Tap and Pay for buses

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

Tap and Pay for buses

Post by jibb »

The Transport Minister has announced that come October new eqipment will be installed on the O-Bahn fleet of busès to enable use of Debit and Credit cards the same as on our Tram fleet
The remainder of the Bus fleet will have this equipment installed from July 2022 .
PD2/20

Re: Tap and Pay for buses

Post by PD2/20 »

jibb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:34 am The Transport Minister has announced that come October new eqipment will be installed on the O-Bahn fleet of busès to enable use of Debit and Credit cards the same as on our Tram fleet
The remainder of the Bus fleet will have this equipment installed from July 2022 .
Is there a link to a media release? What about trains? I note that Tap and Pay is only for regular fares and doen't provide concession or student fares.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The media release initially appeared on the Adelaide Metro website, before being taken down.
You might try Corey Wingards media releases for Saturday 31 st July. I don t recall any mention of trains.
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

jibb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm The media release initially appeared on the Adelaide Metro website, before being taken down.
You might try Corey Wingards media releases for Saturday 31 st July. I don t recall any mention of trains.
Thanks. I had looked at the recent press releases but didn't look back far enough! There was a brief mention of extending Tap and Pay eventually to trains.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

NFCW---> Adelaide to roll out open loop tap-and-pay ticketing across public transport network
Adelaide Metro is to enable passengers to make contactless fare payments with their credit or debit card or their tap-and-pay digital wallet on all its bus, train and tram services in the South Australian state capital.

The transit authority began testing the open loop contactless ticketing system on the city’s tram network in September 2020 and is now preparing for a full rollout, beginning with its O-Bahn bus rapid transit services next year.

The system will complement the existing metroCARD transit card and Seniors Card fare payment options, with tap-and-pay users being charged the equivalent of a single regular metroCARD fare that will remain valid for two hours.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

PD2/20 wrote:
jibb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm The media release initially appeared on the Adelaide Metro website, before being taken down.
Thanks. I had looked at the recent press releases but didn't look back far enough! There was a brief mention of extending Tap and Pay eventually to trains.
Hopefully they will do trains straight after buses.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

I just hope it works like the Oyster system in London. Same validator, same everything, just accepting the debit card.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Lieselta wrote:I just hope it works like the Oyster system in London. Same validator, same everything, just accepting the debit card.
It should be the same across all modes otherwise what's the point.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

verbatim9 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:55 pm
Lieselta wrote:I just hope it works like the Oyster system in London. Same validator, same everything, just accepting the debit card.
It should be the same across all modes otherwise what's the point.
It wouldn't surprise me. Look at even AdeMet's signage.. they can't decide on anything. Something I envy about TfL is that they're consistent.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Lieselta wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:26 pm I just hope it works like the Oyster system in London. Same validator, same everything, just accepting the debit card.
It will be a different validator, as seen on the trams
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:27 pm
Lieselta wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:26 pm I just hope it works like the Oyster system in London. Same validator, same everything, just accepting the debit card.
Sigh... Perhaps this is a cheaper, stopgap solution until the next major infrastructure upgrade?
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:27 pm
Oh dear hahahhaha

thats the only response i can think of, its genuinely baffling
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

i hope that if/when Tap and Pay is fully rolled out we go back to accepting cash for tickets as well as this way there will be no way anyone can get a free ride due to lack of a particular payment option.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

While I tend to agree in principle, it sounds as though Adelaide, like Perth (and other cities) is lacking in proper enforcement of fare-evasion issues. You could theoretically accept every currency, down to whatever the humanoids in the Delta quadrant are using, but if it is only left to the driver to "force" passengers into paying for their ride... The problem will persist, as will assaults on drivers and damage inflicted upon the vehicles by those scumbags who think they're better than paying for a ride on the bus.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

I think we should end the principle that drivers need to police paying of fares. They don't have the power to enforce the provisions of relevant law and it's very easy for people to make up reasonable sounding excuses (I did my online recharge an hour ago!!!). I don't get why people even bother drivers with it. It would be helpful if recharging was far more accessible through a mobile app that does it *instantly*, or if contactless was accepted within the one validator like Oyster readers or Myki readers. Metrocard is simply inaccessible in many ways - I shouldn't have to call the info line to add a 14 day pass to my card!
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

Fully agree, it is yesterday's news to expect the bus operator, who is the lowest paid in the chain, to enforce fare paying compliance. If the dregs within SAPTA who sold out their fellow workers and gave themselves cushy jobs still within government in their role as transition team, well they can go out on the buses, trams and trains and face the fare evaders themselves. Not that I expect this will happen, none of them would get their hands dirty.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

gunzel42 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:27 pm Fully agree, it is yesterday's news to expect the bus operator, who is the lowest paid in the chain, to enforce fare paying compliance. If the dregs within SAPTA who sold out their fellow workers and gave themselves cushy jobs still within government in their role as transition team, well they can go out on the buses, trams and trains and face the fare evaders themselves. Not that I expect this will happen, none of them would get their hands dirty.
I forget SAPTA even exists most of the time. All of their info is impossible to find. Surely you could find the Wayfinding Handbook they made? This is almost always published by transport authorities.

Sadly drivers will continue to bare the brunt of a system that is flawed and means even well meaning people are forced to fare evade because they didn't plan an emergency with two hours to spare.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

While it's a tricky predicament, if it becomes publicly known that drivers will no longer enforce fares, then basically it just becomes a free-for-all. There are so few inspectors & security (apart from evening train services) that there is a very remote chance that users would ever get caught. It cannot be this way. Either enforcement needs to be increased at least 10-fold, or drivers still need to require passengers to validate. That's not saying they should get into arguments which could turn violent, but there needs to be some checks and balances within the system.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit conducts regular ticket checks on their routes,often using experienced drivers.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

I was on an O-Bahn artic yesterday and the Tap and Pay ticket machines were installed at each entrance. The same 'swipe pad' takes both Metrocards and PayWave cards.

They're identical to those in this photo -

https://m.facebook.com/251887831530201/ ... 287226323/
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

hillsbus wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 pm I was on an O-Bahn artic yesterday and the Tap and Pay ticket machines were installed at each entrance. The same 'swipe pad' takes both Metrocards and PayWave cards.

They're identical to those in this photo -

https://m.facebook.com/251887831530201/ ... 287226323/
Hoorayy!!!! Any photos?
whasam01

Post by whasam01 »

Same here on 1162 this arvo, all in one validator 🙂
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

https://youtu.be/kTq9RQWes5w

Looks like the new green tick and other new icons are a standard nationwide. Qld smart ticketing taking a similar approach with the new symbols on their new validators.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

At least judging by the video, the validators don't try cute beeps or anything nasty like that.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”