Private Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Re: Private Observations 2019

Post by Transport Buff »

Stu wrote:Tranair Systems Region 6 will have a number of buses on temporary loan between depots due to delays with the arrival of new buses. 5 x B12 Volvo Volgren artics from T to L and 8 x Scania K280 rigids from T to K.
What new buses are being delivered? The only buses being delivered to Transit Systems, according to Bus Fleetlists, is 3 Bustech CDis to Hoxton Park.
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ Scania for Kingsgrove to replace the 10 x retired 14.5 units, Volvo for Tempe and Mercedes-Benz for Leichhardt.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

When they are sufficiently progressed in the building phase and where details are known, they will be added to the list.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Unknown Sydney bus involved in a crash on the Harbour bridge this morning, mysteriously only one news article I can find on this and it's paywalled. Article is from DailyTelegraph, title is "A bus and two cars have collided on the Sydney Harbour Bridge"

Anyone know more details or able to bypass the paywall and see what's inside the article?

I find it very sus too that it's only DT that have reported on this.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I see Tempe, Transit Systems is getting new B8RLE Volgren Optimus - are these by any chance carbon copies of the STA spec ones (ie seating layout, moquette etc)?
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

They’re not identical. Transit System’s ones have Thermoking, Hanovers, bonded windows etc but I can’t recall fabrics.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Exciting that we’re getting Euro 6 buses for real now (Transit Systems is getting more and more interesting for the hobbyist as time goes by), looking at the image outline in the article I thought it was a modern-day Mercedes Citaro like you see in Europe..

It looks like since the Gemilangs recent debut in Sydney with the B-line project, it’s quickly rising to become a popular bus body - if they keep looking at bodies from overseas, I hope they give the Solaris Urbino from Poland a try, that’s a real nice one too
Last edited by Jurassic_Joke on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:...looking at the image outline in the article I thought it was a modern-day Mercedes Citaro like you see in Europe..
Don't be surprised if the Gemilangs are delivered with Citaro fronts like the Adelaide demonstrator.
...if they keep looking at bodies from overseas, I hope they give the Polish Solaris Urbino a try, that’s a real nice one too
The Urbino is an integral product, not a body.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: I thought it was a modern-day Mercedes Citaro like you see in Europe..

I hope they give the Solaris Urbino from Poland a try, that’s a real nice one too
The chassis illustrated looks like a low-entry, not a modern Citaro low-floor. MB must still have the older designs in the catalogue for countries like Australia. TSA must be trying out different products because otherwise one would think it be better to standardise on one brand and the Swedes seem to have swept the decks in Australia.

Solaris is an integral low floor with the doors and mechanicals on the wrong sides, something to savour while in Europe and only dream about on the RHD market.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Still INSIST on low entry layout. Stupid backward thinking here. Australian buses suk.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:Still INSIST on low entry layout. Stupid backward thinking here. Australian buses suk.
It would be different if the top 4 preferred bus chassis manufactures by Australian Transport agencies and bus operators witch are ether German based manufactures such as Mercedes Benz and MAN or Swedish based manufactures such as Scania and Volvo have more options for full low floor right hand drive bus chassis for right hand drive markets like Australia then there would be more full low floor chassis options for Australia
Swift

Post by Swift »

Painia offered the N series with powerful transverse mounted five cylinder engine (more compact than a traditional inline six diesel).
Bustech already designed their own double decker chassis that they can capitalise on as a fully low floor single decker, but I get the distinct feeling the Australian bus industry doesn't want to set the precedent of operating a genuine low floor as they fear the mechanical complication of maintaining such a configuration en mass, so deliberately withhold it from this market.
Australia is rife with such subterfuge and multinational companies like Volvo Corporation know it.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

ABC news flash:
"BREAKING: Public transport operator Transit Systems has placed a purchase order in Australia for 44 Euro 6 city bus chassis – the biggest single order for Daimler Bus in Australia in more than a decade, it’s reported."

PS, not The ABC
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

was reported on here some where yesterday
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Swift wrote:Painia offered the N series with powerful transverse mounted five cylinder engine (more compact than a traditional inline six diesel).
Bustech already designed their own double decker chassis that they can capitalise on as a fully low floor single decker, but I get the distinct feeling the Australian bus industry doesn't want to set the precedent of operating a genuine low floor as they fear the mechanical complication of maintaining such a configuration en mass, so deliberately withhold it from this market.
Australia is rife with such subterfuge and multinational companies like Volvo Corporation know it.
You just assume you can go from a double deck integral to a single deck body with a flick of a pen? No you cannot. Unless a substantial order is placed I’m sure it’s not financially for Bustech to spend significant money engineering a body to suit. Besides, there is a Volgren full low floor N series body available. As for Volvo, they offer full floor floor products such as the B5LH and B8L.

As a suggestion, perhaps just let snap impulsive opportunities to comment go. Some of your comments are extreme and baseless - they’re borderline embarrassing to have on the forum considering it’s public reach.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Daniel wrote:As a suggestion, perhaps just let snap impulsive opportunities to comment go. Some of your comments are extreme and baseless - they’re borderline embarrassing to have on the forum considering it’s public reach.
Outrageous statements are made on this forum all the time, normal part of any internet forum. Surely everyone knows that. Maybe this forum has big public reach but screw the lurkers, why do we need to worry about them? As long as users don't mind it, forget the lurkers.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

rogf24 wrote:
Daniel wrote:As a suggestion, perhaps just let snap impulsive opportunities to comment go. Some of your comments are extreme and baseless - they’re borderline embarrassing to have on the forum considering it’s public reach.
Outrageous statements are made on this forum all the time, normal part of any internet forum. Surely everyone knows that. Maybe this forum has big public reach but screw the lurkers, why do we need to worry about them? As long as users don't mind it, forget the lurkers.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
In the past, companies and lawyers have come after Admins personally for allowing user’s comments on this forum. So perhaps take my comments as a warning and reminder.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I recently travelled in a 20+ year old Scania L113 after having not travelled in one for ages and it honestly felt just as modern, amenable and more inviting and clean looking inside than the much newer low entries I've become accustomed to. That is not an encouraging sign.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That just shows that you are getting old. The younger generation would not think so.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

My most fondly-remembered bus type is a 1950s REO, but I wouldn't for a moment commend them for today's commuters!
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:I recently travelled in a 20+ year old Scania L113 after having not travelled in one for ages and it honestly felt just as modern, amenable and more inviting and clean looking inside than the much newer low entries I've become accustomed to. That is not an encouraging sign.
At least TSA and STA are still frequently use their 20+ year old low entry buses on route services outside peak times but for how much longer as their 25 year age limit is coming up in the next 2 to 5 years
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:That just shows that you are getting old. The younger generation would not think so.
What's my ageing got to do with it? I was comparing buses I catch and that was my genuine impression. Sue me!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The older you get, the more you like things from the past - that is quite common.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”