O500LEs: Great or Rubbish

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
BusYoppo69

O500LEs: Great or Rubbish

Post by BusYoppo69 »

Hi All,

Mercedes Benz O500LEs and OC500LEs: some people love them others hate them. What do you think? :)

I have a reason for asking this question but would rather keep it confidential! :shock:
Tim Williams

Re: O500LEs: Great or Rubbish

Post by Tim Williams »

You can certainly have an opinion on these buses, either as a driver, enthusiast or simply casual observer, but I think the terms "great" or "rubbish" are not really applicable - may be that is why you are not getting any responses!.

Mercedes Benz and other large manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on research and development and more often that not produce good products - the market, in the end, will determine how well the product sells, based on, but not exclusively, price, suitability/specification, manufacturers back up (warranty, parts supply etc.) and there are obviously other factors as well.

But, just to ask enthusiasts and/or drivers to say whether this market leading product is "great" or "rubbish" is really quite pointless!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

From my experience, they are ok in the acceleration department, and not as unreliable as some other well known chassis types that operate in Adelaide.

In the sound department (matters to a small minority of enthusiasts), even the ones built from 2003 to 2004 are unusually quiet at any speed. But still less bland than a K320UB Scania, like almost anything, even if it's silent.
boeing
Favourite Vehicle: Airbus A380

Post by boeing »

All the bus types I've driven have their own pros and cons, but compared to Scania K280/320, and Volvo B12, I think the O500 is the most balanced all round. Smooth acceleration and braking, and suspension that copes nicely with anything I've driven it on in Sydney.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

The diesel ones (OM457 €5 engine) are decent. Very similar to Citaros.
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

Has anyone had any experience with some of the new euro 6 Busabout custom endeavour ones? Headed they are quite decent!
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Can't speak much for the diesel ones, last experience I recall on a diesel OC was nearly 10 years ago at this point before the diesels in Perth were transferred regional. From recordings I've heard on YouTube, they ran great, and old posts on the ATDB (IIRC) suggest they had great pull power up hills but lacked the flat ground performance of the gassies. On that note, the gassies are average on the sound department from the outside, but inside, they drop a fair amount on the sound scale. Not the most impressive sounding buses, but Perth ones make up somewhat in having awesome sounding ZF Ecomat 6HP502 gearboxes. Gassies are extremely sluggish up hills and I dread taking them on hilly routes, however as mentioned before, their flat ground performance is not the best, but still nice. They take some time to get up to speed but can comfortably hold 70 on most arterials in Perth.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am Gassies are extremely sluggish up hills and I dread taking them on hilly routes, however as mentioned before, their flat ground performance is not the best, but still nice. .
Depends on how well they're running really.

I think the OP has already left the board. It's interesting someone would drop a loaded question about a popular make of bus then run for the hills.
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

BusYoppo69 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm Hi All,

Mercedes Benz O500LEs and OC500LEs: some people love them others hate them. What do you think? :)

I have a reason for asking this question but would rather keep it confidential! :shock:
Merc1107 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:26 am I think the OP has already left the board. It's interesting someone would drop a loaded question about a popular make of bus then run for the hills.
Agreed Merc1107, quite interesting indeed!
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Personally, my last ride of a Transperth (not regional PTA) diesel OC was, well, unsatifactory. Outbound on a 296 to Kalamunda, climbing Gooseberry Hill Rd - went around a roundabout, and went "what are gears?" and would not go. Required a full shutdown and restart. But other than that, they were really good. Almost always reliable.

As for the CNG OC's at Transperth and State Transit - Perth has them tuned a hell of a lot better than STA. Mostly reliable, sounds are great, and are usually comfortable.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am Can't speak much for the diesel ones, last experience I recall on a diesel OC was nearly 10 years ago at this point before the diesels in Perth were transferred regional. From recordings I've heard on YouTube, they ran great, and old posts on the ATDB (IIRC) suggest they had great pull power up hills but lacked the flat ground performance of the gassies. On that note, the gassies are average on the sound department from the outside, but inside, they drop a fair amount on the sound scale. Not the most impressive sounding buses, but Perth ones make up somewhat in having awesome sounding ZF Ecomat 6HP502 gearboxes. Gassies are extremely sluggish up hills and I dread taking them on hilly routes, however as mentioned before, their flat ground performance is not the best, but still nice. They take some time to get up to speed but can comfortably hold 70 on most arterials in Perth.
There are about 130 or so diesel OCs in Singapore as we speak. The guys over there seem to have little problems with them.
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

I have driven the Euro 6 one with Bustech body. I am going to mention about the body, the chassis is just worse than Euro 5. Poor steering lock and heavier than the Euro 5. Transmission with factory standard settings is just hopeless
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

There was a Mercedes-Benz bus with Gemilang body spotted in Singapore with Transport for NSW livery. Any idea if it could be an OC500LE?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Personally I don't know but it could be a brand new bus that's on order for Transit Systems Sydney however Fleet-lists mention that are having O500LE's delivered, not OC500LE's. Given that it was also mentioned it's in TNSW Livery and I can't really think of any other major operators ordering low-entry Gemeling bodied buses I'd say this is who it is destined for.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

O500LE vs OC500LE:
https://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtop ... 00#p547611

Lets not go through that again
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

I drive OC500LE's at my local depot and personally are quite happy with them. Granted they are starting to get a little long in the tooth (the ones I drive are mostly built in 2006). There are a few design issues I'd like addressed, but generally happy with them have been driving them on a regular basis since ~2012. I like the way it handles i.e. how it behaves on the road. Whilst not full power steering like the O405NH or B7RLE, I find I get better feedback off the road which can sometimes be masked by full power steering.

Whilst I (mostly) drive gas powered buses, I am not overly worried about the (perceived) lack of power. Under most circumstances I can keep up with and flow safely with traffic. Of course they do struggle up some of hills (e.g. Roleystone and Jarrahdale) but that's how it is. I did drive a diesel OC500LE in late 2011 from Busselton to Bunbury and was quite happy with it's performance on the open road.

That's my take on the subject. YMMV ;)
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

385BUZ wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:37 pm Has anyone had any experience with some of the new euro 6 Busabout custom endeavour ones? Headed they are quite decent!
The Euro 6 one have poor steering lock and heavy steering than the Euro 5 one.
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!

Return to “General Transport Discussion”