SA lockdown

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: SA lockdown

Post by tonyp »

The reason we have artics is to provide capacity for higher demand than can be met with a fleet of rigid buses. Nobody is disputing that they cost more to run, just as a train costs even more to run but it carries many more people still. With rigid buses nowadays being constrained to carrying about 60 or so passengers, either through poor internal design or, if designed well, through regulations, an artic will carry the load of almost two rigids, yet still with only one driver which is a huge saving itself. The situation with the lockdown is an aberration and can't be used as a normal operating environment in which to compare operating costs relative to patronage moved.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I take the points raised and do not disagree with a number of them, but I do come back to my inital comment, why on earth are artics being run at a time of strict lockdown, when very few people are travelling and projected loadings could have been realistically projected, when the lockdown was announced.

My point is as simple as that!
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Because as has been stated a number of times, Southlink don't have enough rigid buses to operate all of its diagrams. It's that simple. As to whether the number of services operated should have been reduced, that's a Department for Transport & Infrastructure decision.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Based on the language coming out of Nicola Spurrier and Steven Marshall today, it sounds like a hangover from this lockdown is that bus drivers and passengers in Adelaide will have to get used to wearing face masks for a long time to come, just like how Melbourne commuters have for over a year now.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TT wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 pmSouthlink must be the only drivers who get wage loadings for driving artics.
Where did you get this rubbish from?
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

Skexis wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 pm
TT wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 pmSouthlink must be the only drivers who get wage loadings for driving artics.
Where did you get this rubbish from?
Is it in the EB under Flexible Working Arrangements....? :roll:
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Skexis, I didn’t. It was in Tim Williams earlier post claiming that drivers get paid wage loadings when driving artics, referring to the expense of artics being used on Glen Osmond Rd runs. I know Torrens drivers don’t, hence my comment. If you read my later post it shows I could find no reference to such a claim in Southlinks drivers agreement on the Fair Work website.
I don’t expect an apology from you: you obviously hadn’t read the other posts.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

According to the Australian Government FAIR WORK Ombudsman - Passenger Vehicle Transportation Award [MA000063] the Articulated Bus (Driving) Allowance is $14.08 per shift.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Yes, the Award includes provisions for an artic allowance. However, Enterprise Agreements don't necessarily meet that provision (or others), where drivers are 'better off over all' through some other provision (like a higher hourly rate).

For example, I know of an operation paying time and a third for Saturdays and Overtime, plus time and three quarters for Sundays. As their hourly rate is several dollars an hour above award, however, it is permissible.

As another poster has mentioned, Southlink's EA includes no artic allowance.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, that is the point, that the registered EBA has to contain rates, provisions etc. that result in those being paid under the EBA being (in overall terms) as good as or better than the rates and conditions of the award (incl those Fair Work conditions) that their employer/industry are respondent to.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”