The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
otto5013
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB -Custom CB80 s.2

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by otto5013 »

Thanks. So for the time being the driver plays an essential part in confirming correct validation.

But it happens on O-Bahn routes where timeliness is of the essence.
That's the way the whole thing started, silly but it's true ...
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Why does bus 1734 have what looks like a cheap-ass homemade pantograph attached?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Midi 1734 was used (by Torrens and Southlink) to check overhead clearances for safe operating conditions for the two double deckers. It had been used out of Mile End and Aldgate depots on an occasional basis for the last 5 years or so (how long has 1790 been in service?) but I don’t think has been moved from its spot in Mile End now for at least 6 months. The overhead structure is about the same height and width as the deckers.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Ah ok, thanks. It was in Franklin St today around 9.30ish. Hadn't seen it before.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

When did AM buses last go to beyond the current Auldana terminus, i recall up until 2000 in the Metroguide that came out yearly that there were one or two routes that went via The Parade then went up to Skye? Why did they stop going to Skye?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

I cannot remember buses ever going to Skye. And isn’t Skye that area carrying on from Kensington Rd, east of Penfold Rd not from the Parade? Incredibly steep hills with very sharp bends: not an area I thought would be accessible for Metro buses.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TA3001 wrote:May I ask, are any of the hills K360UA Scanias governed to 85kph, or can they do 100? I recall 2856 only reaching around 85 on the Southern Expressway in 2014, but I'm curious if it's max speed has been reverted to 100 to allow for this one and others to have more flexibility on the freeway.
I'm surprised it got up to 85 in the first place.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Skexis wrote: I'm surprised it got up to 85 in the first place.
They don't sound as underpowered as the MANs do at this speed.
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

Hello, I have a random question about if there is any possible way to know what routes a certain bus is going to do on a day. I have the app for IOS called ShouldIRun but this only tells me a the bus fleet when the bus starts the route. Hopefully someone can help me out :D
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Often the system won't recognise the fleet number until the bus has started its trip, i.e. if it's the first trip of a shift, or perhaps if a bus has a breakdown then another bus is used to complete the trip, or a trip could be covered by another driver due to late running or other circumstances. In most instances however, once a bus is on the road, the next 2-4 trips would use the same bus number (however many trips are on that driver's piece of work) but I'm not sure if the real time and GPS systems look that far in advance to get the bus number, rather than wait until the driver has entered it into the system at the start of the trip.
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

Hello, I have a very random question. I was just wondering if anyone knows how I can get an application some of you seem to have called 'TransitMix'. I would really like this to draw my fantasy bus routes around Adelaide on that instead of having to use pen and paper. I have tried getting it but on the website it seems there is no way to get it other than scheduling a demo (which I have done and not got a response at all since i requested....a very long time ago. Hopefully someone that has this can help me out, thanks
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Unfortunately the use of transitmix for enthusiasts was discontinued a few years ago. It seems to be only for transport planners/companies who are willing to pay a fee now.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Unrelated to the previous post, but I have noticed that the inbound 'M44' services often tend to sit at stop C TTP for several minutes on end.

The last service from Marion to Golden Grove has 15 minutes from TTP to GG, compared to 17 minutes for some earlier services.

Is there a reason for all this unnecessary time in after hours schedules?

721s also have way too much time from stop 7 South Rd to Flinders. It is a result of stupid timetable design where some time points are too far apart, and the travel time estimates are inaccurate as a result, with zero effort by the DPTI to apply fixes. And why does the N721 (N prefix is totally unnecessary with these services) have 5 minutes from B1 to D2 KW St at 3 in the morning, when the rest of the timetable is fairly tight?

In my opinion, there should be one timepoint in the CBD, with the following/preceding ones placed in the outer perimeter (eg parklands) if they are really necessary. I1 North Tce should be removed, along with C2 KW and D1 which is notorious for causing banking in peak hour. It may help to make these approximate, so that more sensible locations can be used to take out time.
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

N721 is only on a Saturday night after midnight these services are on a very tight schedule due to the fact they want to get passengers home safely ASAP not having to sit at timing points with passengers that have had a few drinks it was designed as a safety to other pax and driver
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

That sounds fairly obvious, but it's a clear indication that there is simply too much excess time in some timetables.

The DPTI obviously doesn't give a toss, and continues to permit all this unnecessary laying over.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Former driver37 wrote:N721 is only on a Saturday night after midnight these services are on a very tight schedule due to the fact they want to get passengers home safely ASAP not having to sit at timing points with passengers that have had a few drinks it was designed as a safety to other pax and driver
Having caught a couple of these buses, the timetable is impossible from the city to Marion. I've even used Google Maps to check out the travel time to Marion (assuming non-stop) at that time of morning, and the time is longer than the actual timetabled time, which is supposed to include time for stopping and dropping off! One time I used my phone's GPS to track the bus and the driver was doing 68km/h along South Rd at Edwardstown. The driver was throwing the bus around corners, bouncing all over the place with each pothole or manhole, and slamming the brakes on approaching stops to try to keep to schedule (and was still 5-6 late at Marion).

I'm not sure how the timings are beyond Marion as I've never travelled further on this bus, but surely setting a schedule that is impossible to keep to theoretically encourages drivers to speed or otherwise drive unsafely. If safety with drunk passengers on board is an issue when stopping at timepoints (which I doubt would be as big an issue as suggested) then surely the timetable should have approximate timepoints so that the driver doesn't have to wait at any, without encouraging them to speed. After all, how many passengers would be catching outbound buses outside of the city at that time on a Sunday morning that the bus would have to adhere to timepoints anyway?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

TA3001 wrote:That sounds fairly obvious, but it's a clear indication that there is simply too much excess time in some timetables.

The DPTI obviously doesn't give a toss, and continues to permit all this unnecessary laying over.
Is it the same trips, at the same time, every day? Speaking to a driver who is a mate of mine, he says that traffic conditions vary a lot from day to day. One day, you might get along South Rd quickly and be 3 or 4 minutes early, the next traffic is a lot heavier with stop-start traffic and you are 5 late and rushing to catch up after this.

How are timetablers supposed to cater for peak traffic volumes which can vary so much?
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I've seen more extreme examples of speeding. Not so much with Southlink drivers, but it's not unheard of. One example is a driver doing almost 80kph along Henley Beach Rd in 842 (now withdrawn) once in an attempt to make up time. It would almost seem like next to no effort is made to actually keep track of obvious consistencies with early/late running. Schedules that are impossible to keep to will push almost any driver to the limit, more so when there's no little to no traffic around.

Some bus drivers just don't get the fact that safety is paramount, and they should respect the law regardless of how late they're running. All they need to do is radio up, explain the reason for the late running, and carry on without speeding/endangering innocent passengers.

It sounds like many of the schedules need a review and complete rework. I know that conditions vary, but the consistent laying over for 5 minutes or longer at Old Reynella in the evening is just ridiculous. Sounds like an imbalance to me.

Having more approximate timepoints is not a bad idea, especially in the outer suburbs. But it does risk occasional unruly behaviour from passengers wishing to board at random stops. I'm not sure how this would work with inbound runs either.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

How many of the ex. Darwin MAN NL202s remain in service with Torrens now?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Six: 1351, 1353, 1354, 1355, 1356, 1357. All based at Camden Park depot
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Any news on the two electrics?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

How did the 173 (Glynde) turn around to commence its citybound runs? And what about those 177 feeders?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I recall seeing a pot hook for the 173 (Glynde) to turn right into Montacute Rd. Looking at a street directory; presumably from Payneham Rd, R Montacute Rd, L Piccadily Cres, L Lower North East Rd, Payneham Rd.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

The Phonj wrote:I recall seeing a pot hook for the 173 (Glynde) to turn right into Montacute Rd. Looking at a street directory; presumably from Payneham Rd, R Montacute Rd, L Piccadily Cres, L Lower North East Rd, Payneham Rd.
Thanks John. From what I recall I saw in the 90s there was pothook signs for 174 but I don't think it ran at the time because 175 (Dernancourt) was the regular service, I take it 174 was an old short working
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Just before stop 18 / 18C Lower North East Rd heading outbound, there is a bus stop that says 'Feeder bus stop'. Would this have related to 173 services terminating at Glynde at some point? Obviously if they were turning around via Montacute Rd, then they wouldn't pass this side of Lower North East Rd, but I wonder what would have used that feeder bus stop previously?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”