New Purchase Volvo B10M MK11 PMC Body (Ex Veolia / Transdev)

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
north-coast-charters

New Purchase Volvo B10M MK11 PMC Body (Ex Veolia / Transdev)

Post by north-coast-charters »

Greetings all,

Previously I was going to buy a 2002 Toyota Coaster, But when I went to pick it up on the 15th of January it turns out the seller had put a forklift under the front to move it. That in turn did some damage to the steering arms, Control Arms, Radiator Chassis and Sump so I wasn't comfortable putting it back on the road knowing it had that damage especially to the Chassis.

So the replacement bus has been purchased for the measly price of $6000, From the History I can can on it. The bus previously ran plates MO8131 until around May 2014 then became MO5561 with Southtans (deans Coaches), I also have images of it in the Veolia and Transdev Livery. Then it was supposedly withdrawn by the 23/7/2019 and placed for Auction on the 31/3/2020, The Folks I bought it off bought it from F3 Auctions with the intention to convert it to a Motor home but plans changed. Then I bought it on the 30th of January 2021.

Now a couple of questions I have is it has speakers in it and had an old tape deck mounted under the Shifter buttons on the left, But it wasn't plugged in yet there is a Aerial plug on the right under the drivers window with a cut out that looks like an old AM Radio (literally a little rectangle with a drill hole either side which looks like the 2 holes for the dials).

I was wondering if anyone has any wiring diagrams for the drivers area, As I looked at the wiring from the door on the outside under the drivers window and nearly had a heart attack. As it still has a lot of the wiring in it for the CCTV, One can assume the OPAL reader, Digital Desto etc.

So I am hoping to try and eliminate as much of the redundant wiring out of that case as possible and clean it up a bit to make it easier in the future to diagnose and repair as the need arises. Which is why I'm chasing a wiring Diagram so I can go OK this is the factory wiring this isn't and strip it back to factory wiring with the exception of the "Wig Wag" School lights, As I'll be using the bus for my Bus Charter and Driver Business in Port Macquarie NSW with the odd school run so I'll keep it compliant. As knowing my luck I'll have them in and won't need them but take them out and I'll get a call from a school to do like an Excursion or an extra bus for the Swimming carnival etc.

Would any one have wiring diagrams for it as it's a 1989 Volvo B10M MK2 with PMC "Metro 90" bodywork according to the paperwork.

The other 3 questions I have are

1) Lights - The instrument cluster lights and high beams are inoperable would there be a reason for this and where would I look, As I've had a look at the list on the door of the electrical panel. Flicked the switch labelled "High Beam" and neither work, In addition to that the Tacho doesn't work. If I can before I put the bus into service with my Business I'd rather have those minor issues sorted.

2) Would any one have any seats to suit it that they are willing to sell, As it's been complianced as a 9 seater but the Tare and GVM remained the same and came with 2x additional double seats and the rear seat. So it has 18 seats of the original 57 fitted, If I can get at least 40 - 50 seats back into it that'll allow me to carry a decent amount of passengers. Plus fit a spot for a Portable Fridge like a Waeco for when I do the sports club runs etc they can put their drinks in it or the longer runs for the cold drinks and snacks etc.

3) It cruises at 100kph nicely but on the hills it tends to slug down to 60kph on the highway before it'll kick down from 4th to 3rd then it'll pick up speed and get back upto 100kp/h, But at the same time the Engine Temp rises from around 85 degrees to 100 degrees right on the line where it goes from white to red on the gauge. Pull up let it sit for a few minutes get going again then next long hill or over take (ie someone doing 80kph you overtake so you can do 100kph) and the temp will creep up to 100 degrees and the dash lights up warning you of such or on the hills it'll slug back down to 60kph and creep up temprature wise and won't kick down from 4th to 3rd until it hits 60kph. So I don't know if that's normal B10M behavior or if it's something to do with the ZF 4HP500 as the Engine seemed to be the only one to get hot while the transmission stayed cool the whole trip.

I'm not going to go crazy with it and keep it fairly stock with a few subtle upgrades, Like a reverse parking camera and a camera mounted above the Desto looking down. That way the rear view one acts as a digital rear view mirror and the front one looks directly down the front of the bus and allows me to see in that blind spot from the drivers seat that you normally can't see sitting down between the top of the dash and the ground.

I'll reconfigure the CCTV so it's not hooked up to wireless and just let it record straight to the Hard Drive, Then add 2 cameras to use all 4 inputs using the two existing and maybe one facing the front as a Dash cam of sorts and maybe one over the passenger door. That way it covers the drivers area, The full length of the bus internally, Dash Cam Front and the In's and outs of the bus.

I'll keep it simple but with a few subtle and tasteful upgrades, So if anyone can help that'd be amazing and thanks in advance. Photo's of the bus are below.

BA1.jpg
BA1.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Bus Pick up day 30th January 2021, Stopped for a Break half way for the 240km drive home.
BA2.jpg
BA2.jpg (157.26 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
The Horror that is the electrical panel
ba44.jpg
ba44.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Few other photo's put into one like the dash with the old tape deck then what it's like with the reverse camera screen fitted and powered up off a jumper pack while testing. Overall it's a clean solid bus considering it's now 32 years old with 678,000km on it.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: New Purchase Volvo B10M MK11 PMC Body (Ex Veolia / Transdev)

Post by Guy_Arab »

IF INTERESTED I HAVE VOLVO MANUALS CONTACT ME PM
GUY ARAB
ax8

Post by ax8 »

It's a shame it''s got the 4 speed auto and not the 5 speed, which makes it a lot nicer to drive, if you can find a 5 speed gearbox for it that would be a great upgrade. ZF 5hp500
north-coast-charters

Guy_Arab wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm IF INTERESTED I HAVE VOLVO MANUALS CONTACT ME PM
GUY ARAB
Will do when I can actually send messages (can currently receive but not send them), As I'm kind of winging it at the moment with very little to no information while learning about the systems so anything to help me look after the bus will help.
ax8 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 pm It's a shame it''s got the 4 speed auto and not the 5 speed, which makes it a lot nicer to drive, if you can find a 5 speed gearbox for it that would be a great upgrade. ZF 5hp500
The 5 speed would of been the cherry on top, But the 4 speed will do for the time being and it'll eventually get the upgrade. It drove great doing 100kph from Maitland to Port Macquarie, I didn't keep tabs on fuel economy but I put 100 litres of BP Vortex Diesel in at Maitland and that got me the 240km home. I was just more concerned about listening out for it to cough and splutter as it doesn't have a fuel gauge, So was trying not to let it run out. Looking underneath it looks like it has Dual 300 or 400 litre tanks, One either side behind the rear wheels with a cross over at the bottom.

For the age and kays it handles extremely well, If I had the choice between driving a 2017 Higer Munro that I've driven on occasions, A Toyota Coaster or the B10M. Hands down the B10M would be the one I jump behind the wheel of and take for the run, I can see now why they have a cult like following.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

NEW PURCHASE VOLVO B1O MY CONTACT IS GUY ARAB tram1one@bigpond.com
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Will do when I can actually send messages (can currently receive but not send them), As I'm kind of winging it at the moment with very little to no information while learning about the systems so anything to help me look after the bus will help.
Has now been enabled.
Living in the Shire.
north-coast-charters

Fleet Lists wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:24 pm
Has now been enabled.
Awesome thank you.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

MY PHONE NUMBER IS 0892798872 IT IS A PRIVATE NUMBER HERE IN WA
GUY ARAB
north-coast-charters

Hey all,

Just an update, I managed to get a comprehensive set of manuals from an unlikely source being Port Bus. As I hired their Higer Munro to do a Birthday Bus run (Not to keen on the HIger's) and they offered me a set as they saw my bus parked out the front of my place so I took them up on that offer.

Now the couple of questions I halve question albeit it minor is,

My Bus doesn't have a Fuel Gauge. Looking at the Fuel tanks as it has a Dual tank set up being one on the drivers side another on the passenger side outboard of the chassis sitting just behind the rear wheels linked by a lower cross over tube and an upper breather tube. I can't see any spots where a fuel level gauge sender unit would sit in tank other then the unit already in place which I assume is the Fuel Pump unit / return line on the passenger side tank. As I'd prefer to put one in and hopefully mount the gauge in the factory location on the dash even if it means running a seperate lot of wires to it up through the dash.
Fuel Gauge.jpg
Fuel tank drivers side.jpg
Fuel tank passenger side.jpg

Headlights

With the help of my Uncle who is an electrical engineer (did his time with the RAAF), We removed the "Wig Wag" school light module which was rather messily piggy backed onto existing wiring. I'm talking no proper piggy back clips or solder it was a Cut Join electrical tape job, We took that out and connected the top pair of indicators to the bottom so each side now has an indicator top and bottom front and rear.

Everything works with the exception of the instrument cluster lights (which haven't worked in the month I've owned the bus), But the headlights now seem dim they work but are dim. When the low beams are on sitting in the drivers seat you can't tell they are on, Highbeams look like how the low beams should and the LED light bar just leaves them for dead. As the LED light bar and headlights were great until the Wig Wags came out, Because the LED light bar is hooked into the High beams for power then goes to a master switch using a Light bar loom. That way the LED light bar will operate with the high beam switch pending if the master switch is on or not.

As when I turn the headlight switch on I can hear the relay activating down to my right in the electrical cupboard, It's just weird how they went from working well to being dim by removing an aftermarket piggy backed system as I have no intention of doing school runs.

It's a great solid bus and just needs a little TLC to sort out the electrics which have been butchered and aftermarket Systems added over the years by various people. So I want to get it back to fairly stock wiring then build it back up from there and done properly, A lot of the extensions in wiring were done using old house hold extension cords.

Don't get me wrong it all worked but it was Messy with to many cooks in the kitchen, So if I can get it to a respectable state electrical wise and keep the fire risk to a minimum I'll be happy.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

As I'll be using the bus for my Bus Charter and Driver Business in Port Macquarie NSW with the odd school run so I'll keep it compliant. As knowing my luck I'll have them in and won't need them but take them out and I'll get a call from a school to do like an Excursion or an extra bus for the Swimming carnival etc.
The wig-wag lights should only be used for pick up/drop off services which take children to/from schools. They are not required on point-to-point charters.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

IF YOU REQUIRE THE WIRING WHEN NEW EMAIL ME I SEND A COPY
GUY ARAB
adamstevens2196

Post by adamstevens2196 »

Hey,
I see your bus was ex #94, I have ex #92
Yours does not have the original front on it, so I find it quite interesting that you are having issues with electrical things, I think it could be to do with when it had an accident and got re-fronted.
I see in your photos it has a list/diagram of what’s what in the electrical cupboard which mine does not have.

Mine doesn’t have a fuel gauge either, best off just writing down the Km’s when you fill it up each time you fuel it, I have a newer B10M which has a fuel gauge but you cannot rely on it though.

I am no mechanic or electrician, but let me know if you have any further questions and maybe want to compare the two. They are identical and were ordered/delivered in the same batch to Southtrans when new.
north-coast-charters

adamstevens2196 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:27 pm Hey,
I see your bus was ex #94, I have ex #92
Yours does not have the original front on it, so I find it quite interesting that you are having issues with electrical things, I think it could be to do with when it had an accident and got re-fronted.
I see in your photos it has a list/diagram of what’s what in the electrical cupboard which mine does not have.

Mine doesn’t have a fuel gauge either, best off just writing down the Km’s when you fill it up each time you fuel it, I have a newer B10M which has a fuel gauge but you cannot rely on it though.

I am no mechanic or electrician, but let me know if you have any further questions and maybe want to compare the two. They are identical and were ordered/delivered in the same batch to Southtrans when new.
I sure do and funnily enough I think I was watching one of your Youtube Videos yesterday. I also stumbled across this the other day which explains the front end, So it seems it has a PMC body and had a nose job done inspired by a Custom Coaches 510 and Bustech VST.
156081045_484326582751347_5455388864008780607_n.jpg
A close up of that list for you is here
147086453_257391279235893_2981868847853987356_n.jpg
Guy_Arab wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:58 pm IF YOU REQUIRE THE WIRING WHEN NEW EMAIL ME I SEND A COPY
GUY ARAB
Will Do thanks Mate, I had a blonde moment with the Headlights. The reason they looked dim is because only the parkers were on and low beam were not getting power, But they do when High beams are on all 4 are as bright as. As it appears the outer lights are running H4 bulbs for the Low / High beam while the inner are running H7 bulbs.

But any who I'm slowly plodding along with it getting it ready to Re Register, Some of the old wiring for like the Ticket machine which was hooked to the Ignition isolator switch. I've repurposed that and installed a 24v Cigerette lighter socket on the side panel towards the front, Which allows me to plug in my Phone Charger Cradle and GPS and hid the cables mostly between the dash and the drivers window. As well as put in a new bluetooth SD MP3 head unit, 4 of the 6 speakers work and are a bit crackly so it'll be an excuse to put some new ones in right through with new speaker wire.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

EMAIl ME ON tram1one@bigpond for wiring data guy arab
north-coast-charters

Hey all,

Apologies for a slow respond of over a month, We just had to deal with the recent floods on the NSW Mid North Coast which were full on. Our Family ended up losing 5 cars and 2 homes, Plus where the bus is normally parked about 15 minutes drive from my place was going under. So I pretty much had to race up there with Mum to rescue it to get it to higher ground, Once we got it out and onto solid road and to higher ground I was happy and it's still parked at home now because where it gets stored the grounds still super soggy and soft.

But in saying that it's now got a full compliment of seats in it again, Fair enough the Vinyl is Green but the seat frames were a near identical match and local for $100 the set. So what I've done is up the back is put 2x blue facing rearwards, Up Front 3x blue facing forward and the original blue rear bench seat. All the rest are green and it's now a 55 passenger instead of 57, As I found the seat right behind the driver to squishy with me sitting in it my face was like 3 inches from the perspex and I found it to closed in. So I removed that seat and installed a clip system for a bin and 60 Litre Esky / Portable fridge, Which pulls double duties allowing to have cool drinks and snacks on board for Charters and giving that extra space buffer between the Driver and passengers So it's now a 56 seater total instead of 58 overall 1 bench seat lost in favour of an Esky I'm not to fussed on.
interior.jpg
interior.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
As for the wiring I'm slowly winning, I found the bulk of the issues were related to when either the bus was decommisioned or the previous owners. As wiring for like the old OPAL reader, Ticket Machine etc the wiring was just cut and the units removed leaving the live wiring behind which in turn kept tripping the fuses and breakers. Once I cleared all the aftermarket stuff out and eliminated all that and using some of the diagrams on the back of the instrument cluster, I've made good progress and the interior lights now operate. In addition to that the Instrument cluster lights they have a solid power input but no ground, Once I put a ground jumper cable to one of them they sprung into life and even the tacho started showing signs of life by jumping upto 1000rm then down when the bus was powered up but not running. So I think once I rectify the ground issue on the dash for the night time lights it'll be 100% operational again as the idiot lights speedo and all the gauges work it's just no night time illumination and tacho for the time being which will hopefully be fixed this week.

But it does look good at night with the interior lights lit up, As they are bright enough but not to obnoxiously bright. The picture with the seats in is how bright they look internally, With the back being brighter then the front.
exterior.jpg
exterior.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

It's getting there slowly, But in all whats happened over the past 2 months I'm still also in the process of getting my BOAS Bus operators accreditation and Driver Authority within NSW to allow me to legally operate the Charter Service and carry passengers. Once I've done that the bus will be Re Registered under the Business name and put back into service doing Charters for Sports Clubs, Pub Crawls, Bucks and Hens Nights, Airport and Cruise Transfers, Event transfers, Custom Charters etc around the NSW Mid North Coast with the odd trip to Sydney.

I'll keep you all updated as it goes (If I remember to jump on here, As I mainly do the bus updates in Insta on the business page. Because my previous customers from when I was hiring buses are following it and are keen to see it on the road).
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

DO YOU REQUIRE ANY MANUALS FOR YOUR BUS REPAIR SERVICE OR WIRING DATA
GUY ARAB

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”