Transperth service changes - Up to the end of 2015

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

900 series

Re: Transperth service changes

Post by 900 series »

Think you're comparing the wrong sides? 0007F is now 0008F, 2344 is the last T (currently 2342T)

IMO the 9X0 number makes perfect sense now

I must say there have been some good upgrades recently :) even with the supposed cuts to service kilometre growth
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

No, I'm not even talking about the 0007/0008 900.....
900 series

Post by 900 series »

^ Was actually responding to 102 at 1625's post before it was edited with:
102 at 1625 wrote:Edit: (Regarding below) Oops, another mistake, I'm not having a very good day today, am I?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

102 at 1625 wrote:...with major time changes and a year-round, 15 minute full-route Sunday service (a quadrupling of the current Perth-Glendalough frequency). Operating hours are unchanged (sorry Mr OC Benz).
Well... for the eastern portion between Glendalough and Perth there is, which is quite significant given the lack of public transport options there on a Sunday evening (nearest route which is quite far from Mt Hawthorn is the 386/389 running until 8:30pm). The timetable is at a point now which is quite satisfactory for a high frequency corridor. Really from here on, any further improvements I'd imagine would be demand driven such as earlier and later and more frequent services.

Later bus from Scarborough Beach on weekdays at 11:45pm. Buses departing Roe St on Sundays until 9:11pm (instead of 7:25pm!). So quite a significant improvement and probably what is best of all is that the timetable is more consistent with the operating hours and frequency. 4-6 min peak, 7-8 min off peak, 15 min full length day frequency and 30 min night frequency. Not bad for Perth's fourth busiest bus route!

PS. Still not a fan of the new maps. If they were digital and could be adjusted, understandable but otherwise it is incredibly confusing and goes against general map standards.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

The new maps are irritating to say the least. It's the worst aspect in this department IMO....constant "useless" and unwarranted tinkering.

Agreed with the above post, however later services on all 900 series services I believe is essential, as they are, for all practicalities on par with train services. 920, 940 have been running late on Sundays since inception some 15 years back.
actually

Post by actually »

Be nice to see TransitGraphics do our timetables/maps. I think they are A1 8)
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

VL6MT wrote:Agreed with the above post, however later services on all 900 series services I believe is essential, as they are, for all practicalities on par with train services. 920, 940 have been running late on Sundays since inception some 15 years back.
Absolutely I agree. Really the key routes should be running until midnight every night. But baby steps... Apparently most of the northern suburbs still don't deserve buses after 7pm on a Sunday.

Routes 72, 106, 205, 507, 881, 920, 940 and 950 are the only routes which run after 11pm on a Sunday. Compared with 75 routes on a Saturday!

To be honest there's nothing wrong with the current design of the timetables. They've been pretty spot on since the colour ones were introduced nearly a decade ago. But it was completely unnecessary, unconventional and unprofessional to tweak the maps the way they have this year. I don't know of very many map products on this planet where you look at the map and you're not looking north.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

yes I agree wholeheartedly here - it's purely about the orientation, NOT the presentation, which I feel is very professional.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

102 at 1625 wrote:From 27 September:
  • Route 990's TT renumbered from (Northern) 77 to (high-frequency) 206, with major time changes and a year-round, 15 minute full-route Sunday service (a quadrupling of the current Perth-Glendalough frequency). Operating hours are unchanged (sorry Mr OC Benz).
So is that have any clue of chances to relist the route 920 and 940 to a 200 series Bus Timetable as originally advertised as the High Frequency bus routes?
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

shinjiman wrote:So is that have any clue of chances to relist the route 920 and 940 to a 200 series Bus Timetable as originally advertised as the High Frequency bus routes?
Hmmm. When the 950 was given blue-green timetable 202 I thought that this was done because it doesn't really fit wholly into any of the service areas: it has sections in both the western and northern areas. However, Transperth seems to have decided that high-frequency routes need high-frequency timetables (probably to mark them out). For me it's a little bit of a pointless step as I doubt anyone notices the pattern. That said, why not?

To answer your question (and this is only my best guess), it seems logical to me that routes 920 and 940 will be given 200 series timetable, although they do not have a turn-up-and-go weekend service whilst the routes that currently have 200 series timetables do. It's possible that the PTA will only bother to give 200 series timetables to services with a 7-day 15 minute or better service, but IMO this would add an unnecessary level of complexity and I doubt the PTA would do this.

I'm going slightly off-topic here, but given that route 106 has a better frequency on weekends than routes 920 and 940 perhaps it should be given a 9X0 number and a 200 series timetable. What do others think?

I think the PTA need to do a little more to promote their new numbering and their new 200 series timetables. It's all well and good to set up these numbering patterns, but they need to be advertised so that people actually notice them. It's about time the PTA creates a high frequency service map and possibly a little branding so to promote their high-frequency routes and corridors.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Agreed.....simply make it 906! Re-number all the rail reps to simply display what the train displays ie no numbers just the desto.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Proposed changes to 210, 211, 212

The three routes are proposed to operate east of Thornlie only, with services from Thornlie to Perth renumbered to 925. Services will however continue to be through routed where possible

212 will be every 30 minutes on Saturdays, otherwise no changes to frequencies or operating hours on the feeders. Also appears that the 15 minute weekend frequency will extend to Thornlie station from Carousel
900 series

Post by 900 series »

For the timetables I imagine the big test will be when the 930 is published (in a month or so?), which is not high-frequency and does fit cleanly into the eastern region - if this makes it in the 200s for the timetables then 920/940 definitely should imo, and may as well add the 955 and 956 for completeness.

Agree with putting the 106 in with the 900s, I am tempted to use 910 for it to tie in with the 9X0 theme and maintain a link with the 111.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

900 series wrote: The three routes are proposed to operate east of Thornlie only, with services from Thornlie to Perth renumbered to 925. Services will however continue to be through routed where possible
I could sense this one coming... Good to see. I'd imagine Canning Hwy is only a matter of time. Hopefully it'll mean simplifying the other short routes 104 and 105 and just replacing with a single number. The same needs to happen with the 955/956 too.

Evening frequency hasn't been specified, but hopefully it'll mean a standard 30 min minimum frequency in the evening/night (and running later than 8pm on a Sunday!).

Oh what a time to be alive for 900 series. Extended 955/956, enhanced 950/990, new 930 and 960 plus anything else in the pipeline?
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Transperth service changes

Post by TP1462 »

Would be nice to see Wanneroo road get a high frequency service even if it's only to Warwick station or Kingsway city, the 955 & 956 should be combined into a single service
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Mr OC Benz wrote:
900 series wrote: The three routes are proposed to operate east of Thornlie only, with services from Thornlie to Perth renumbered to 925. Services will however continue to be through routed where possible
I could sense this one coming... Good to see. I'd imagine Canning Hwy is only a matter of time. Hopefully it'll mean simplifying the other short routes 104 and 105 and just replacing with a single number. The same needs to happen with the 955/956 too.

Evening frequency hasn't been specified, but hopefully it'll mean a standard 30 min minimum frequency in the evening/night (and running later than 8pm on a Sunday!).

Oh what a time to be alive for 900 series. Extended 955/956, enhanced 950/990, new 930 and 960 plus anything else in the pipeline?
The Route 930 will travel from Esplanade Busport to Perth Airport T1 and T2 via the Gateway Interchange and Belmont. Note that the Gateway Interchange will open in November. Also the Virgin Australia Terminal besides the International Terminal will then be opened during that month. I reckon that this bus would run every 15 minutes to pull big passenger numbers and also reduce costs for people.
Route 970 - Mirrabooka Bus Station to Curtin University via the Perth Busport.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

900 series wrote: Agree with putting the 106 in with the 900s, I am tempted to use 910 for it to tie in with the 9X0 theme and maintain a link with the 111.
I like it. Though 911 is also tempting given how it would fit in well with 111 (111 & 910 isn't that much stronger than two random numbers).

This shies away from the 9x0 pattern for high frequency routes, but Perth needs far more than 10 high frequency routes, so it's inevitable.

An intermediate step that would buy more time is to have the high frequency routes as 9x0 or 9x5, such as proposed with 925, but even
that may prove insufficient longer term.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
theenglishguy

Post by theenglishguy »

900 series wrote:Proposed changes to 210, 211, 212

The three routes are proposed to operate east of Thornlie only, with services from Thornlie to Perth renumbered to 925. Services will however continue to be through routed where possible

212 will be every 30 minutes on Saturdays, otherwise no changes to frequencies or operating hours on the feeders. Also appears that the 15 minute weekend frequency will extend to Thornlie station from Carousel
Interesting decision. Good to see routes combined together, but I can see this creating a lot of unnecessary confusion. Going towards the city will be fine because most 210, 211 and 212s will turn into 925s, but this will create fair bit of confusion for those leaving the city. Which bus should they catch? Some buses terminate at Carousel, some turn into other routes, only a small proportion will actually go where you want.

The advantages of having a single route from Perth to Thornlie doesn't really justify the added confusion of bus routes changing number during their journey. It would make more sense if it split into just two routes at Thornlie (maybe a 925a and 925b), but three makes it difficult to use. Maybe 210 and 211 could be combined with each running every 30 mins?

Honestly, if they aren't going to make any major times/route changes they may as well keep it how it is. Just changing numbers doesn't do anything to improve the quality of the route.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Seems like window dressing to me.....but as far as rationalising things it's a good move.
Pommie - it's not a problem mate....think how the 60's continue via 34x's through Morley. The display will indicate the extension.
I'd like to see an extension of operating hours to justify the 925 number.
Personally I think we're getting a little too pedantic regarding whether the 900s should end with "5" or "0" etc etc. 900 series....FULL STOP is sufficient. I think the PTA will corner themselves by what they've started with regards to numbering - ten whole numbers ending in zero and likewise with 5. Should be based on area or familiarity which simply leaves the gate open for a hundred 900 series routes without the immature numbering regime.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Shoudy Chen wrote:The Route 930 will travel from Esplanade Busport to Perth Airport T1 and T2 via the Gateway Interchange and Belmont. Note that the Gateway Interchange will open in November. Also the Virgin Australia Terminal besides the International Terminal will then be opened during that month. I reckon that this bus would run every 15 minutes to pull big passenger numbers and also reduce costs for people.
It is going to be operating every 30 minutes, from commencement at least.
theenglishguy wrote: Interesting decision. Good to see routes combined together, but I can see this creating a lot of unnecessary confusion. Going towards the city will be fine because most 210, 211 and 212s will turn into 925s, but this will create fair bit of confusion for those leaving the city. Which bus should they catch? Some buses terminate at Carousel, some turn into other routes, only a small proportion will actually go where you want.
Yes as VL6MT says, hopefully the destination would indicate what route it continues as after reaching Thornlie. This was common place for Morley feeders (although not really important now) and was also critical for route 67 passengers to distinguish between the standard route and the route which deviates via April Rd and Cottonwood Cres, especially since they were often timetabled only a few minutes apart from each other during peak periods.
theenglishguy wrote:The advantages of having a single route from Perth to Thornlie doesn't really justify the added confusion of bus routes changing number during their journey. It would make more sense if it split into just two routes at Thornlie (maybe a 925a and 925b), but three makes it difficult to use. Maybe 210 and 211 could be combined with each running every 30 mins?
Given that the highest usage of the service is between Perth and Thornlie and that there would be a limited number of passengers who would actually travel from south of Thornlie to north of Thornlie (in particular, right through to the city) I doubt it'd be much of a problem. The idea is that the majority of people who are catching the service between Perth and Thornlie need only remember one route number. Splitting the routes to become feeder services will just mean that passengers will need to figure out whether they are transferring to a train or a bus at Thornlie.
theenglishguy wrote:Honestly, if they aren't going to make any major times/route changes they may as well keep it how it is. Just changing numbers doesn't do anything to improve the quality of the route.
I suspect there will be some improvements, but that's not quite true anyway. Simplifying and consolidating route numbers have significant benefits. There is less confusion, better and easier recognition and improved local awareness. In much the same way that a single train line only has one name even if it has a mixture of stopping patterns or termini, the same can apply to buses that travel a particular corridor. Basically the success of the 950 could be replicated on a smaller scale here. When people talk of Beaufort St, they don't fear that they've caught the wrong bus. They know that if you want Beaufort St, you catch the 950. Sure you've still got the 67 and 68, but if you're not PT savvy, then at least you can place your bets on the 950 taking you to where you want to go. The same applies to Scarborough Beach Rd (990) and Ellenbrook area (955/6). Bugger trying to remember 3 or more different route numbers on the same stretch of road when there's no need.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

^^^ yes I agree the more I consider this. It enables a high profile service to do its job and frankly there's no (or very minimal) inconvenience to pax and the core trunk of the route is given the priority status it deserves.
Aside from the numbering constraints, when considering the future, I am liking the PTA's direction. The 955/956 still bugs me somewhat......I can't put my finger on it precisely though.
Now what other 900's does this city need?
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

Probably a Perth - Armadale 900 based route! ;)

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Possibly an extension of the 925 you feel?
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Mr OC Benz wrote:
Shoudy Chen wrote:The Route 930 will travel from Esplanade Busport to Perth Airport T1 and T2 via the Gateway Interchange and Belmont. Note that the Gateway Interchange will open in November. Also the Virgin Australia Terminal besides the International Terminal will then be opened during that month. I reckon that this bus would run every 15 minutes to pull big passenger numbers and also reduce costs for people.
It is going to be operating every 30 minutes, from commencement at least.
Yet my futile arguments to the contrary were dismissed lol.....

It cannot possibly run a 15 min frequency with 4 buses. I learnt that 42 years ago....
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Did we all speak too soon???

Effective 11/10/2015
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Service ... nges-14462

Route 104 withdrawn. Route 105 and 106 combined and renumbered to Route 910 with improvements to the frequency, particularly in the evenings.
Bus Timetable 207

Route 111 now appears on Bus Timetable 39.

Key changes:
- Reduction in peak period trips (it was a bit excessive before anyway). Buses now typically every 7-8 mins in the peak with it ramping up to 5 mins during the "peak of the peak".
- Later weekday service departing Esplanade Busport at 11:45pm.
- 15 min frequency on weekends extended until 7pm.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”