X TP1101 CNG engine conversion to Diesel .

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
High Floor Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Olden Holdens
Location: Sitting behind a wheel thingy where all the lights & switches are.

X TP1101 CNG engine conversion to Diesel .

Post by High Floor Bus »

Back in 2016 when the last of the Perth O405 cng high floors were withdrawn, x TP1101 was secured along with 1103 and 1096 for spare parts for my other diesel O405s allready preserved. 1096 has allready has been scrapped by me and many of her parts live on in my O405s and few others not mine .

Having said that 1101 was destined to be next , but as luck would have it , a doner o405 diesel engine became available for purchase. That was because the owners bad luck of x UQB680 motorhome catching fire and destroyed 75% of the bus . The 25% untouched by fire was the engine and transmission.

So the decision not to scrap 1101 had been made back in 2018 when the engine was secured . But it wasn't till march 2020 in the middle of the first covid 19 lockdowns and Perths light restrictions then that the first steps of removing the CNG engine was done.

It was only a couple of months to remove the cng engine and take its Alison B400R off and mate it to 680s diesel engine ,refitting to 1101 ,along with installing a Mercedes diesel fuel tank and brackets and to get her running.

A couple of setbacks put the project on hold , one being the bus trying to take chunks out of me and nearly won .The second thing was the Alison was connected to the gas computer , and with that no longer in use ,the gearbox had no throttle input for shifting gears . It took awhile but , it was soon realised that only two out of the batch with Alison gearbox conversions done had Alison throttle position sensors fitted . That being 1103/4 ,and apparently we're the first done . The rest like 1101 used the gearbox computer data output for the gearbox.

By march 2021 1101 was finally completely mobile as a diesel bus and was taken home for final finishing touches to put her over the pits for licensing. Going over the pits went well , she passed but wasn't given the paperwork because she needed an engineer approval to comply with the Australian standards VSB6.
With that organised and done with the engineer to comply with the VSB6 modifications standards, the paperwork was completed and a trip to the DOT licensing centre was done .

And now in preservation being 100% compliant to current regulations she now wears custom plates number plates as close as we can get in design and digits.
The original plates were TP1101 but we have 1101 TP in green over white background .
In hindsight the project looks easy now that it's been done , trust me it didn't always feel that way.
But only when you break it up into smaller tasks and complete each task one at a time that it becomes achievable. Much as anything in life hey .
Attachments
First major run and fuel up
First major run and fuel up
The whole World is going to "HELL" And I'm driving the Bus!
Go ESSENDON for 2022
Proud owner of Preserved Merc Benz O405 679,688,689,691 &1101& Renaults 602 626 647 & 1119
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: X TP1101 CNG engine conversion to Diesel .

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Fantastic work High Floor Bus, lovely to see many of these fine beasts in preservation. So I take it, now that all the high-floors are gone, PTA allowed use of the green-on-white livery?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
High Floor Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Olden Holdens
Location: Sitting behind a wheel thingy where all the lights & switches are.

Post by High Floor Bus »

Bus suggestions all the high floor rigid were all gone in 2016 , the reno artics lasted a little longer untill B8 replacements came.
As for the livery , diesel buses going to auction were repainted white and de branded, cng's most just got de branded, some not and we're sold minus gas tanks but still in livery colours. Hence why 1101 is still in her last service livery but minus the branding .
As far as you're question about the PTA , we'll that precident has allready been set there with them donating buses in livery to the BPSWA. Just for us private preservation movement, debranding is a no brainer .
The whole World is going to "HELL" And I'm driving the Bus!
Go ESSENDON for 2022
Proud owner of Preserved Merc Benz O405 679,688,689,691 &1101& Renaults 602 626 647 & 1119
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Rear shot of 1101 at Mounts Bay Road nr Elizabeth Quay Bus Station with High Floor Bus at the helm.

2/1/2022
Attachments
P1030577 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”