ZF Transmission

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Rover 52

ZF Transmission

Post by Rover 52 »

Not sure which forum to put this question under so please direct me to a better forum if need be!

I have just purchased an old Merc 0405 with a ZF 5 HP-500 transmission in it.

I periodically have issues where I will push the button for drive or reverse (after neutral) and the transmission won’t engage. the engine revs and nothing.

I could change it to Neutral then 1st and it will drive and I change it back to D and no issues. It is just an odd issue where sometimes it just won’t go into the selected gear. Apart from that engine and transmission has been great.

Wondering if this is a common issue and could it just be the push button switch box not working properly?

Thanks everyone!
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Re: ZF Transmission

Post by Bus-1809 »

You're probably aware of this, but just incase, normally ZF Gearboxes require you to hold the brake pedal down, while selecting gears.

Where you say you can select button 1 and then go into D, that could be an electrical issue. Perhaps it doesn't always respond to the Drive button?
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
norrisclem

Re: ZF Transmission

Post by norrisclem »

Bus-1809 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:33 pm You're probably aware of this, but just incase, normally ZF Gearboxes require you to hold the brake pedal down, while selecting gears.

Where you say you can select button 1 and then go into D, that could be an electrical issue. Perhaps it doesn't always respond to the Drive button?
Thank you so so much. This answer was very very useful to me.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”