MyWay Questions

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

MyWay Questions

Post by boxythingy »

Sydneysider here, wondering if anyone is familiar with MyWay and/or Opal smartcards.
1. What does the "free 90 minute transfer" mean? Does this mean 1 free transfer for a single fare within that period, or unlimited transfers for a single fare within that period?

2. I note that there is a 40 trip cap per calendar month assuming you tag on and off correctly. Since fares are capped at $8.80 for the day (for a Standard, full fare card), assuming that "free 90 minute transfer" means 1 free transfer for a single fare within that period, does this mean I would have to catch 6 buses per day, across approx 7 weekdays (since $8.80/$2.91= 3 Paid Trips, 6 Actual Trips if you consider the transfer, and 6 buses*7 days= approx 42 trips) in order to trigger the subsequent free trips for the rest of the month? I am wondering if this is the equivalent of the Opal Weekly Travel Reward.

3. I am in a possession of a Health Care Card (HCC), does this mean I have to fill in this form* and submit it at an Access Canberra Shopfront or Agent each time before my current HCC expires, to ensure my Concession (Myway) card does not start charging me standard fares? Is there a way to update my concession details online, or can this only be done in person only?

http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/ ... d-v1.pdf[1]
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: MyWay Questions

Post by Fleet Lists »

There was also a question 4 which was deleted as it was not a constructive question.
2. I note that there is a 40 trip cap per calendar month assuming you tag on and off correctly. Since fares are capped at $8.80 for the day (for a Standard, full fare card), assuming that "free 90 minute transfer" means 1 free transfer for a single fare within that period, does this mean I would have to catch 6 buses per day, across approx 7 weekdays (since $8.80/$2.91= 3 Paid Trips, 6 Actual Trips if you consider the transfer, and 6 buses*7 days= approx 42 trips) in order to trigger the subsequent free trips for the rest of the month? I am wondering if this is the equivalent of the Opal Weekly Travel Reward.
I am not sure that this makes any sense either.
3. I am in a possession of a Health Care Card (HCC), does this mean I have to fill in this form* and submit it at an Access Canberra Shopfront or Agent each time before my current HCC expires, to ensure my Concession (Myway) card does not start charging me standard fares? Is there a way to update my concession details online, or can this only be done in person only?
Just read the answer to the last question in http://www.transport.act.gov.au/catch_a ... _questions
Living in the Shire.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

I read the FAQ, however it does not provide a clear answer on whether or not there is a grace period, or if one would have to fill in an application every time one wishes to extend the validity of a concession card.

[Concession card holders are required to complete a new MyWay card concession application when they purchase a new or replacement MyWay card. If a concession entitlement expires, customers are required to update their concession details on their MyWay card by attending a designated MyWay, Access Canberra shopfront and providing proof of entitlement. Failure to reapply will result in standard fares being charged for travel
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

Can't answer for Opal, but for MyWay:

1. Unlimited transfers within 90 minutes of first tag on.

2. The monthly trip cap is based on "paid trips" - those where a fare applies. (So free transfers and trips after the daily cap kicks in do not count.) So you'd be looking at at least 14 days before the monthly cap would apply. And yes, this is the equivalent of the weekly caps on Go and Opal Cards.

3. Yes. Expiry date of concession is set in card data and will revert to Standard (Adult) fare immediately upon expiration. You MUST renew your concession before it expires.

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”