Current Bus Contracts/Renewals

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Skexis

Re: Current Bus Contracts/Renewals

Post by Skexis »

Latest Busways info is that the drivers are now expected to sweep the interior of their buses after their shift plus wait in the bus whilst its being refuelled before moving it to its berth. Also meal breaks are to be taken wherever the driver happens to be at the time.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit drivers most of the time have to sweep the inside of their bus before either refuelling or parking bus on track
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Nothing new in any of this - bus drivers have been sweeping the bus out at end of shift for 100+ years now. Likewise taking meal breaks at terminii etc. Just getting rid of some of the featherbedding which has crept in over the last few decades.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

As long as drivers are getting paid for the time it takes to sweep/mop and refuel (or berth after refuellers have refilled) it’s no big deal. I don’t think Busways will be getting drivers to do it without them being paid for that time.
Meal breaks can’t be just anywhere “wherever you are”: there’s got to be adequate toilet facilities for a start. And many terminii don’t have that. And I think you’re entitled to have some kitchen facilities and heating/cooling depending on weather. I don’t think sitting in a bus eating a burger is appropriate (or complying with rules of no eating or drinking on buses: should apply to everyone if it’s on health/cleanliness grounds).
From memory Serco used to have meal break rostered at the BP service station/truck stop on Grand Junction Rd, Wingfield. Possibly other servos as well?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit still have a meal break room in shops on Hallett Road Stonyfell.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

They do. And it’s got toilets,TV, kitchen facilities, tables, chairs, lounges, heating and cooling.
It might be a shop front from the outside but it’s a proper meal room (much like any depot meal room, albeit small) inside.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

I haven't heard any updates on the tram new contract starting on July 5th? Will all existing tram Rail Commissioner staff be transferred to the new company owned by Torrens Transit and John Holland etc?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Most of them will, I believe some Torrens Transit management are moving over to Torrens Connect to operate the tram network. Being a private operator run consortium, I imagine it will be operated differently to the state government operation that will exist till July 4th.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Busways had their first major stuff up the other day. Sent an email to everyone but included every email address in the to field. Everyone now has everyone elses email address.
Holsty1

Post by Holsty1 »

jibb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:05 pm
jibb wrote:I would imagine TT's current small Edinburgh depot will close with these new networks with the Elizabeth depot close by, and no J1 ,500 or 502 services operating from Elizabeth-Salisbury.
New route 30 Elizabeth-Golden Grove could be serviced by Elizabeth or St Agnes Depots.
There is a possibility of the current Pooraka Depot closing when Torrens Transit takes over the Outer North contract area in July.
That could make a at least 3 TT depots closed or closing? Obviously TT now prefer less but larger depots(keeps their costs down).
Pooraka depot become LINK SA DEPOT
jibb

Post by jibb »

Edinburgh Depot fleet and drivers will go to Elizabeth Depot.( to operate J1,500,502).
Last edited by jibb on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Holsty1 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:08 pm
jibb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:05 pm
There is a possibility of the current Pooraka Depot closing when Torrens Transit takes over the Outer North contract area in July.
That could make a at least 3 TT depots closed or closing? Obviously TT now prefer less but larger depots(keeps their costs down).
Pooraka depot become LINK SA DEPOT
Any idea why LinkSA need such a big depot in suburbia along way from their routes? Besides northern suburbs School Runs will it run the TTP to Mt Pleasant LinkSA buses too - those buses are currently stored on gravel in the front yard of a private business in Mt Pleasant rather than a depot where they can get cleaned etc.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:34 pm Edinburgh Depot fleet and drivers will go to Elizabeth Depot.( to operate J1,500,502).
There has been no such thing as "Elizabeth Depot" for several years, since that part of the suburb of Elizabeth West was renamed to Edinburgh North. The depot, for the last few years, has been called "Edinburgh North Depot".
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Eagle Eye wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am
jibb wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:34 pm Edinburgh Depot fleet and drivers will go to Elizabeth Depot.( to operate J1,500,502).
There has been no such thing as "Elizabeth Depot" for several years, since that part of the suburb of Elizabeth West was renamed to Edinburgh North. The depot, for the last few years, has been called "Edinburgh North Depot".
If so why does it still appear on Southlink's website as Elizabeth?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

It must be an error. I heard from someone who works there years ago that it is officially called Edinburgh North. I've mentioned this several times.

Even over the radio, you'll hear eg 'Edinburgh North to 1385', not 'Elizabeth'.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

At least once in the new contracts it's referred to as Elizabeth. While technically not in Elizabeth, I don't think calling it Elizabeth depot would cause it to be mistaken for a different depot.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TA3001 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:46 pm It must be an error. I heard from someone who works there years ago that it is officially called Edinburgh North. I've mentioned this several times.

Even over the radio, you'll hear eg 'Edinburgh North to 1385', not 'Elizabeth'.
Pretty sure you wouldn't given 1385 is not a Southlink bus.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

It was purely hypothetical in relation to when the new contracts start.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Skexis wrote: If so why does it still appear on Southlink's website as Elizabeth?
SouthLink never update things.

The 560 timetable still shows it turns right from Playford Bvd to Philip Hwy - that route was changed probably 8-10 years ago.

How long have they had the 222 desto sign that the route number jumps from side to side?

Why do some 720 buses have 9 minutes to travel one stop from B1 to D2 King William Street in the afternoon?
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Probably for the same reason that the Noarlunga train has the same amount of time in peak that it has on a Sunday night.

One size fits all with trains (and train substitutes). Conditions never change at any time of day. Footy crowds from the DPTI's point of view are really just two teenagers wearing a crows guernsey.

I'm surprised that the cheapskates don't just run single carriage sets at all times on every line except for the Seaford line obviously. This would at least enable them to withdraw some of the diesel railcars that are from 1987. Who cares about overcrowding?
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL202 CNG #885

Post by Crispy! »

As of next Tuesday 30th June there will be no more SL202’s left in service so get your photos, recordings and videos between now and then.
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

Well that sucks, I always thought they were good looking buses, the latest ones look like space ships
Attachments
2611.jpg
jibb

Post by jibb »

Crispy! wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:04 pm As of next Tuesday 30th June there will be no more SL202’s left in service so get your photos, recordings and videos between now and then.
Where is the 10 replacement buses?
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

Well they are cutting services aren't they,
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

They are just being replaced by new buses.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”