hay is fairly tight so trams would have to go through at a snails pace in turn holding up L2/L3 services.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The idea is that passengers transfer at Hay and George. It's a shame that they changed their mind late on converting more of George to a mall, otherwise the Chinatown stop could have been closer to the intersection to enable a more comfortable change in adverse weather.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Are they already running decoupled Citadis yet?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Reduction of services for tram replacement route 2L1 Central - The Star loop service.

Recent timetable versions.
* 10/01/2022 - 22/04/2022. Services from early morning until late evening. Monday - Friday and Saturday.

* 10/01/2022 - 27/01/2022. No change to services, change to the date only due to another version below.

* 28/01/2022 - ??/04/2022. Services from early morning until late evening now operate on Friday only. Saturday services continue and remain unchanged.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 pm
boronia wrote: Worth it?
Probably not, would result in a combination of single and double length trams down George Street with the innefficencies that brings plus the curve at George and Hay is fairly tight so trams would have to go through at a snails pace in turn holding up L2/L3 services.
The L1 seems to get priority over L2/3 at the crossing, with the latter often having to wait while an outbound L1 loads at Capitol Square, and sometimes also for an inbound L1.

The L2/3 goes through the crossing at a snail's pace anyway .
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Appeared to be some trackwork being performed on Hay Street opposite Belmore Park last night, bit difficult to ascertain exactly what as it was surrounded by shade cloth.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Stu wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:03 am Reduction of services for tram replacement route 2L1 Central - The Star loop service.
Oddly, realtime apps seem to show services continuing to run full-time daily. Perhaps a timetable glitch?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”