WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I recently hopped on TP0102 and noticed that there is a grey object there. I know it’s from an ex-CAT bus but what is this type of device?
Attachments
F2933C64-4B76-4B6E-8E09-C4DF8D71DE26.jpeg
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Quite sure those are door counters; all the ex. CATs have them.

A few Fremantle buses (3099 plus a few 29xx rigids) have counters fitted above the entries and exits; same as the ones seen on Darwin's route service vehicles.
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

With City of Vincent converting the final section of William St to two way in a few weeks, is it possible for route 60 to be directed away from Beaufort St to run direct down William St through Northbridge?
Bus Suggestions

bullswool wrote:With City of Vincent converting the final section of William St to two way in a few weeks, is it possible for route 60 to be directed away from Beaufort St to run direct down William St through Northbridge?
Judging by the time of year it is now, we might find out with next year's major service changes at the start of February.
Also, I was crawling through the Web Archives and I found these spec sheets for the fleet as of 2002 with everything from chassis, engine and body to brakes etc.
Renault PR180.2
Scania-DAB Midcity Series 2 (CAT)
Mercedes-Benz O405NH Diesel
Mercedes-Benz O405NH CNG
There is also another sheet for the A-Series EMU.
Bus Suggestions

Transperth are holding a competition to go on the maiden voyage of the new MV Tricia departing Elizabeth Quay at 8:30 AM on Friday, 20 December. The winning pool consists of 30 entrants receiving 2 tickets each.
Maiden Voyage Competition
esperanceguy47

Post by esperanceguy47 »

Because the TP website info for NYE *doesn't* include information on how frequent the trains are on all lines before & after midnight, and because Journey Planner found it too difficult to show me :roll: , and because I haven't seen that NYE train info for a couple or so years, I would like to ask:

What is the frequency of the trains after midnight from Perth: is it like every 15 mins on all lines until 3am & then hourly until 6am, or something else?
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

The Armadale Line (the only one I properly looked at) was every 15 until 1:32am or 2:02am (don't remember which one), then half hourly to 4:02am, then 5:02am, before the normal public holiday timetable kicked in at 6:30am.

I think the heritage lines were also half hourly (except Thornlie) from possibly 2am.

Cheers! :wink
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Bus Suggestions

Recently read on perthbus.info that 1440 was fitted with a perspex security cab. What ever became of it? Does it still have it or has it been taken out?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

There have been a few trials of perspex screens and cage devices over the years, although aside from the patented "Metrobus" pneumatic ones fitted to nightshift buses in the old high floor fleet, none seem to have hung around. It's likely reflections on the perspex screens have been a serious issue (particularly for night driving) and that is why they never caught on.

Someone that has visited Bunbury (or wherever this bus is now based) would be best-placed to answer your original query, but I doubt the trial screen would still be in place. I imagine any cages or screens were removed altogether when the bus was transferred to the regional fleet or the bus was returned to what I imagine was the original configuration. That "half-cage" must be a standard fitment on Volgren bodies as I've seen it on Buslink O500LEs in Darwin before they had full wire cages installed on their fleet.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Merc1107 wrote:There have been a few trials of perspex screens and cage devices over the years, although aside from the patented "Metrobus" pneumatic ones fitted to nightshift buses in the old high floor fleet, none seem to have hung around. It's likely reflections on the perspex screens have been a serious issue (particularly for night driving) and that is why they never caught on.

Someone that has visited Bunbury (or wherever this bus is now based) would be best-placed to answer your original query, but I doubt the trial screen would still be in place. I imagine any cages or screens were removed altogether when the bus was transferred to the regional fleet or the bus was returned to what I imagine was the original configuration. That "half-cage" must be a standard fitment on Volgren bodies as I've seen it on Buslink O500LEs in Darwin before they had full wire cages installed on their fleet.
Bingo. I admit I forgot to reply to this question, but just to wrap up here's a recent-ish (07/19) photo of mine in which you can clearly see a cage
Attachments
1440 2019.07.31 BlairSt.jpg
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Yes just to clarify with 1440, it was originally delivered with the half-Perspex screen (back when the cages were not quite mandatory on everything yet). It then trialled a full Perspex screen which I might have photos of... Following the trial it was removed and I can’t remember whether it ended up getting a cage fitted or if it just had no cage for a while. It was subsequently transferred to Bunbury. The cage it has now would’ve been fitted sometime after it arrived in Bunbury when they decided to fit cages to the Bunbury fleet (previously, none of their buses had cages). I’ll see if I can dig up various photos I have.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Apparently Rockingham, Canning and Gosnells bus packages were tendered out back in 4-10. Does that mean they will be up for renewal this year? Will anyone be putting a blanket bid for all three?
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:Apparently Rockingham, Canning and Gosnells bus packages were tendered out back in 4-10. Does that mean they will be up for renewal this year? Will anyone be putting a blanket bid for all three?
Southern River is its own separate thing unless that has recently changed Ministerial discretion can see operational requirements change to match the transport needs of the day Minister Saffioti’s requirements would be different to Minister Nalders or Minister Buswell or
Minister MacTiernan. As far as I’m aware all 3 were recently awarded another 10 years and their contract expiration dates aren’t the same so it wouldn’t be feasible to put in a blanket bid for all three. Swan picked up Joondalup and retained Karrinyup because of their ability to do global running not just with current services but with the future Morley Ellenbrook line and their ability to pay better staff wages at the lowest possible tender price by making other efficiencies within their budget the needs and requirements of future metronet operations will see significant operational changes same with the stadium, airport line and 900 series routes really it’s simply a matter of buses & railcars deployed where needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote:
Enviro 500 wrote:Apparently Rockingham, Canning and Gosnells bus packages were tendered out back in 4-10. Does that mean they will be up for renewal this year? Will anyone be putting a blanket bid for all three?
Southern River is its own separate thing unless that has recently changed Ministerial discretion can see operational requirements change to match the transport needs of the day Minister Saffioti’s requirements would be different to Minister Nalders or Minister Buswell or
Minister MacTiernan. As far as I’m aware all 3 were recently awarded another 10 years and their contract expiration dates aren’t the same so it wouldn’t be feasible to put in a blanket bid for all three. Swan picked up Joondalup and retained Karrinyup because of their ability to do global running not just with current services but with the future Morley Ellenbrook line and their ability to pay better staff wages at the lowest possible tender price by making other efficiencies within their budget the needs and requirements of future metronet operations will see significant operational changes same with the stadium, airport line and 900 series routes really it’s simply a matter of buses & railcars deployed where needed

So which packages are next to expire? I understand Fremantle and Kalamunda were tendered out in 2012, followed by Morley and Midland 2-3 years later.

It makes a lot of sense for Morley and Midland to be operated by the same company as Kalamunda, if Kalamunda stays with the incumbent.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

I honestly wouldn’t have a clue you’re asking the wrong person most people on this forum know as much you do. Google is your friend search and you’ll find

Woolies_truck
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313F

Post by Woolies_truck »

Rockingham and Canning/Southern River are to come up for tender in the first half of this year.
:D
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
TP1462 wrote: Southern River is its own separate thing unless that has recently changed Ministerial discretion can see operational requirements change to match the transport needs of the day Minister Saffioti’s requirements would be different to Minister Nalders or Minister Buswell or

So which packages are next to expire? I understand Fremantle and Kalamunda were tendered out in 2012, followed by Morley and Midland 2-3 years later.

It makes a lot of sense for Morley and Midland to be operated by the same company as Kalamunda, if Kalamunda stays with the incumbent.
Midland is connected to Ellenbrook which is connected to Joondalup I get the logic behind connecting those regions up but PTA prefer to have Midland connected to Ellenbrook for operational reasons obviously there will be operational changes to support the opening of the future MEL

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote:Midland is connected to Ellenbrook which is connected to Joondalup I get the logic behind connecting those regions up but PTA prefer to have Midland connected to Ellenbrook for operational reasons obviously there will be operational changes to support the opening of the future MEL

Wonder if there will be major changes to 955 when MEL is up and running. In fact, having Morley and Midland under one operator means 955 could be run in a similar fashion as 930.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote:I honestly wouldn’t have a clue you’re asking the wrong person most people on this forum know as much you do. Google is your friend search and you’ll find

Little has been said about those 3 packages I mentioned, as well as the Perth CAT one. I only started digging into these following the nasty Transdev strikes in 10-18. Back then, I used to live in Cockburn, which has been a Transdev stronghold since Day 0. Now living in the Canning/Gosnells contract area.
Bus Suggestions

Swan Transit was awarded Armadale South (now Southern River) and Canning as part of the second tender round in 1996/7 for 7 years with options for a futher 4-6 years. It appears since then it has been a Swan stronghold. Fremantle/Cockburn as well as CAT services were awarded to Transdev (then SCT) from MetroBus in 1998 and PATH took Morley at the same time.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
TP1462 wrote:Midland is connected to Ellenbrook which is connected to Joondalup I get the logic behind connecting those regions up but PTA prefer to have Midland connected to Ellenbrook for operational reasons obviously there will be operational changes to support the opening of the future MEL

Wonder if there will be major changes to 955 when MEL is up and running. In fact, having Morley and Midland under one operator means 955 could be run in a similar fashion as 930.
The 955 is a tricky one I think for the most part it’ll be truncated or replaced otherwise it’ll simply duplicate the future train service which will for the most part share the Drumpellier Drive corridor PTA has gone out to tender for construction to tie it in with the long overdue Tonkin Gap upgrade. Minister Saffioti will hand down the PDP for the MEL in the coming days if not weeks. The 955 should still run between Bassendean or maybe Whiteman Park and Morley along Collier Road but most likely renumbered to reflect the changes a new high frequency route will also run between the train station on Broun Ave and Morley bus station new feeder buses will connect the Joondalup line the Ellenbrook spur line and the Midland line a future service could run from the Morley station to Bassendean station along Walter road east

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

I think we could also see a new service that’ll meander it’s way through Brabham & Henley Brook as a feeder service between Ellenbrook to Whiteman Park however most people will choose to drive PATH will run most of the services if not all to Malaga station and some to Whiteman Park & Morley

Bus Suggestions

Anyone know the carriage arrangement of the new C-Series trains? I'd assume a DM-T-M-M-T-DM arrangement, but is there any confirmation?
DM-Driving Motor, T-Trailer, M-Motor
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Anyone know the carriage arrangement of the new C-Series trains? I'd assume a DM-T-M-M-T-DM arrangement, but is there any confirmation?
DM-Driving Motor, T-Trailer, M-Motor
Nothing has been officially announced regarding carriage configuration but it should be something like CEA7127- CED8127-CET9127-CEC1127-CEE1227 CEB6127

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”