Interesting/Odd Buses

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Interesting/Odd Buses

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I thought this might warrant its own thread, as this topic could lead into quite some discussion.

I would like to know about MTT/Transperth buses that were delivered or had been modified with a fitout that differentiated them from the 'norm.' I was thinking about perspex security screens on TP buses, and realised no easily-accessible 'list' had really been compiled of them. So this thread would be about Perth buses that had something to differentiate them from the rest of the batch, as well as applicable dates (e.g. xx.xx.1999 Perspex screen fitted, xx.xx.20xx removed due to glare).

Other than perspex screens, I think it would be interesting to know about oddballs of the past. Just like we currently have 3000-02 running around, I know that the original 007, 395/008 and 543/009 were oddballs. They were, I believe, the first Merc gassies (by strict literal definition) and buses I never got to experience (and I assume others may not have either), so I think it would be nice to share some knowledge on here.

And on that topic, 008 and 009 carried experimental liveries. I've seen a photo of 008 carrying the inverted arrowhead, but I have no idea what 009's livery was - the only thing I could find of that was it sitting in Kewdale wearing an awful coat of turqoise. Did any other buses carry different experimental liveries, such as prototypes of the 2010 TP livery?

There are of course other examples of oddballs, such as which buses were early converted to CNG, or which Renaults carry small fuel tanks. These are all welcome to be shared here if anyone wants to share what they have, and pictures would be welcome to (especially when it comes to experimental liveries). Lastly, I would also like to ask for context behind whatever is shared (e.g. an answer to 'why did x?').

So, is anyone willing to share?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
esperanceguy47

Re: Interesting/Odd Buses

Post by esperanceguy47 »

Nothing to do with liveries, but 517 was the odd one out of that bunch of buses which began from 49x-541, in that the seats weren't the same as those other buses...
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

I feel like half the buses currently in the TransBusselton fleet would belong on this list lol
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

I can happily share some bits and pieces once I am home, later on.

Squiddy, I wouldn't count the ex BCT stuff as they are pretty standard Private Operator Spec buses of that era and weren't new to the PTA/DOT etc.., but can share if you wish?
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus-1809 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:44 pm I can happily share some bits and pieces once I am home, later on.

Squiddy, I wouldn't count the ex BCT stuff as they are pretty standard Private Operator Spec buses of that era and weren't new to the PTA/DOT etc.., but can share if you wish?
Each to their own. I am sure some of the things you'll share I wouldn't consider particularly interesting or odd, but that's the beauty of a public forum, we are all able to freely share our own opinions : D
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

For me the most interesting looking buses I drove was 444 (different body shape and fully enclosed cash tray door) at Karrinyup and 747 (with the at skin off livery) at Palmyra. Also at Palmyra was 54 which at the time was decked out with MetroBus livery (like my avatar).

Also worth a mention was the Scania DAB's when I was on the CATs.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

UQB697 for me is odd because if i not wrong this is the only PR180 that had ZF gearbox and also 1133 which is only 100.3 renault

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”