Tonkin GAP MORLEY ELLENBROOK LINE (MEL)

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

PaxInfo

Re: Tonkin GAP MORLEY ELLENBROOK LINE (MEL)

Post by PaxInfo »

Peak services at only 5 trains per hour. Will this mean that peak buses will be every 12 or 24 min to connect? (hard to remember)

And will this affect other lines? Eg will Midland keep its clockface 6 trains/hour in the peak or will it also drop back to 5?
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

5 tph is a train every 12 minutes (60/5 = 12). Admittedly, that is quite an awkward frequency, since service frequencies are almost always multiples of 5, except for 2-4 minute ultra-frequent services. It would also be hard to to schedule connecting buses, as that means connecting bus frequencies would also need to have odd frequencies of 12 or 24 to connect every service with a train, 6 to connect every 2nd bus to a train and 18 to connect each bus to every 3rd train.

However, apparently, this will only be the initial frequency. The PDP says that by 2031 (i.e. after the signalling systems are upgraded), the frequency between Bayswater and Daglish will be 18tph for a train every 1.5-2 mins (3 lines * 6tph, 5 minutes each/3 lines). According to the PDP and some Skyscraper City forum talk, Midland and Forrestfield Lines may also have a decrease to integrate with the new Ellenbrook Line.

Although the signalling upgrades will help to bring it back to a more standard frequency, the initial frequency decrease and associated odd timetabling IMO gives more of a reason to have built a Morley tunnel in the first place.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

It’s certainly odd agreed if this makes sense Fremantle/Midland & Forrestfield will have a slight reduction by 2 minutes so Ellenbrook trains can run into the city running trains empty to Daglish is wasteful and illogic

trains will run every 12 minutes during peak times between Claremont & Fremantle and between Ellenbrook, Forrestfield, Midland & Bayswater then every 3 minutes between Bayswater & Perth and potentially Daglish and then every 6 minutes to Claremont from Daglish/Perth this is only until the new signalling system is introduced and platforms are extended. The Midland football service from East Perth & the royal show express can easily be withdrawn to free up capacity on the Fremantle & Midland lines
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:17 pm It would also be hard to to schedule connecting buses, as that means connecting bus frequencies would also need to have odd frequencies of 12 or 24 to connect every service with a train, 6 to connect every 2nd bus to a train and 18 to connect each bus to every 3rd train.
I suspect they can get away with this at the Fremantle end, as the only services with anything resembling an official connection are the 548 and 549. Everything else connects to the Mandurah line. The Midland end will be interesting, to say the least.

That aside, what disaster this is going to be, Fremantle is the busiest (or one of the busiest) station outside of Perth on the Freo line. To downgrade the service in peak is shocking - commuters already lost their express trains, now the service level is downgraded, pending infrastructure upgrades that are still several years down the track... And what will the capacity of the line be with those upgrades, and how soon will it be reached? The more details we see of this project, the more I believe the MEL is a complete and utter political farce.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:35 pm
Bus Suggestions wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:17 pm It would also be hard to to schedule connecting buses, as that means connecting bus frequencies would also need to have odd frequencies of 12 or 24 to connect every service with a train, 6 to connect every 2nd bus to a train and 18 to connect each bus to every 3rd train.
I suspect they can get away with this at the Fremantle end, as the only services with anything resembling an official connection are the 548 and 549. Everything else connects to the Mandurah line. The Midland end will be interesting, to say the least.

That aside, what disaster this is going to be, Fremantle is the busiest (or one of the busiest) station outside of Perth on the Freo line. To downgrade the service in peak is shocking - commuters already lost their express trains, now the service level is downgraded, pending infrastructure upgrades that are still several years down the track... And what will the capacity of the line be with those upgrades, and how soon will it be reached? The more details we see of this project, the more I believe the MEL is a complete and utter political farce.
The whole railway will make for a very inconsistent passenger experience at least in the short term, the service planned for 2031 is 18TPH that’s every 5 minutes on all lines Armadale/Thornlie, Fremantle, Joondalup and outer Mandurah will be slightly higher during special events and football the theoretical max will be around 24TPH at least in the inner city anyway
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/WQAxzhBxHIM

“This train runs from Ellenbrook to Perth stopping at all stations”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I wonder if Volvo knows that they're being dumped for Citaros?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

tonyp wrote:I wonder if Volvo knows that they're being dumped for Citaros?
It’s an artists impression also the PTA has a 10-20 year long contract with Volvo

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

TP1462 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:44 am
tonyp wrote:I wonder if Volvo knows that they're being dumped for Citaros?
It’s an artists impression also the PTA has a 10-20 year long contract with Volvo

Yes I know. Just pointing out a lapse in detail!
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Ecobus #1 to #3 were Citaros, weren't they? It's not like WA never had this model before.

Still, give me a Scania any day. Doesn't matter if it's a N113CRB, L94UB or K270UB.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/dtdN0j2w7o8?feature=shared

Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Interesting that the above video suggests a direct connection from the Ellenbrook line to the Bayswater siding. I suspected that would be the case, thanks to the short eastern extension of the siding that currently goes nowhere, and it really does make sense IMO but I hadn't seen it shown anywhere before.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Concrete sleeper segments have been delivered to the southern section of the Ellenbrook line including for the tunnel portal noticed this when driving to work this morning

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Drumpellier drive will reopen tomorrow morning between Park street & the Promenade

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/media- ... s-20240221

Midland and Airport Line shutdown for essential rail alignment works

The Midland and Airport Line will be shut down for 10 days as part of essential rail alignment works for the new METRONET Bayswater Station and Morley-Ellenbrook Line projects.
10-day shutdown to relocate Midland Line to a new alignment at new Bayswater Station
Shutdown will take place from 28 March to 8 April 2024
Impacts to the Midland and Airport Line and some Transwa services
The Midland and Airport Line will be shut down for 10 days as part of essential rail alignment works for the new METRONET Bayswater Station and Morley-Ellenbrook Line projects.

During the shutdown, essential works will see the relocation of the Midland Line to a new alignment and platform at the Bayswater Station.

When train services resume, the trains travelling away from Perth CBD (Perth) on the Midland and Airport lines will be available from platform four on the newly completed northern side of Bayswater Station, while services to Perth will continue from platform one.

After the shutdown, platform two, which had been in use for trains travelling away from Perth on the Midland and Airport Lines will not be operational and will remain closed until the Morley-Ellenbrook Line opens.

It's the last time there will be an extended shut of the Midland and Airport Lines to facilitate essential works on the Bayswater Station and Morley-Ellenbrook Line projects.

The shutdown will impact the Prospector and MerredinLink train with services terminating at Midland Station. No replacement services will be operating between East Perth Terminal and Midland Station.

The Indian Pacific will terminate at Kewdale Freight Terminal with a coach service to East Perth operating for Indian Pacific passengers.

Train replacement bus services will be operating during the shutdown with Transperth providing information in coming weeks to inform passengers of alternative options available.

When the project is completed, the new Bayswater Station will be the connection point to the Midland, Airport and Morley-Ellenbrook lines, and provide more travel options to Perth Airport, the Swan Valley, Perth, and beyond.

Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"We acknowledge the shutdown will be inconvenient, but it is necessary to progress the final steps in connecting the new Bayswater Station to the Midland, Airport and Morley-Ellenbrook lines.

"This is the last time we will need to undertake an extended shut on the Midland and Airport Lines to facilitate essential works on the METRONET Bayswater Station and Morley-Ellenbrook Line.

"The completion of the rail realignment represents the final stage of construction on the new METRONET Bayswater Station - a project that has completely transformed the Bayswater town centre, and delivered the biggest train station outside of the CBD.

"We carefully considered the timing of this closure to ensure it had the least amount of impact possible, which is why we have targeted the Easter school holidays.

"When the project is completed, Bayswater Station will become a key public transport hub, giving passengers an easy way to access the Airport, Swan Valley, and the Perth CBD

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Replacement service details for the shutdown have since been made available on the Transperth website:
Transperth Website wrote: Midland and Airport Line Shutdown
As part of METRONET's Bayswater Station and Morley-Ellenbrook Line Projects, essential works on the Midland and Airport lines are required, resulting in a shutdown from 10.45pm on Thursday 28 March until last service on Sunday 7 April 2024.
During the shutdown, essential works will see the relocation of the Midland Line to a new alignment and platform at Bayswater Station. This will improve connectivity with the Midland Line, Airport Line and Morley-Ellenbrook Line, providing a new level of public transport service to Perth’s north-eastern suburbs.
[...]
Train Replacement buses
Midland Line - Route 900 – Express to Bassendean (peak only)
This route will run express from Claisebrook to Bassendean, then all stations to Midland Station, operating Monday to Friday during peak periods, from Tuesday 2 until Friday 5 April.

Midland Line - Route 901 - Stops all stations to Midland
Thursday 28 March to Monday 1 April, and from Saturday 6 to Sunday 7 April:
  • Operates from Perth Busport to Midland, stopping all stations.
Tuesday 2 to Friday 5 April:
  • Operates all stops between Claisebrook and Midland Stations from first service to 7pm.
  • Operates after 7pm from Perth Busport to Midland, stopping all stations
Airport Line - Route 902 - Stops all stations to High Wycombe
Thursday 28 March to Monday 1 April, and from Saturday 6 to Sunday 7 April:
  • Operates from Perth Busport to High Wycombe, stopping all stations.
Tuesday 2 to Friday 5 April
  • Operates all stops between Claisebrook and High Wycombe from first service to 7pm.
  • Operates after 7pm from Perth Busport to High Wycombe, stopping all stations.
In other (related) news, Ellenbrook station is now 100% complete, with a line opening target of later this year.
Media Statements WA wrote:Joint media statement - NEW TRAIN STATION FOR ELLENBROOK NOW COMPLETE
4 March 2024
The new METRONET Ellenbrook Station is now complete, marking the first station finished as part of the new Morley-Ellenbrook Line.

Comprised of more than 346 tonnes of steel and 1160 tonnes of concrete, this new station marks a major milestone in the Cook Labor Government's commitment to build a 21-kilometre rail-line to Ellenbrook.

The new station, one of five being delivered as part of the project, is located in the heart of Ellenbrook town centre, and will offer more transport options for the more than 46,000 residents living in the area.

Ellenbrook Station was the first Morley-Ellenbrook Line station to commence construction in 2022.
With convenient and modern facilities, the station includes a 12-stand bus interchange and 500 parking bays (including ACROD).

The station has achieved a five-star Green Star Design Review Rating, boasting 200 solar panels and 10 electric vehicle charging bays in the design.

Being the only at-grade station on the Morley-Ellenbrook line, Ellenbrook Station features a 150-metre-long sheltered island platform with seating and accessible passenger information and facilities.

Once operational, travel from the station to Perth will take approximately 30-minutes on a two-zone fare, shaving off half the time for residents currently using public transport and costing as little as $4.08.

Around 400 workers were employed on the Ellenbrook Station project, delivering a significant boost for local jobs.
Final landscaping and faregate installation will be completed soon, with the new station to be opened and operational later this year.

Works are also well under way on the remaining stations and the installation of overhead line equipment, ballast, rail and sleepers.
The recent completion of the Malaga sub-station will power the overhead lines system when passenger service begins.

Quotes attributable to Western Australian Premier Roger Cook:

"METRONET is reshaping our city and connecting tens of thousands of people in the suburbs to our world-class rail network.

"The METRONET Morley-Ellenbook Line is powering towards completion – and when it opens later this year it will slash travel times for people across our north-eastern suburbs.

"We're delivering on our election commitment and, through METRONET, we're doing what's right for WA."

Quotes attributable to Federal Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King:

"This is a fantastic example of a collective effort to achieve positive outcomes to better connect communities across Western Australia.

"This investment from the Australian Government, alongside the WA Government, will provide more transportation options as we continue to build the infrastructure that commuters in this fast-growing area need and deserve."

Quotes attributed to WA Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"When our Government makes commitments, we deliver on them – and today marks a major milestone in our commitment to deliver of a train line to Ellenbrook.

"Communities in our growing north-east corridor have been crying out for better public transport options, and I am proud that our Government is making that a reality.

Quotes attributable Federal Member for Hasluck Tania Lawrence:

"The Morley-Ellenbrook Line is no longer an idea or an ambition, it's real. The community can see it happening and the first trains are on track to be running later this year.

"This is a massive achievement for the teams involved in this project, and I congratulate them on their hard work to date."

Quotes attributable to State Member for Swan Hills Jess Shaw:

"This is a tremendous looking station based in the heart of the Ellenbrook community.

"The thousands of people living in Ellenbrook and The Vines have waited a long time for this train line, and to see this station completed is an incredibly exciting moment for the community."
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”