The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by TT »

All hybrid cars (I own one) must now have triangular blue EV tags on front and back number plates (for info of emergency services, just like CNG and LPG vehicles are tagged with red discs). EV stands for electric vehicle. Have a look next time you see 5701 or 5702 as they should be tagged as EV.
So yes I’m sure they’re being included in the tally of electric vehicles.
TT

Post by TT »

5701 definitely has EV tags on both number plates and therefore classified as an Electric vehicle for rego purposes.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Is it just me or are the Custom CB80s a taller bus compared to the Bustech VSTs? The VSTs seem to have a lower ceiling which makes them feel more claustrophobic.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

BusFan23 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:47 am Is it just me or are the Custom CB80s a taller bus compared to the Bustech VSTs? The VSTs seem to have a lower ceiling which makes them feel more claustrophobic.
I don't think they're taller. My issue with the new VSTs is the choice of colouring and seat moquette creates an illusion of a smaller space. The Custom interiors seem more airy because they picked the right fittings.
aussiewirraway

Post by aussiewirraway »

BusFan23 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:47 am Is it just me or are the Custom CB80s a taller bus compared to the Bustech VSTs? The VSTs seem to have a lower ceiling which makes them feel more claustrophobic.
In the rear of the VST you sit higher up overall compared to the CB80, you can tell the difference from the height of the wheel well in the back of both the buses, I believe they're almost identical height, but yes you have less room above you in a VST, and that's also why it has the head cutout that the CB80 doesn't.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

As a tall person (192cm), I feel like there is less leg room between seats on the Bustechs. It's impossible for me to sit straight with my legs straight in front of me. I basically need to sit in the centre of a double seat, and have one knee going each way. While the other features of these buses such as USB chargers and next stop displays are nice, I really dislike the lack of comfort in these buses.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Eagle Eye wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 am As a tall person (192cm), I feel like there is less leg room between seats on the Bustechs. It's impossible for me to sit straight with my legs straight in front of me. I basically need to sit in the centre of a double seat, and have one knee going each way. While the other features of these buses such as USB chargers and next stop displays are nice, I really dislike the lack of comfort in these buses.
I agree with legroom on the Bustechs, although my poor posture means I also struggle for comfortable legroom on CB80s.

The bumpy seat backs also aren’t good for resting one’s knees on
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:15 am The bumpy seat backs also aren’t good for resting one’s knees on
I agree with this too. If I'm wearing jeans or something it's not as bad but if I'm wearing shorts I end up with the pattern imprinted onto my knees. It's just not comfortable, and with every bump and shake on the road, the 'bumps' in the pattern press into your knee more and more. I wonder if the design was to deter graffiti or some other reason, but flat seat backs are a must for taller people.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

That’s right. The reason for the seat backs being like that is to stop graffiti and scratches.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

BusFan23 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:59 pm That’s right. The reason for the seat backs being like that is to stop graffiti and scratches.
I question whether thats a worthwhile trade off really...
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Are those stainless steel backed seats?
Have found those are more resistant to the daily torture some passengers inflict than the plain "plastic back" style, which, among many things can also have graffiti burned onto them...

Could the seating issue also be an "Adelaide problem," I seem to recall Adelaide specifies buses with higher density seating than other cities.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Does anyone know if Adelaide has any Scania New Bus Generation (NBG) vehicles? Volgren have been delivering some to Dysons in Victoria. Chassis model numbers/names seem to be different - K320CB instead of the previous K320UB
Lt. Commander Data

BusFan23 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:28 am Does anyone know if Adelaide has any Scania New Bus Generation (NBG) vehicles? Volgren have been delivering some to Dysons in Victoria. Chassis model numbers/names seem to be different - K320CB instead of the previous K320UB
I am led to believe Torrens have one, fleet #5006. Not in service yet though as far as I know. Strange numbering for it considering other deliveries are up to 5023, yet they’re still the previous generation.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

I've noticed that some Port Adelaide buses have had new driver security shields/screens installed that extend to the front. Additionally, it looks like the cash dispensers have been removed. I know 1935 has had this modification. Does any know if this is a trial or a full rollout?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

If they're fully perspex, they won't last long!
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Merc1107 wrote:If they're fully perspex, they won't last long!
Yes, fully perspex. I have seen another Port ADL bus with grey coloured bars up front.
Lt. Commander Data

BusFan23 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:20 pm I've noticed that some Port Adelaide buses have had new driver security shields/screens installed that extend to the front. Additionally, it looks like the cash dispensers have been removed. I know 1935 has had this modification. Does any know if this is a trial or a full rollout?
Trial. I think there’s a few at most depots, I’ve also seen 3224, 3225, and 3370 with similar. I’m sure there are plenty more examples. Some complaints from drivers include pillars blocking the near side mirror, and more reflections from the Perspex.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:26 pm Some complaints from drivers include pillars blocking the near side mirror, and more reflections from the Perspex.
Perth tried numerous iterations of the perspex security screen and none have stood the test of time (there was the half-screen with pneumatically-extendable screen to make a full cab used by "Metrobus" in its latter days but even that didn't catch on). A trial of a small spit-barrier some years ago lasted all of a couple of weeks as even that caused significant problems with reflections, I understand. The wire cages presently in use are, of course, helpful, but they do obstruct vision of the mirrors and have a surprisingly 'dulling' effect on interaction with nicer passengers.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Buses in some other cities around the world have full perspex shielding for the driver. Has plus and minus points.
TT

Post by TT »

Once the coin dispensers are removed a great open gap is left between the current security screens and the windscreen, creating a place of vulnerability for the driver, and making the existing screens close to useless. So there are several types on trial on different buses at all depots, all with the coin dispensers removed.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 pm
BusFan23 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:28 am Does anyone know if Adelaide has any Scania New Bus Generation (NBG) vehicles? Volgren have been delivering some to Dysons in Victoria. Chassis model numbers/names seem to be different - K320CB instead of the previous K320UB
I am led to believe Torrens have one, fleet #5006. Not in service yet though as far as I know. Strange numbering for it considering other deliveries are up to 5023, yet they’re still the previous generation.
5006 is now in service
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

TT wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:45 pm Once the coin dispensers are removed a great open gap is left between the current security screens and the windscreen, creating a place of vulnerability for the driver, and making the existing screens close to useless. So there are several types on trial on different buses at all depots, all with the coin dispensers removed.
If Adelaide use the same "half-cab" screen common elsewhere, it is largely only to stop someone coming at you from behind.

My belief is that, if the situation is bad enough to put drivers behind a protective barrier, there is not enough of a security or Police presence to keep people safe. And as a publicised incident in Darwin last year shows, perpetrators can actually defeat the latches on full cages and open them anyway, with enough brute force.
Skexis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:21 pm Buses in some other cities around the world have full perspex shielding for the driver. Has plus and minus points.
What isn't clear is if concerns about reflections were adequately addressed, or if those voices of dissent were conveniently silenced...

Even the windscreen in buses is a source of reflection yet many buses lack a proper night time mode for interior lighting!
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

Do drivers here also carry spit kits? TfL bus drivers need to considering how often it is used as an assault method. I also imagine there's an SoS button on the radios.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

In WA and the NT it is the norm to have DNA kits.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:06 amEven the windscreen in buses is a source of reflection...
True but these reflect images from inside the bus and are not generally an issue because after a while you don't notice them as they're commonplace whereas the protective screens can reflect images from outside the front of a bus at odd angles and that can be quite off putting. Driving after dark is when it becomes most noticeable.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”