Ex NZ Coachwork International Ranger Mk 2 in Tonga

New Zealand Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
ptlivestock

Ex NZ Coachwork International Ranger Mk 2 in Tonga

Post by ptlivestock »

I need some help in identifying what seems to be a CWI Ranger Mk 2 presumably ex NZ and now with Tonga rego PRB50. Its shown here on the right at the Vuna wharf in Nuku'alofa in September 2017. I note it has single gheadlights which may be a pointer. Photo from Jones Travel Facebook page

Regards
Peter

stadt80

Re: Ex NZ Coachwork International Ranger Mk 2 in Tonga

Post by stadt80 »

Looks like it could be one of the four ex Howick & Eastern Hino RR172's. They were all sold to Ritchies in 2005 /2006. One was recently on trademe for sale so assuming it could be that one judging by the paintwork.
ptlivestock

Post by ptlivestock »

Ive only seen a photo of Howick 3 and it is a suitable candidate except that there are no ventilation slits in the front panel. Are there any photos of the other three. How recently was the one on Trademe sold and do you have any idea which one it was. The photo was taken in mid September
Peter
stadt80

Post by stadt80 »

I think the one on Trademe was the last remaining one with Ritchies ( #401 ) which was ex H&E #3. This one therefore has to be either ex H&E #1,#2 or #5 as the H&E ones had the rubber moulding around the windows ( not bonded ) as I can tell by looking at the drivers window and first passenger window with hoppers. I would say that the ventilation slits must of been removed at a later stage.
ptlivestock

Post by ptlivestock »

The Ritchies list on here shows 327 and 401 on the active list and 456 as disposed... are those records up to date.

Its definitely not 401 for which there is a photo of on Flickr of on Ritchies livery and on Omnibus society page in Howick livery. A really big help would help would be would be photos of the other three and I wonder would anyone have taken any.. I the old days in Auckland it was a challenge to cop every bus of every fleet on film..... including Howick and old Eastern ;-)

This thing about rubber mounted windows could be a clue... were there many Hino RR172 Ranger Mk2 built?

Regards
Peter
ptlivestock

Post by ptlivestock »

In the last couple of weeks Ive located a photo of this bus not long after arrival in Tonga and still carrying NZ rego Plates, Photo attached from Manavaofa Manu.

It was NZ JJZ548(previously PJ1598 ) Ritchies 456 ex Howick 1, into service in Tonga by 7May2017

Also attached a photo of Howick 1 provided by Ivan Prince.

It is in regular service on School runs and has been doing cruise ship charters until Coranavirus ended cruise ship visits to Tonga in Feb2020

Regards Peter Trevor
Attachments
Tonga PRB50 ex NZ JJZ548 Hino RR172RR - ex Ritchies 456 Howick1 - May 7, 2017 .jpg
howick1.jpg
howick1.jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 21022 times

Return to “New Zealand Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.”