PTA / Transperth Service Changes - 2021

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: PTA / Transperth Service Changes - 2021

Post by Merc1107 »

While it is just speculation, the idea isn't necessarily bogus given Purple CAT will pass the fringe of the park, and Blue CAT will enter it; perhaps a second high frequency bus into the park just isn't warranted?

Has anyone paid a visit recently to see if the present 935 terminus has been altered? Typically several CATs are often waiting at EQ, so unless the existing stop at KP was lengthened (or a new one added across the road), it's hard to see how they'd accommodate that and the 935.

The other issue is EQ; even with less terminating CATs there it's hard to think of where there's room for something as frequent as the 935 at present.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

935 is still shown as extending to Kings Park on the proposed Airport Line network map FWIW:
935Airport.JPG
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:25 am The other issue is EQ; even with less terminating CATs there it's hard to think of where there's room for something as frequent as the 935 at present.
Maybe that might change a bit when FAL is running as several bus routes originating from EQ (29* series) are getting rationalised.
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

It would be nice if there was an additional Blue Cat stop on Esplanade. There's a big gap between EQBS, Barrack St Jetty and Town Hall.

Also what happened to the purple cat plan?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

From memory it kicks in February next year, no doubt to coincide with the commencement of school, or perhaps Uni depending on whether other routes are being amended then too.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Transperth wrote: Routes 19, 20, 41, 42, 48, 55, 360, 361, 362, 406 and 960 Service Changes
Sun 19 Dec
From Sunday 19 December, the following services will undergo changes:

Route 19
  • Will undergo time changes and operate with fewer services due to poor patronage.
Routes 20, 41, 42, 55, 360, 361, 362, 406 and 960
  • Will undergo time changes to reflect changed traffic conditions and more accurately reflect the running times.
Route 48
  • Trips that operate between Bayswater Station and Morley Bus Station will undergo minor time changes to better connect with trains at Bayswater Station
  • Will run an additional trip on weekdays departing Elizabeth Quay Bus Station at 7.20am and terminating on Coode St near Bayswater Station at 7.48am
  • This will mean that Route 48 will operate every 20 minutes on weekdays between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and Coode St near Bayswater Station from 7.20am to 8.40am.
  • Additionally, it will mean that a Guildford Rd service (routes 41, 42, 48 and 55) will operate every 10 minutes on weekdays between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and Guildford Rd near Maylands from 7.10am and 8.40am.
With the 19 at the receiving end of cuts with almost every timetable change now (not hard to see why given its proximity to the Alexander Dr and Flinders St services), it can't be too long now until this meets its demise.

Nice to see some modest improvement to Guildford Rd, too. Although I can't help but feel this corridor (particularly the Maylands Peninsula, i.e. the 42) is missing out on services given how close it is to the City and how built up the area seems to be.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Ever heard of the phrase "Death by 1000 cuts"?

Much of Guildford Road is within the catchment of the Midland and Airport lines anyway.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Updated CAT timetable has been uploaded to the website. Major changes to style, which, in my opinion, are a drastic step back (understatement, feel free to add some more adjectives). Sure, it's nice that there's finally a places of interest index and a grid to find places within the city for map usability. However, actual passenger usability (in terms of taking the services) seems to have taken a hit. Gone are the CAT route-by-route stop lists. Instead, have this list of 105 locations you could visit using a CAT service. Which route? Well, take a guess, since there's no more colours to visualise Red CAT stops vs Blue/Yellow/Green CAT stops in the legend.
105 locations.png
105 locations.png (98.09 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
One simple question: why fix something that ain't broken?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

New system is confusing. I dread the day when Purple Cat starts running and PCH and UWA, among others, get added to the list.

Pretty sure 2778 and 2780 are awaiting deployment on Purple Cat as I have yet to spot them.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:New system is confusing. I dread the day when Purple Cat starts running and PCH and UWA, among others, get added to the list.

Pretty sure 2778 and 2780 are awaiting deployment on Purple Cat as I have yet to spot them.
Purple CAT doesn’t start running till Feb however the 2700s have been deployed on the existing system sighted 2780 on a red CAT today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Yeah the new timetables are a hard pass. It would be very confusing for tourists to find out how to get from say Perth station to Elizabeth Quay

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:06 pm One simple question: why fix something that ain't broken?
Countless times I have heard passengers making this exact comment; usually something along the lines of "Government Bureaucrats trying to justify their jobs." Particularly in the context of route renumbering, new timetables because one trip needed the time tweaked by a minute or two and so on - if the rationale for these alterations are not properly communicated (if at all), the change may not be welcomed even if it is actually an improvement. This isn't to say Transperth's PR completely fails to communicate the benefits of change (like we saw with the "New Network" proposal in Adelaide last year), but there's room to do better, and keep the passengers on-side!

Looking at the new timetable, it looks as though an effort has been made to number stops sequentially on each route, but I can see the issue with stops for each route not being as clearly delineated as they were previously.

As services that are meant to complement the train and bus network, information on where passengers can transfer between CATs could be useful, as, unlike the old timetable with colour-coded stop labels, it isn't as clear where buses share a stop, or where you could transfer to minimise walking distance or street crossings.

Other than those things, which even I'll admit are nitpicky, this round of changes seems fairly positive. Nice to see stops back on Barrack St (3 & 85).
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

i just thinking will SP/MC run a supplement Purple cat service or just claisbrook depot?
komen_413
Favourite Vehicle: B8s with VOITH Gearboxes!

Post by komen_413 »

pasha241 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 pm i just thinking will SP/MC run a supplement Purple cat service or just claisbrook depot?
Most likely just Claisebrook, but I wouldn't be surprised if Palmyra gets a few during peak, if it's just (2777-82) going to Claisebrook. (just a guess)
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm
Transperth wrote: Routes 19, 20, 41, 42, 48, 55, 360, 361, 362, 406 and 960 Service Changes
Sun 19 Dec
From Sunday 19 December, the following services will undergo changes:

Route 19
  • Will undergo time changes and operate with fewer services due to poor patronage.
Routes 20, 41, 42, 55, 360, 361, 362, 406 and 960
  • Will undergo time changes to reflect changed traffic conditions and more accurately reflect the running times.
Route 48
  • Trips that operate between Bayswater Station and Morley Bus Station will undergo minor time changes to better connect with trains at Bayswater Station
  • Will run an additional trip on weekdays departing Elizabeth Quay Bus Station at 7.20am and terminating on Coode St near Bayswater Station at 7.48am
  • This will mean that Route 48 will operate every 20 minutes on weekdays between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and Coode St near Bayswater Station from 7.20am to 8.40am.
  • Additionally, it will mean that a Guildford Rd service (routes 41, 42, 48 and 55) will operate every 10 minutes on weekdays between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and Guildford Rd near Maylands from 7.10am and 8.40am.
With the 19 at the receiving end of cuts with almost every timetable change now (not hard to see why given its proximity to the Alexander Dr and Flinders St services), it can't be too long now until this meets its demise.

Nice to see some modest improvement to Guildford Rd, too. Although I can't help but feel this corridor (particularly the Maylands Peninsula, i.e. the 42) is missing out on services given how close it is to the City and how built up the area seems to be.
Timetables for these changes are now available: 71 76 103 210

Departure stands on these are now shown next to the stop number at the top of each column instead of a table on the back page, though this means that stands at untimed stops (William Street) aren't shown at all now.

The main change to route 19 this time is that the off peak frequency will be cut to hourly. I don't expect it to be cancelled outright given it still serves a local access role from the retirement villages to Perth and Dog Swamp and some parts of the route are outside the 500m distance to other routes (especially on weekends when the 406 doesn't run) but there's probably scope for reform in conjunction with other routes in the area. Presumably the higher frequencies it used to run at were justified by it being the only significant all-stops route along Fitzgerald Street, which is now served by the 960 as well.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

bullswool wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:21 pm It would be nice if there was an additional Blue Cat stop on Esplanade. There's a big gap between EQBS, Barrack St Jetty and Town Hall.

Also what happened to the purple cat plan?
Purple Cat is planned for 27 February 2022 coinciding with the start of uni semester
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Traklink wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:04 am
Merc1107 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Timetables for these changes are now available: 71 76 103 210

Departure stands on these are now shown next to the stop number at the top of each column instead of a table on the back page, though this means that stands at untimed stops (William Street) aren't shown at all now.

The main change to route 19 this time is that the off peak frequency will be cut to hourly. I don't expect it to be cancelled outright given it still serves a local access role from the retirement villages to Perth and Dog Swamp and some parts of the route are outside the 500m distance to other routes (especially on weekends when the 406 doesn't run) but there's probably scope for reform in conjunction with other routes in the area. Presumably the higher frequencies it used to run at were justified by it being the only significant all-stops route along Fitzgerald Street, which is now served by the 960 as well.
i think 19 is more useful if the route change. Rather than travelling from Perh. it will better convert to Cross suburban route and start from either East Perth station and maylands station also these area does not have good cross suburban route. Also if the route travel to city it duplicate a lot of route.

this is my suggestion of new 19 route

Proposed 1: Maylands Stn - Yokine

Proposed 2: East Perth Stn - Yokine
Last edited by pasha241 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

There was a proposal a few years back to not only extend the 406 to Maylands, but also to reroute the 41 to service Maylands (in addition to short-trips every 30mins), see Transperth Service Changes - 2016.

Unfortunately, neither seem to have eventuated.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Merc1107 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:32 pm There was a proposal a few years back to not only extend the 406 to Maylands, but also to reroute the 41 to service Maylands (in addition to short-trips every 30mins), see Transperth Service Changes - 2016.

The process was to trial 41 deviations to Maylands, and if the 41 was successful, then extend 406 over to Maylands. Unfortunately, the 41 deviations to Maylands attracted little patronage and so was cut.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

It is my understanding there was a previous attempt (or attempts) to encourage interchange at Maylands even longer ago, which were very unpopular. The small number of 41s I've ever caught outside peak have always been very quiet, so in a way the result of that aspect of the trial was not surprising.

It would seem a more sensible idea to extend the 41 from Leake St over to Bayswater when there is the room available there to do so. It would save loosing the present, more-direct route, gives a connection towards Midland, Forrestfield and Ellenbrook via rail, in addition to one towards Morley via the frequent Circle Route. Not sure if interchanging at Bayswater would be time-competitive with a one-seat ride to Perth (it might be once there are trains every 4mins!), but it could be useful for people travelling further afield.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:48 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:32 pm There was a proposal a few years back to not only extend the 406 to Maylands, but also to reroute the 41 to service Maylands (in addition to short-trips every 30mins), see Transperth Service Changes - 2016.

The process was to trial 41 deviations to Maylands, and if the 41 was successful, then extend 406 over to Maylands. Unfortunately, the 41 deviations to Maylands attracted little patronage and so was cut.
I think there was a bit more to it than that from what I recall (although no doubt that stronger than expected patronage would have made the case easier). There was some community concern regarding route 41 using Eighth Ave (between Guildford Rd and the station) through the slow and highly pedestrianised coffee strip with suggestions to use Seventh Ave instead. Similarly with route 406, there was also community concern with buses using back streets to reach the Seventh Ave bridge in order to access the station.

Ultimately it did not receive the support it needed. I personally think also, the bus stop arrangement was not ideal, being a bit out of the way or certainly seeming to be obscured relative to the station entrance compared to other stations.

I note that as part of the Caledonian Ave level crossing removal, there are plans to upgrade the intersection and install traffic signals at Guildford Road and Seventh Avenue. That might present another opportunity to redirect route 41 to Maylands Station in the future.
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Received word today that some services ex Kelmscott will be resuming pre-level crossing removal routes tomorrow (23rd Dec). Some are still required to continue deviating until roadworks along Albany Hwy are complete. These are:

219 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
219 to Kelmscott will go via L Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
241 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
241 to Kelmscott will go via L Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
220 from Perth will continue via L Page/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
240 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis L Albany R Page L Gilwell
240 to Kelmscott will resume old route via Gilwell L Albany R Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
243 to/from Kelmscott Stn will resume old route Railway/Third Ave
244 to/from Kelmscott Stn will resume old route Railway/Third Ave
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

busdriver12 wrote:Received word today that some services ex Kelmscott will be resuming pre-level crossing removal routes tomorrow (23rd Dec). Some are still required to continue deviating until roadworks along Albany Hwy are complete. These are:

219 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
219 to Kelmscott will go via L Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
241 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
241 to Kelmscott will go via L Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
220 from Perth will continue via L Page/Fancote/River R Rundle L Albany
240 from Kelmscott will go via L Davis L Albany R Page L Gilwell
240 to Kelmscott will resume old route via Gilwell L Albany R Davis R Railway to Kelmscott Stn
243 to/from Kelmscott Stn will resume old route Railway/Third Ave
244 to/from Kelmscott Stn will resume old route Railway/Third Ave
Correct this was published in an email

busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

TP1462 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:09 am Correct this was published in an email
</pointless response>

Not everyone would have received that email hence my post
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
wachris

Post by wachris »

Is the 340/353 consolidation dead in the water? Or is it still planned?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”