Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Former driver37

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Former driver37 »

Thanks TT for clarifying that
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

The Phonj wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 pm 300 without a doubt. Almost three hours to complete, and about 65km.
Does one driver do the whole route or is there a changeover somewhere?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

One driver whole route, sometimes with a trip before or after the 300.
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

Is it me or are there less G10's running along Goodwood road ?
jibb

Post by jibb »

There has been no change to G10 Timetables-refer Adelaide Metro website-July 5th changes for this route was only to show stop renumbering along Goodwood Road.-Same frequency has been in place for quite some time.
Big Engine Mechanic

Okay Thanks must just be me then.
Last edited by Big Engine Mechanic on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Why do our metropolitan trains sway so much? I have never experienced it as bad in Melbourne or Sydney
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
route 228

Post by route 228 »

I thought the Biscuit Number for Mile end Depot was 1*** But sure some Mile End Runs are Now 3***, Any Clues Why?.
Living on the 228 bus run.

Route 228 Smithfield interchange to Victoria Square in the city of Adelaide South Australia.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Mile End Depot has always been 3.
Newton is 1
Port is 2
Morphettville is 6
St Agnes is 7
Edinburgh North is 8.
Former driver37

Does anyone know where Link SA now keep some of there buses that were previously in Southlink Seaford and Lonsdale depot?
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I believe some are at Southlink’s former Pooraka depot
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Former driver37

Yeah some would be there but can't see the ones doing woodcroft college school run or the goolwa/ victor to Adelaide run that leaves colonnades to Goolwa around 7 am come from Pooraka so there must be a depot somewhere down south for them
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Former driver37 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 pm Yeah some would be there but can't see the ones doing woodcroft college school run or the goolwa/ victor to Adelaide run that leaves colonnades to Goolwa around 7 am come from Pooraka so there must be a depot somewhere down south for them
Mount Barker or Aldgate?
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

Anyone aware of if there is a timeline to reopen the front/gunzel seats on buses to passengers? I'm guessing it will be after social distancing requirements are removed.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I would suspect that it will never happen, or at least not for about 5 years.
Big Engine Mechanic

Lieselta wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm Anyone aware of if there is a timeline to reopen the front/gunzel seats on buses to passengers? I'm guessing it will be after social distancing requirements are removed.
TA3001 could be right but I'm guessing December 2021.
If you want to talk to bus drivers maybe talk to them when it's a quiet shift or on a break, with me they just start talking whether I like it or not.
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

I'm not a local down this way but are all the varients of the route 750 really nessercary?
Former driver37

I was travelling along the northern expressway tonight and just before the waterloo cnr turn off there was a heap of ex admet MAN buses parked there in storage who owns that yard and does anyone know why they parked there and not off to Sims?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Former driver37 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 pm I was travelling along the northern expressway tonight and just before the waterloo cnr turn off there was a heap of ex admet MAN buses parked there in storage who owns that yard and does anyone know why they parked there and not off to Sims?
Maybe they are privately Owned now???
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

In line with the attempt in the 2000s to reduce patronage by having trains run express from Dry Creek to Adelaide on weekends at hourly intervals, I was thinking that maybe every second 150 on weekends could run express to and from stop 25 Port Rd to the city (and reverse), from first service to about 7PM.

I'm not sure if this would have a particularly negative effect on patronage. But it would certainly indicate that the current party in office just don't give a toss about PT in general.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

TA3001 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:17 am In line with the attempt in the 2000s to reduce patronage by having trains run express from Dry Creek to Adelaide on weekends at hourly intervals, I was thinking that maybe every second 150 on weekends could run express to and from stop 25 Port Rd to the city (and reverse), from first service to about 7PM.

I'm not sure if this would have a particularly negative effect on patronage. But it would certainly indicate that the current party in office just don't give a toss about PT in general.
This history to this pattern on the Gawler line was trains were hourly on weekends until the early 2000's - the 30 min weekend frequency was then implemented and the traditional :50 past the hour train ex-Adelaide remained an all stopper (excl. North Adelaide) and then the new :23 past the hour train was express to Dry Creek (reflecting the then weekday stopping pattern of Gawler Central trains running express to Dry Creek). A saving of a few minutes was welcomed by those travelling from the further out suburbs.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

It's incredibly stupid and selfish of the transport department. I don't know why the current train subs don't run express between Cavan and the CBD on weekends. Admittedly the trips are a little quicker. But it's still a prehistoric practise just to save 5 minutes.

And what if a passenger wants to alight between Dry Creek and Adelaide when in a hurry?

There is no justification for it whatsoever. Only in SA....
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

It's entirely possible that once electrification is complete, a new Gawler line timetable will be implemented.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

It's not uncommon, on longer lines, to see services from afar run express through some inner suburbs, although, traditionally in this case, there would be a shorter all-stops service or one coming from another line, (e.g. Grange trains to allow Outer Harbors to run express from Woodville) at certain times.

The former Noarlunga line used to run every second train express from Woodlands Park on weekends, and all trains ran express from Goodwood* on weekends, but that changed and now all weekend Seaford trains stop at all stations.

* Belair line trains, which were hourly at the time, serviced the former Keswick Station, but no trains serviced Mile End at night or weekends. As we know now, all trains service both Adelaide Showground and Mile End on weekends, and at half hourly frequencies on each line.
Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

This timetable is okay because it operates more frequent services but later services at night would be beneficial for shift workers at the Hospital. The early morning services arriving at Flinders before 7am, 7 days a week is quite unusual for Adelaide given it is a branch line and lets hope Hospital Workers make good use of it.

Also, hopefully that the Flinders Loop (operated currently by Adelaide Coachlines) continues to run and timetable coodinate with the rail services as well as other Admet Services it is quite a long walk- 700 metres uphill from Flinders Station to Flinders Medical Centre and longer for the Flinders Uni Precinct. Apparently journey times are: 22 minutes in the peak and 24 minutes at other times. Noting every second Seaford train stops all stations from Woodlands Park to the City and vice versa. The ones that operate express from Woodlands Park get into the city 9 minutes quicker but on weekend all Seaford trains are express to Woodlands Park. Oh well i guess they cannot go back to prior to 2009 when trains operated express to Oaklands and then express to Brighton and then all stops to Noarlunga Centre. The Brighton and Tonsley services provided the All stopper milk runs.

The future looks somewhat promising with a Transit Oriented Development proposed by the Flinders Uni I think its touted as a billion dollar development.

However, the downside is that the Liberal's have said all these better Flinders Services are a result of outsourcing the train services- which is simply not true these proposed frequencies were proposed by a previous government when it was assumed it would be government operated.

Oh well the next line that will be improved is Gawler which they are proposing more frequent and faster services. Noting the only way they work out faster for Gawler services is that the EMU's have a much faster acceleration (metres/second) that the Diesel Electrics. As for improved frequencies this can only be done if they either close the inner northern stations (sort of near Go-Zone Churchill Road services and Suburban Connector- Islington Station- well Dry Creek did have a bus service the extension of the 235 or 236 from the Kilburn Churchill Road Terminus)

In Perth there is three main ingredients that make there services fast, well patronized:
1. Stations are presented modern and clean
2. Successsful Bus Feeder services
3. The station spacing between stations is quite high especially on the Mandurah and Clarskon lines (North).

These are my thoughts what do you think?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”