Manual transmission discussion

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Manual transmission discussion

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

TA3001 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 pm It's likely that the allocation was done based on driver preference.
Never been too sure on that but if that's happening that's good, all I know is members on here have told me you just get what ever bus you are given and yet a few years ago I used to know this bus driver that would always try and get the old diesel manual buses when starting his shift so I don't know how he did that then 🤔
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: [Sept/Oct 2020] SA transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm Never been too sure on that but if that's happening that's good, all I know is members on here have told me you just get what ever bus you are given and yet a few years ago I used to know this bus driver that would always try and get the old diesel manual buses when starting his shift so I don't know how he did that then 🤔
I'd be interested to know which bus this was; all new deliveries that I'm aware of in the last 40 years have been automatic. Unless it was quite a few years ago.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Big Engine Mechanic

I'd be interested to know which bus this was; all new deliveries that I'm aware of in the last 40 years have been automatic. Unless it was quite a few years ago.
[/quote]

So would I 🤔 I've been looking for this bus for a while now it was a good one and Im having problems finding it,
The bus had maroon leather like seats.
All I know is that in 2007 I used to catch this bus from Marion interchange to noarlunga area and I would always get this happy go lucky bus driver that would friendly brag to me and my mate about (Getting this manual bus again before anybody else did) and saying that
(They're slowly getting rid of them) and (It's like
how are you supposed to drive one of these when it's not a manual 🤷 your just using your breaks it's sh*t) and I saw him and heard him changing gears, same bus driver would sometimes play loud heavy metal music on the bus.
I had his number but I lost it with the mobile I had at the time.
I wasn't working on Metro buses in 2007
A lot of buses out there do come in manual.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:00 pm
So would I 🤔 I've been looking for this bus for a while now it was a good one and Im having problems finding it,
The bus had maroon leather like seats.
All I know is that in 2007 I used to catch this bus from Marion interchange to noarlunga area and I would always get this happy go lucky bus driver that would friendly brag to me and my mate about (Getting this manual bus again before anybody else did) and saying that
(They're slowly getting rid of them) and (It's like
how are you supposed to drive one of these when it's not a manual 🤷 your just using your breaks it's sh*t) and I saw him and heard him changing gears, same bus driver would sometimes play loud heavy metal music on the bus.
I had his number but I lost it with the mobile I had at the time.
I wasn't working on Metro buses in 2007
A lot of buses out there do come in manual.
It wasn’t the Premier’s Victor Harbor run was it?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Big Engine Mechanic

It wasn’t the Premier’s Victor Harbor run was it?
[/quote]

No it wasn't that bus run, it was a standard Adelaide metro run,
Marion Centre Interchange to Colonnades Centre Interchange, what number that was in 2007 I can't remember.
softgrow

Post by softgrow »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm
TA3001 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 pm It's likely that the allocation was done based on driver preference.
Never been too sure on that but if that's happening that's good, all I know is members on here have told me you just get what ever bus you are given and yet a few years ago I used to know this bus driver that would always try and get the old diesel manual buses when starting his shift so I don't know how he did that then 🤔
What advantage would having a manual bus have? (I'm assuming diesel or old wouldn't be a desirable criteria).
Big Engine Mechanic

softgrow wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:49 pm
What advantage would having a manual bus have? (I'm assuming diesel or old wouldn't be a desirable criteria).
Manual vehicles allow you to have full control over the engine, applying the brakes should really be done with in the last 5km when stopping.
When you apply the brakes the engine doesn't actually properly slow down,
by applying the brakes you are forcing a gear change at the wrong speed and in turn damaging the motor and gearbox, you use more fuel and lose power to the brakes.
All bigger vehicles should really be manual due to the lack of stopping power,
it is much safer that way, if you know what your doing you will be able to stop a heavy vehicle much quicker with a manual.
Old and or diesel engines are very economical, you get more kms from diesel and more grunt.
They last for a very long time ie if looked after but even then I've seen old diesel engines start up after like 70+ years (Boy that's fun)
diesel actually constantly when running cleans out the engine too, you can clean engine parts with diesel as well.
I really hated it when they got rid of the old diesel trams, I'm like are you serious 😠😤
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Regarding the earlier comments about manual gearboxes, in the current environment,they have very little to offer.
The modern electronic/computer controlled auto gearbox is a high sophisticated unit that ensures the buses will travel in the correct ratio for the conditions and speed etc.,thus better looking after the engine and drive line components and providing the best fuel economy, and smoothest ride for the passengers. These units, which are very reliable, usually will incorporate a retarder which will do most of the braking down to a few kms.per hr, under normal circumstances, if the bus is driven correctly.

In heavy traffic, an auto g/box will significantly reduce the driver's workload compare to say the old constant mesh manual g/boxes.
Big Engine Mechanic

@Tim Williams
Not true, they are not that good.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Having owned and run buses myself, I can honestly say that you are living in the past. I have operated buses with electronic/computer controlled auto g/boxes and they were brilliant - taking your thoughts and applying it to airliners, we would still be traveling in Lockheed Constellations or Douglas DC7C's etc.

You are more than welcome to put forward your point of view on this forum, but you will achieve more with fact rather than bland statements of dismissal,
Big Engine Mechanic

Tim Williams wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:30 pm You are more than welcome to put forward your point of view on this forum, but you will achieve more with fact rather than bland statements of dismissal,
The fact is I am a Mechanic that works on buses so it's not a point of view it's qualified knowledge.
Tim Williams

Re: Manual transmission discussion

Post by Tim Williams »

Aged 69 and still maintaining buses - you should have some fun!!
Big Engine Mechanic

Re: Manual transmission discussion

Tim Williams wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm Aged 69 and still maintaining buses - you should have some fun!!
I consider it to be my fun :D Thankyou though.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”