Skybus/Kinetic (230) MAN/GBV with MAN Lion City front

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Noel

Skybus/Kinetic (230) MAN/GBV with MAN Lion City front

Post by Noel »

One of the more attractive imports recently to hit the streets is Skybus (230), a MAN 19.320 with Global Bus Ventures of New Zealand bodywork featuring the very attractive MAN Lion City front.

These shots taken at Deer Park Station. Thanks to the very friendly driver for allowing me to look around :)

Image by Leon, on Flickr

Image by Leon, on Flickr

Imageby Leon, on Flickr

These following shots show the interior mirror setup where the conventional mirrors are replaced by camera's with LCD screens inside. There is a handful of these operating in Sydney at Interline and Murrays.

Imageby Leon, on Flickr

by Leon, on Flickr

by Leon, on Flickr

Noel :D
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Skybus/Kinetic (230) MAN/GBV with MAN Lion City front

Post by Merc1107 »

LCDs replacing mirrors? That is solution in search of a problem.
Sure, the driver or other motorists can cause the loss of a mirror, but being put into the situation where an electrical fault renders the bus completely unroadworthy is an unpleasant thought. Amazingly, some of the camera on buses (such as the "blindspot cameras" that are becoming more prevalent) are linked wirelessly, and prone to issues with the cameras not even connecting each time they are activated. And we call this "progress" :roll:

Other than that, though, the bus has a pleasant aesthetic that is lacking from some of the domestic offerings. The blue seat moquettes and no standing demarcations make for a less intense interior than the red markings one often finds. The cage arrangement looks a bit nicer than the "monkey cages" that are prevalent in some jurisdictions - although I'd wonder how much trouble the glass creates with reflections.

Thanks for sharing these shots.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This is something different and to us enthusiasts something exciting that doesn't exactly go for that weird futuristic look but still managing to look stylish and modern. I have a fondness for the Lions City as the series is pleasing to the eye and nicely designed, some may not like that big curved roof pod however I don't mind it, if it blends in it works for me.

To also see a Lions City that isn't a Gemilang build is also a welcome change, seeing what various body builder companies can come up with while still keeping with the series is amazing. I'd love to see more of these from GBV and hope it just isn't a one-off. I do miss the days when we'd get similar bodykits to those that were offered in Europe and from there were built locally. this, this may mark the return of that?

As for the Mirror, the technology is okay but I'm definitely with Merc1107 and despite being into technology myself, I just don't want to see every aspect of our lives controlled or ran by electronics. I don't know if the technology is 100% there but one way the issue that Merc1107 points out could be resolved is having a regular every day glass mirror but when the bus is on & running, implement an digital overlay on top of it, if the digital mirror ever breaks for whatever reason then you'll still have a mirror that can be used without the digital display on top of it. On the other hand this may still present an unroadworthy issue as a vital piece of equipment has failed and regardless of whether it'll still be useable or not means it is off the road until it is fixed.

The interior is great, the Blue Moquette is a decent choice for this interior layout and is something I have seen on a few Bustechs. The sole mono rear door is something I don't think I've seen on a Lions City style bus but this one fits the layout and design well enough without it being a headache to the eyes. There is always room of going for dual-leaf or none at all. For Skybus I think this may suit them for now but depending what they intend on using the bus for could present some future issues.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Noel

Post by Noel »

The bus is currently used on a V-line service between Deer Park Station and Caroline Springs Station. It is one of two vehicles, with only one vehicle needed each week day. The service operates three trips in the morning and three in the afternoon.

The other vehicle is (228) a MAN 19.320/Volgren Optimus.
Image by Leon, on Flickr
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

From the usual Volvo / Scania mix of buses in Melbourne, seeing a MAN + Volgren Optimus combo is another nice change.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”