HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Re: Angle Vale Trial Service

Post by The Inspector »

User 5795 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:23 pm Angle Vale Trial Service 461F effective 1998. 461F Elizabeth Station to Angle Vale via Peachey Rd, Smithfield Station, Munno Para Shopping City & Andrews Rd. 461F no set down to Andrews Rd (from Elizabeth), no pick up from Andrews Rd (to Elizabeth). The service was operated by Serco in 1998, i got an old timetable and it had a bus on the front.
The 461F actually began on 15/12/97.

I was one of the first passengers.

Pic is of SERCo 230 about to operate the first service on the 461F.
https://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/di ... ?pid=19813
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Re: HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Post by Crispy! »

Which routes used the
VIA ROUTE A
VIA ROUTE B
VIA ROUTE C
VIA ROUTE D
VIA ROUTE E
VIA ROUTE G
VIA ROUTE H
VIA ROUTE J
VIA ROUTE K
VIA ROUTE L
VIA ROUTE M
VIA ROUTE N
VIA ROUTE P
VIA ROUTE R
VIA ROUTE W
letters?
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Crispy! wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:42 pm Which routes used the
VIA ROUTE A
VIA ROUTE B
VIA ROUTE C
VIA ROUTE D
VIA ROUTE E
VIA ROUTE G
VIA ROUTE H
VIA ROUTE J
VIA ROUTE K
VIA ROUTE L
VIA ROUTE M
VIA ROUTE N
VIA ROUTE P
VIA ROUTE R
VIA ROUTE W
letters?
From memory, some letters could have been used by multiple routes.

I may have some of these wrong, but I will give my memory a shake

VIA ROUTE A - The reverse of 3/258 via Addison Rd
VIA ROUTE B - The reverse of 29J/114 via Bartley Tce, Frederick Rd and Grange Rd
VIA ROUTE C - The reverse of 29H/29L/116 via Crittendon Rd. Also used by 29K/118 when it was extended to Port Adelaide
VIA ROUTE D -
VIA ROUTE E - Was this the reverse of the 26/269 from Glenelg North via Stonehouse Avenue, South Rd and Richmond Rd???
VIA ROUTE G
VIA ROUTE H- reverse of the 32H/168
VIA ROUTE J - Reverse of 28J/138 via First Ave, West Lakes and Sportsman Drive
VIA ROUTE K - Reverse of 28K/139 via Frederick Rd, West Lakes and Military Road
VIA ROUTE L
VIA ROUTE M - Was this the reverse of the 23M/263 via Dunrobin Rd, Brighton Rd and Anzac Highway?
VIA ROUTE N
VIA ROUTE P
VIA ROUTE R
VIA ROUTE W - reverse of 4/259 via Hanson Road

When Paradise Interchange opened and both 281/282 were cut back/extended to terminate there, I am sure that they returned to the city showing Via Route C and Via Route ??

I am not aware, but the current 273 and 174 may have had a "via route" assigned to them as well, once Paradise was open.

I am also sure that the 7C/272 (before it was rerouted and renumbered 271) had a "via route" from TTP

I am also sure that when the 620/630/640/641 (241/243/246/247) were through-routed with the 320/321/322?? (235/236/237) that the buses leaving Marion Shops were assigned "via route" as well.

I lived around Port Adelaide and West Lakes in the 80s so I can remember the "via route" around this area clearly. Hopefully my memory is clear enough!!
Busman
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Royal TigerWorldmaster
Location: Adelaide, home of one of the last AEC bus fleets ordered in the world!

Post by Busman »

The "Via Route A" etc were the most meaningless, confusing and pointless destinations ever created. They replaced suburb names, many of which were outdated either through the suburb changing its name or with the route extended beyond those original suburbs. Commuters knew, for instance, the 26E was Graymore via West Beach Rd and Stonehouse Ave, they didn't need a meaningless "via route W" to tell them that. If the STA wanted to communicate routes, the very best thing they could've done in the pre-dotmatrix days was to leave blinds that read "via WB Rd & Stonehouse Ave."
Westside

Post by Westside »

Busman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:47 am The "Via Route A" etc were the most meaningless, confusing and pointless destinations ever created. They replaced suburb names, many of which were outdated either through the suburb changing its name or with the route extended beyond those original suburbs. Commuters knew, for instance, the 26E was Graymore via West Beach Rd and Stonehouse Ave, they didn't need a meaningless "via route W" to tell them that. If the STA wanted to communicate routes, the very best thing they could've done in the pre-dotmatrix days was to leave blinds that read "via WB Rd & Stonehouse Ave."
The "via route A" business wasn't completely useless but was a terrible way to determine a bus route.

They were mostly important because routes back then didn't change numbers through the city, they simply displayed their final destination when leaving the opposing terminus. Leaving Beaumont or Burnside a bus might display 112 or 113 heading to West Lakes via the city. This was mostly fine when waiting on Glynburn Rd as you knew all buses took the same route to well past the city.

The problem was the other way around where the 112 and 113 both left from the same platform at West Lakes. You would have a bus waiting to depart with route 102 or 105. It took a minute or two reading the timetable to work out if the 105 was going to send you down Military Rd or Frederick Rd only by looking at whether it was via route A or B. That choice may make you late or send you further away from your destination! The same problem while waiting on West Lakes Bvd and seeing a 106 only to see it was via route J (Crittenden Rd).

So glad that palace is behind us!
The good stuff is above!
Busman
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Royal TigerWorldmaster
Location: Adelaide, home of one of the last AEC bus fleets ordered in the world!

Post by Busman »

My point is, commuters didn’t have a clue. Frankly, drivers didn’t either. It was alphabet soup. I recall on the 23/26E -3/4 return, many didn’t bother showing it.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

We're there multiples?

Via route G - (286) Garden Terrace showing on 281/282 city bound from Henley Beach, blanking the Via blind just prior to North Terrace.
Via route H - (287) Hartley Road showing on 281/282 city bound from Henley Beach, blanking the Via blind just prior to North Terrace.

Reverse was 286 or 287 showing Via route A or B (281 or 282) from paradise to city before removing the Via blind to blank for down service just prior to North Terrace.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Tonsley213 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 pm Anyone know the history of route 109?
Do you mean route 106? Funnily enough "109" rings a bell with me for some reason but Google returns nothing.

There has been a plethora of changes in recent years to the buses which go slong Magil Road including 106 (no longer a through route) and former routes 102, 105/104/504 and the now defunct 108. The 108 if I remember rightly ran only late at night, in place of both the 102 and the 105; that was a long trip if - as I did - you were travelling to a stop on the 105 section of the route...

I'm sure others can contribute more worthwhile detail about any of the above routes...
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The 109 was also a "Night, Sunday, Public Holiday" service like the 108 was. From the City via Magill Rd, St. Bernards Rd, Moules Rd, Glen Stuart Rd to the roundabout at the corner of Morialta Rd, U-turn there, then Glen Stuart Rd, Moules Rd, St. Bernards Rd, Church St, Vine St, Magill Rd to the City.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

There's still a 109 pothook at the corner of St Bernards Rd & Church St to this day!
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Fifty years (and a few days) since the last conductors worked on the buses in Adelaide.

Paul.
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Eagle Eye wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:29 pm There's still a 109 pothook at the corner of St Bernards Rd & Church St to this day!
Is it still there?
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”