Adelaide Bus Run Numbers

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
BusFan23

Adelaide Bus Run Numbers

Post by BusFan23 »

Hello.

I have been wondering about Adelaide Bus, specifically Torrens Transit, bus run numbers. I am unable to find a lot of information online.
I was wondering if these are the small signs in the windscreens on buses (in small black carries/holders)? Adding to that, where can I find run numbers of buses.

Thank you.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: Adelaide Bus Run Numbers

Post by The Phonj »

The small signs you find in the windscreens were traditionally Run numbers when the buses were Government run.

Torrens Transit display the shift number; which consists of four digits. The first digit indicates the depot, the second digit indicates the shift type and the last two digits are a number; typically (bot not always) starting from 00 and working upwards. A suffix letter (eg 'W') is used to represent day variants, for example early dismissal school runs, etc. The shift number will stay with the driver, across (potentially) multiple buses.

Southlink display 'trip numbers'. These are akin to the run numbers that used to be shown by the former Government operators. My observations suggest that '10xx' trip numbers are from Aldgate depot, and '13xx' trip numbers are from Mt. Barker depot.

Busways I am not entirely sure on, my observations show they have a three digit number, followed by a letter. The letters I have seen are L and S; which I assume represent Lonsdale and Seaford depots.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Thank you very much
The Phonj wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 pm The small signs you find in the windscreens were traditionally Run numbers when the buses were Government run.

Torrens Transit display the shift number; which consists of four digits. The first digit indicates the depot, the second digit indicates the shift type and the last two digits are a number; typically (bot not always) starting from 00 and working upwards. A suffix letter (eg 'W') is used to represent day variants, for example early dismissal school runs, etc. The shift number will stay with the driver, across (potentially) multiple buses.

Southlink display 'trip numbers'. These are akin to the run numbers that used to be shown by the former Government operators. My observations suggest that '10xx' trip numbers are from Aldgate depot, and '13xx' trip numbers are from Mt. Barker depot.

Busways I am not entirely sure on, my observations show they have a three digit number, followed by a letter. The letters I have seen are L and S; which I assume represent Lonsdale and Seaford depots.
jibb

Post by jibb »

As part of each companies contract with the Government, these biscuits(as mentioned above)must be displayed at all times whilst the bus is in service.
None of the Adelaide apps which show vehicle location,route,time etc do not show run/shift/trip numbers.
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

jibb wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 pm As part of each companies contract with the Government, these biscuits(as mentioned above)must be displayed at all times whilst the bus is in service.
None of the Adelaide apps which show vehicle location,route,time etc do not show run/shift/trip numbers.

It’s not in the GTFS data sadly however you can see the routes that a driver will take on their trip/shift. NextThere is good for this.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Lieselta wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 pmNextThere is good for this.
Only if you have an iphone.
route 228

Post by route 228 »

jibb wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 pm As part of each companies contract with the Government, these biscuits(as mentioned above)must be displayed at all times whilst the bus is in service.
Something i have Noticed , When we had Southlink in the Outer North , There Biscuits had the Run number on Both sides so did not matter which way it was put in . But since Torrens Transit have taken Over there Biscuits are printed only 1 side , So a few Buses here and there i see with a Blank Biscuit up Front .[ And the Occasional upside down one too . ]
Living on the 228 bus run.

Route 228 Smithfield interchange to Victoria Square in the city of Adelaide South Australia.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 pm
Lieselta wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 pmNextThere is good for this.
Only if you have an iphone.
They will not be introducing an Android app,but will make "Next There" available in the near future on its browser.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

So a few Buses here and there i see with a Blank Biscuit up Front .[ And the Occasional upside down one too .
If the biscuit is yellow and blank it means they’re doing overtime (usually a cut in on another shift) and they don’t have the original shift biscuit available for display. Most of Torrens shift biscuits are blank yellow on the reverse side , or the actual biscuit holder in the bus has a a blank yellow plate in it for use when cut ins/overtime is being done.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”