Rail control centre

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Rail control centre

Post by TP1462 »

State's $25m transport hub approved

The state government’s new $25 million Transport Operations Centre has been given the green light this morning, a development expected to form the nerve centre of Perth’s rail system.

The state government’s new $25 million Transport Operations Centre proposed for East Perth has received planning approval this morning. Image: Woods Bagot

The state government’s new $25 million Transport Operations Centre has been given the green light this morning, a development expected to form the nerve centre of Perth’s rail system.

The Metro Inner-North Joint Development Assessment Panel has unanimously granted planning approval this morning for the state government to build a six-storey, 4,100 square metre office building on a 12-hectare site it owns in East Perth.

The new transport hub will feature an office space for the Public Transport Authority of WA’s staff and contractors, a purpose-built operations control centre for traffic management, service planning and incident response, and a centralised signalling equipment room.

Plans for the new operations centre were filed by planning consultancy Urbis on behalf of the state’s Public Transport Authority, with architecture firm Woods Bagot responsible for its design.

The operations centre, which will be built adjacent to the East Perth train station, will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week and bring the Public Transport Authority’s operations and staff under one roof.

The building will also contain critical operations infrastructure for the McGowan government’s METRONET High Capacity Signalling project, which has received more than $210 million in state and federal government funding.

The Western Australian Planning Commission had recommended planning approval be granted subject to a suite of conditions covering traffic, parking, landscaping, waste management, and a public art contribution.

But several objections were received from surrounding residents, who had raised concerns about the scale of the development in what is predominantly a residential area with single storey homes, the impact of increased traffic on the existing road network, the fact that it overlooks adjoining residential properties, and noise levels during construction.

While acknowledging the concerns of neighbouring residents, the panel’s deputy presiding member Lee O’Donohue said the land had been reserved for railway purposes for some time and that it was an important piece of state infrastructure.

According to the documentation filed in support of the application, the Public Transport Authority intends to have the development completed and commence operations from its new premises in 2023 - with the project already out to tender with a view to commencing construction soon.

https://www.businessnews.com.au/article ... b-approved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Rail control centre

Post by Merc1107 »

Was this meant to supplement or replace the existing East Perth building?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:Was this meant to supplement or replace the existing East Perth building?
Supplement the existing building is heritage listed can you believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Well I suppose we have to remember the era of oppressive-looking brick buildings 😂
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:Well I suppose we have to remember the era of oppressive-looking brick buildings Image
It’s a product of its era, not a huge fan of 70s Brutalism myself to be honest

https://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/201 ... 882016.htm

Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Obviously this will see Metro Train Control and P.I.M.S and I assume the CMR under one roof, but I wonder if this will also see PATH Transit's C.C.R and maybe a new Transdev O.C.C set up there as well. It does mention PTA and it's contractors, hence the question
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

What about Swan Transit? Do they have a command post in the city?
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 pm What about Swan Transit? Do they have a command post in the city?
No company does. I was just asking the question as to whether they may set up at the PTA Centre, or if they will stay with their current set up.

Swan Transit doesn't have a "Command Post" as you put it. Each depot has their own supervisors who control their own (and that depots satellite depots) buses and deal with Radio Communications. After Hours, they have a control room at one of their depots that looks after all of their operations, during that period.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Bus-1809 wrote:
Enviro 500 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 pm What about Swan Transit? Do they have a command post in the city?
No company does. I was just asking the question as to whether they may set up at the PTA Centre, or if they will stay with their current set up.

Swan Transit doesn't have a "Command Post" as you put it. Each depot has their own supervisors who control their own (and that depots satellite depots) buses and deal with Radio Communications. After Hours, they have a control room at one of their depots that looks after all of their operations, during that period.
The new PTA control centre is progressing quite well it’s nearly structurally complete shouldn’t be too much longer until they start the fit out process

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Good luck with that.

Sydney has a "bells and whistles" central Rail Operations Centre. Last week a router in the digital radio control system fell over and bought the entire network to a halt for a couple of hours in mid afternoon and it was still recovering the next day.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”