Private Bus Observations 2021

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: Private Bus Observations 2021

Post by Linto63 »

Of the 10 or so region 6 buses I passed at stops this afternoon, only one appeared to have closed readers, so either drivers didn’t get the memo or chose to ignore. Or maybe the penny dropped that Transit Systems and not TfNSW are their employers.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

I caught several TSA R6 buses today. I'd estimate only about 20% of buses have readers turned off. You can see this in Anytrip - buses with Opal turned off are greyed out on the departure board and don't show their realtime location. I saw someone said on Facebook a memo was sent around warning of a ~30% pay cut if drivers didn't turn on Opal, so that might have scared some drivers.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's not STA anymore. That should give some incentive to let it go.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What does that mean?
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

In NSW, does the contractor get a small cut of the fares or is it all for TfNSW?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

All to TfNSW, although there may be incentives for increasing patronage.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:41 pm What does that mean?
The days of striking by refusing to collect fares as leverage are over. Getting your pay docked now where it didn't happen before, gives an incentive to reconsider that outdated tactic now that fares go through a different route and the employer are a private company.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

When the taxpayers foot the bill for the majority of the fare cost as they do, it seems hard to believe the tactic is even remotely efficacious. Although I have heard it hypothesisied that not collecting fares further entrenches issues with fare evasion (which those striking were the first to complain about, in my experience).
hito

Post by hito »

Saw the Custom Denning electric demonstrator (XQ15SQ, previously with Punchbowl Bus) with Transdev (Kingsgrove depot) doing a 452. Hopefully it means more are coming to the company.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways Notes

Mulgrave appear to have atleast a half day of Penrith locals from this week normally a bus does two+ circuits on the 793 and then a few trips on the 799 including the 17:54 799 today its 1175 and the last few days it's been 1193/1

442 is now at Penrith as a Driver trainer innitially but still on its 6435 mo plate ex Wyong Depot

1039 route learning the 775/6 on Friday Afternoon
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

775/776 and 835 diverting via 770 route in Kingswood outside the tafe due to a severe head on collision
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Saw a white Mercedes-Sprinter with a Proudly operated by Keolis Downer decal above the drivers door going past Civic around 2PM this afternoon, fleet number was 84 or 87. First I've seen this, anyone know what it would be for? Definitely not on Demand.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:17 pm In NSW, does the contractor get a small cut of the fares or is it all for TfNSW?
A very small amount: SMBSC Schedule 3: Payment Schedule
4.6 Price Adjustment for Patronage Incentive Payment
(a) In addition to any other payments made by TfNSW to the
Operator under this Schedule, the Operator will also receive a
payment sum for each Fare paying passenger traveling on the
Contract Bus Services.
(b) The Patronage Incentive Payment will be at the rate of $0.05
(GST exclusive) per Fare paying passenger.
(c) The Operator must accurately record the total number of Fare
paying passengers traveling on the Contract Bus Services each
month and submit those total numbers to TfNSW in its monthly
Tax Invoice to TfNSW.
(d) The parties acknowledge the Patronage Incentive Payment will
not be adjusted for inflation.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:07 pm Mulgrave appear to have atleast a half day of Penrith locals from this week normally a bus does two+ circuits on the 793 and then a few trips on the 799 including the 17:54 799 today its 1175 and the last few days it's been 1193/1
Yes, it's a Mulgrave shift doing a school peak 673 down from Windsor, then the trips you have described.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Saw 2450 ST from Newcastle Transport going through Beresfield around 5:00 PM this afternoon on a NOT IN SERVICE run, no idea why it was this far out from Newcastle but it continued onto Weaklys drive possibly towards the M1
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Went to Cardiff to get a part for my 80s Ford Laser and came across some early B12BLEs in my travels, still in the V1 STA corporate scheme with the red stripe. Was striking for me. Newcastle got the first B12s in the days of STA.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

To me, personally I liked the STA B12BLE's when they had the darker blue colour, I only got to see those somewhat growing up and it would've been nice for a few odd-balls to remain in the dark blue colour.

You know what, speaking of, I'm surprised that unlike Transit Systems, there hasn't been a CB60 bus in the Newcastle fleet done up from STA Livery to TNSW Yet.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I miss seeing the 0305s and 0405s. I really reminded you of the link with Sydney's buses. The CB60Volvos have that effect despite the NT logos pasted on the front.
Saw my first Newcastle government bus in Swansea in 1986 -without knowing they had them. Quite amazed to see a UTA mark IV up that way beyond the central coast!!
Yet it made sense when I saw what a large built up area it was. Seeing all the mark II and III roundtops running around later on made you think you were in Sydney, yet the scenery was like another state. I loved it.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

See Deano photo on FlickR https://www.flickr.com/photos/93187349@N07/51708385855/

A Keolis Downer bus operating operating a route 1A to Olympic Park on 217 November - I did not know that Olympic Park routes were operating on that day.
And the bus has a special livery celebrating 50 years of female bus drivers in Sydney.

And I think the first time Keolis Downer have have been operating Olympic Park services.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Bus services in the Inner West and South West of Sydney impacted by industrial action

https://transportnsw.info/news/2021/bus ... ial-action
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

When Transit Systems took over the government depots in region six, Kingsgrove, Leichardt, Tempe and Burwood, there was an understanding that existing drivers would be under a separate and yes better award than any subsequent drivers who joined. Now they want what the existing drivers had before the private contractor took over. Sorry, that's just how the arrangement began and you can't expect a retrospective change of this arrangement that doesn't actively affect you.
Don't sit and eat lunch or speak with the RTBU drivers if that's how you feel, but this is unrealistic, especially with region 3 drivers apparently wanting parity too according to the Nine article I read, on account of Transit Systems running both.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

My understanding of the issue is that the Enterprise Bargain Agreement is up for renegotiation. Despite the fact that the arrangements in 2018 were that new hires were to be on lesser pay and conditions, that agreement has an expiration date and a new agreement now needs to be made. The unions and the drivers are well within their rights to try and fight for all workers to be covered by the same EBA, with conditions matching that of or better than the current EBA that ex-STA drivers are on and this seems like the logical time to do so.

Given this is one of the few reasons that you can still legally strike, it doesn't surprise me that the unions are proposing to strike on the matter.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I mean yeah, why should new drivers, doing the exact same job, same duties, same responsibilities and conditions, receive less pay, just for joining the profession at a later date while the others get higher pay? It’s not the first time I’ve heard this happen in an enterprise agreement and I think its actually a sneaky and very divisive thing to do. Same job, same pay.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's a form of seniority but one you can never attain down the track. It was obviously done to appease the RTBU.
So was strike action inevitable after the agreement was due to expire?? Inevitable inconvenience and disruption for the public?
Nat

Post by Nat »

Swift wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 am It's a form of seniority but one you can never attain down the track. It was obviously done to appease the RTBU.
So was strike action inevitable after the agreement was due to expire?? Inevitable inconvenience and disruption for the public?
What is wrong with wanting to be paid fairly and appropriately for work you perform?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”