New upgraded bus stops

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Admet75

New upgraded bus stops

Post by Admet75 »

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... nt-project

One thing missing in all of this is for those who don’t have modern phones or technology timetables will again be void of these stops.

In other words if you don’t have a modern phone forget about when your public transport service arrives.

Compare this to from 1998 to 2002 when Adelaide Metro embarked on a aggressive marketing campaign that enabled all Adelaide Metro stops to have timetables affixed to all public transport stops or stations.
Last edited by Admet75 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jibb

Re: New upgraded bus timetables

Post by jibb »

It appears that most timetables have been removed from bus stop holders and replaced with a blue sheet, advising of timetable changes back on January 26th.
Not everyone has a smart phone to look up departure times from stops, others are not familiar how to find the details on Adelaide Metro website.
These people in SAPTA have got their head in the clouds and wonder why patronage is dropping off?
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

I think a good alternative is to list frequencies for routes on the stops, rather than a complete list of times.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

That depends. If the service is infrequent, I'd rather an actual timetable rather than being told the bus runs every two hours.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

As would I.

The NT's approach for seldom-serviced stops is a Blue post (instead of a yellow one or totem pole) advising passengers to download the NT Bus Tracker App or phone the helpline for more information. Whereas Perth would just give you the bog-standard orange pole.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Re: New upgraded bus stops

Post by Route 506 »

I was really disappointed when they removed the timetables from bus stops because there are many people who don’t have a smart phone and relied on their bus stop timetable. Even some of the suburban railway stations don’t have physical timetables which is really poor. Yes there are the push button machines but what if they don’t work. I recall interstate stations have both digital displays of train times as well as physical timetables.
We have so many bus stops with the timetable holders just need the timetables reinstalled!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

They’ve placed the timetable changes on 26th January at many Hills stops too, despite no hills services having any changes on the 26th. I also note there’s a large number of advertisements for mobile apps in some stops, but no timetables left in any

Definitely a shame they’ve done this, it also seems to be getting harder and harder to get a paper copy of any timetable now
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
jibb

Post by jibb »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:28 pm They’ve placed the timetable changes on 26th January at many Hills stops too, despite no hills services having any changes on the 26th. I also note there’s a large number of advertisements for mobile apps in some stops, but no timetables left in any

Definitely a shame they’ve done this, it also seems to be getting harder and harder to get a paper copy of any timetable now
Unless you want to visit the Adelaide Metro Info Centre at the Railway Station
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

jibb wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm Unless you want to visit the Adelaide Metro Info Centre at the Railway Station
The Railway Station (or anywhere in the CBD) is no use for people who don’t travel there regularly, or for people who work different shifts to when the infocentre opens. Not everyone works 9-5 in the CBD anymore.

This is a far cry from the days of InfoBars in many suburban shopping centres and newsagents

I’m fortunate that using apps and the website for transport doesn’t inconvenience me much. But if my 96 year old neighbours wanted to, with no mobile phone, probably no internet, and now no timetables available locally, they’re probably just going to call a cab.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45 am
jibb wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm Unless you want to visit the Adelaide Metro Info Centre at the Railway Station
The Railway Station (or anywhere in the CBD) is no use for people who don’t travel there regularly, or for people who work different shifts to when the infocentre opens. Not everyone works 9-5 in the CBD anymore.

This is a far cry from the days of InfoBars in many suburban shopping centres and newsagents

I’m fortunate that using apps and the website for transport doesn’t inconvenience me much. But if my 96 year old neighbours wanted to, with no mobile phone, probably no internet, and now no timetables available locally, they’re probably just going to call a cab.
Does anyone know where InfoBars are located anymore?

The only 2 I know of are in Southern Cross Arcade by the newsagent and inside the Women's and Children's Hospital off the Kermode St entance
jibb

Post by jibb »

There is one in the Glenelg Village Shopping Centre on the corner of Brighton and Jetty Roads.
Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

Info bar locations I know of:
Gilles plains and clovercrest shopping centre. Golden grove village. Newton Village Gorge Road shopping centre.
Some service sa branches.
Some libraries stock relevant timetables.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Printing and distributing timetables most likely wasn't cheap and the wastage would have been high. Soviet style info boards at major stops and interchanges would be a reasonable compromise though. There used to be a large one at Colonnades but that was done away with a while back. Shame really as I saw many people using it.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Stop W1 North Tce has been replaced with the new style.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm Printing and distributing timetables most likely wasn't cheap and the wastage would have been high. Soviet style info boards at major stops and interchanges would be a reasonable compromise though. There used to be a large one at Colonnades but that was done away with a while back. Shame really as I saw many people using it.
Marion has 4 large plinths with timetables for all routes using the Centre Bus Roadvon both sides of the bus road-even has the new timetables on display.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

A phone call to Adelaide Metro and timetables are posted out within a few days. So the elderly passengers tell me.
West Lakes library has a fully stocked info bar with updated timetables for all NW suburb routes.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”