Electric Buses

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Megumi

Re: Electric Buses

Post by Megumi »

tonyp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 pm
verbatim9 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm The ebusco looks great. It's not the top rated but the overall design and range is impressive.
That video is a very limited American perspective, not based on a sound knowledge base nor reflecting the reality of the international market as some of the comments note. Not the "top ten" by any means.
So which products do you think is missing from that video?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Megumi wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 pm
So which products do you think is missing from that video?
The comments under the video draw attention to a number of European models that have been presumably bypassed in an appraisal, not to mention buses from other manufacturers elsewhere like Australia. I would be comfortable if the video was titled something like ten random examples of electric buses. Making out that it is the "top ten" in a numerical order implies that some rigorous comparison testing has been done, which it obviously hasn't. There are so many competing factors to weigh up, as with any product. Most of the commentary is a reading of manufacturers' publicity blurbs, some of which I'm familiar with. Just another Youtube entertainment video!
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

tonyp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:44 pm The comments under the video draw attention to a number of European models that have been presumably bypassed in an appraisal, not to mention buses from other manufacturers elsewhere like Australia. I would be comfortable if the video was titled something like ten random examples of electric buses. Making out that it is the "top ten" in a numerical order implies that some rigorous comparison testing has been done, which it obviously hasn't. There are so many competing factors to weigh up, as with any product. Most of the commentary is a reading of manufacturers' publicity blurbs, some of which I'm familiar with. Just another Youtube entertainment video!
A top 10 e bus list from America that ventures to take in what is happening in other parts of the world says that the person that composed the list worked overtime to do research as Americans are good at talking themselves up about everything witch there was only 1 entry of a e bus from America that is only available in the US and Canada
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

I trialled the electric bus on route 40 today @ 14:55 Monday August, 23. Bus E6001

Pros - Quiet rideImage, Very cleanImage, adjustable ventsImage, no diesel or other fuel emissions Image, bus only 1/3 fullImage, Bus driver fully enclosed in driver cab.

Cons - Late running Image, exterior display read 'not in service'' on approachImage, internal PID out of orderImage, reduced legroom on all seatsImage, cross bar above centre door leading to reduced clearance when entering and exit the vehicle,Image airflow and ventilation poor onboard,Image driver change over on Alice street took over 5 minsImage, driver was not able to log on leading to alarms beepingImage, bus still displayed 'not in service' after completing the loopImage, as well as PID being 'not in service'Image, Low floor - front section of the bus onlyImage, rear door boarding only despite bus driver being fully enclosed and not needing to interact with passengers.Image

Overall rating 5.5 out of 10.
ImageImage
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

That perspex cab looks like it'll be an absolute NUISANCE at night, if not very dangerous.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Merc1107 wrote:That perspex cab looks like it'll be an absolute NUISANCE at night, if not very dangerous.
Apparently the union advocated for such a solution in regards to driver cabs being fully enclosed.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

They wanted small perspex spit guards in Perth. The advocates subsequently refused to drive the buses citing issues with reflections.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I suspect that this solution in Brisbane was triggered by the terrible incident where a driver was killed by being set alight. The Perth cages wouldn't even be a barrier against spitting, let alone that. It's not an easy call admittedly and there's growing use of cameras to assist driver's views as a result. The Ebusco bus coming to Australia uses all cameras and no mirrors, something that's also been common on many trams and trains for some years.
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

Hoonibrook Buslines had confirmed to get 16 new Bustech electric bus for North Lakes depots.

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/93031
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

superbossgc wrote:Hoonibrook Buslines had confirmed to get 16 new Bustech electric bus for North Lakes depots.

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/93031
Image Sounds good
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

verbatim9 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:19 pm I trialled the electric bus on route 40 today @ 14:55 Monday August, 23. Bus E6001

Pros - Quiet rideImage, Very cleanImage, adjustable ventsImage, no diesel or other fuel emissions Image, bus only 1/3 fullImage, Bus driver fully enclosed in driver cab.

Cons - Late running Image, exterior display read 'not in service'' on approachImage, internal PID out of orderImage, reduced legroom on all seatsImage, cross bar above centre door leading to reduced clearance when entering and exit the vehicle,Image airflow and ventilation poor onboard,Image driver change over on Alice street took over 5 minsImage, driver was not able to log on leading to alarms beepingImage, bus still displayed 'not in service' after completing the loopImage, as well as PID being 'not in service'Image, Low floor - front section of the bus onlyImage, rear door boarding only despite bus driver being fully enclosed and not needing to interact with passengers.Image

ImageImage
Good review, however, seems every dislike points come from the passenger management system rather than the bus itself. So, can I say the bus is good but the BT is not doing a great job?
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Megumi wrote:
verbatim9 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:19 pm I trialled the electric bus on route 40 today @ 14:55 Monday August, 23. Bus E6001

ImageImage
Good review, however, seems every dislike points come from the passenger management system rather than the bus itself. So, can I say the bus is good but the BT is not doing a great job?
Thanks, while I didn't really give a review on the bus mechanics and performance. I can rightly state that the score is from first impressions and first ride basis. If the PID was working and the driver change over was quick I would of given it a 6.5 out of 10.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

verbatim9 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:30 pm
Megumi wrote:
Thanks, while I didn't really give a review on the bus mechanics and performance. I can rightly state that the score is from first impressions and first ride basis. If the PID was working and the driver change over was quick I would of given it a 6.5 out of 10.
Since I have ridden many electric buses in Singapore, I'd like to remind you that many electric buses may have a much different ride-comfort experience which you'd probably have to spend some time to get along with it.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Moreton Daily---> State’s first all-electric bus depot rolls in to North Lakes
North Lakes will be home to Queensland’s first 100 percent electric bus depot as the State Government super-charges its plan to deliver more zero-emission vehicles.

The government has announced it will build 16 new electric buses on the Gold Coast under a $15.6 million deal with Keolis Downer.

In an Australian first, the all-electric bus depot, using 100 per cent renewable energy, will be based at Hornibrook Bus Lines at North Lakes.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey says the deal signed will play an important part in Queensland’s Covid-19 economic recovery plan.

“This deal will see the largest rollout of electric buses in Queensland to date,” Mr Bailey says.

“The Palaszczuk Government has made a commitment that by 2025 every new urban bus we add to the fleet in SEQ will be zero-emissions, by 2030 we’ll roll that out to the rest of the urban fleet.

“This agreement gives us a good head start because the first bus is due to arrive at Hornibrook’s North Lakes depot by the end of next year.”

Cleaner buses
North Lakes Electric Buses Hornibrook Bus Lines Green Bus Moreton Bay Region
Deputy Premier and Member for Murrumba Steven Miles says the agreement is a win for local commuters.

“Hornibrook Bus Lines runs bus services through our northern suburbs like North Lakes, Chermside, Mango Hill, Kallangur and Sandgate, so I can’t wait to see these quieter and cleaner vehicles on our roads,” Mr Miles says.

“The investment to make the North Lakes depot fully electric and build these buses on the Gold Coast is expected to support 150 jobs over the next two years.

“It’s also expected to bring more than $17 million of estimated value into the economy for local suppliers, contractors, which is the kind of investment we need right now.”

Zero emissions
North Lakes Electric Buses Hornibrook Bus Lines Green Bus Charging Moreton Bay Region
Member for Bancroft Chris Whiting congratulated Keolis Downer, which owns Hornibrook Bus Lines, on the zero-emissions initiative.

“Reducing emissions in our transport sector is a major challenge, and we can only be successful through partnerships between government and industry like this one,” Mr Whiting says.

“Once completed, Hornibrook’s North Lakes depot will no longer house diesel buses and will be home to the 16 new electric buses exclusively.

“That will save 13,846 tons of carbon emissions over the life of the buses.”

Key services
Member for Kurwongbah Shane King welcomes electric vehicles moving people around his electorate.

“Hornibrook Bus Lines delivers key services to Petrie Station and the surrounding areas, and I can’t wait to see them go electric,” Mr King says.

“When passengers jump on these buses for the first time next year, they’ll be helping to improve the environment, while getting a cleaner, smoother ride.”

Keolis Downer CEO David Franks says it is a significant moment for the business in Queensland.

Proud partnership
“We are proud to be partnering with the Queensland Government to transition our North Lakes depot to 100 per cent battery electric buses,” Mr Franks says.

“This means the depot will be using 100 per cent renewable energy to power a fleet of electric buses, making it a first in Australia, and cementing Keolis Downer’s commitment to accelerate the energy transition with large-scale deployments in public transport.”

The first bus is due to arrive at North Lakes in September 2022, ahead of all 16 being ready for service by late 2023.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Megumi wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:02 am
Since I have ridden many electric buses in Singapore, I'd like to remind you that many electric buses may have a much different ride-comfort experience which you'd probably have to spend some time to get along with it.
Having ridden a lot of electric buses in Europe, I can say that there's a significant difference in internal noise from the motor across different bus models. Some are almost as noisy as a diesel inside, though all are pretty silent on the outside. Generally, internal noise has been improved over the years, the worst today in my experience being BYDs. In terms of ride comfort, this is the same as with any bus. Some have better suspension than others and ultimately it depends on the quality of the roads that the bus has to traverse. In other areas of design, again it's like any bus, depending on the competence of the manufacturer. Yutong suffers from poor seat pitch from trying to cram too many seats in a shorter internal space. Any bus with a high floor and steps in the internal gangway is an anachronism, as a high floor is completely unnecessary in an electric bus.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Couriermail --> Bus builder Volgren to boost workers at Brisbane factory $
Australia’s largest bus builder plans to double its Queensland workforce as it taps growing demand for electric vehicles.

Melbourne-based Volgren, which has built Brisbane City Council’s fleet of buses for more than a decade, will lift the number of employees at its Eagle Farm factory to close to 100 as it positions itself as a manufacturer of e-buses.

The commitment by Volgren follows a period of uncertainty for the company after it delivered its final bus to Brisbane City Council this year under a long-standing contract that will now be the subject of a competitive tender.

The company is expected to take part in the tender that will incorporate zero emission options, such as electric and hydrogen technology.

Founded in 1977 as a joint venture between Sweden’s Volvo and Melbourne busline Grenda, the company became a subsidiary of Brazil’s Marcopolo in 2012.

Volgren chief executive Thiago Deiro said the investment in the Queensland factory would secure the future of 45 staff and a local supply chain of more than 20 local businesses. ...
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

It's good that Volgren is accelerating its electric bus manufacturing capabilities.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

verbatim9 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:49 pm It's good that Volgren is accelerating its electric bus manufacturing capabilities.
Volgren is only a bodybuilder, they can build on any sort of chassis. Different from a bus builder like Custom Denning or Bustech that build an integral complete bus - chassis, powertrain and body together - as well as bodies on other chassis. This is about Volgren getting new work to keep Eagle Farm going and the big growth area is electric buses. They should be able to body electric buses at any of their factories.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

I caught the electric bus again the other day, Route 40. This time the PID was working, as well as the A/C Image

I took the following videos

Firstly going down Wharf St and Eagle St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9F4ihU7jYjdTo54z9

Secondly up Alice St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LWBfnoWs3vFrJ9zs7

Thirdly George Street near Queen St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nP96YsXuiydGToz7A

The videos are meant to demonstrate the workings of the PID mostly.

Highlights

-Female voiceover

-Indicates points of interests

-Indicates the stop, as well as other services to transfer to and the perspective waiting times for that transfer service ImageImage
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The Volvo BZL electric chassis has been formally released today. This is the bus that Volgren is bodying for Perth.

https://www.busaustralia.com/forum/view ... 7#p1082477
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Iif Brisbane took an order of those Volvo ebuses in the mix? , They could.utlise the new overhead charging infrastructure, which is currently being installed for Metro.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

verbatim9 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 pm Iif Brisbane took an order of those Volvo ebuses in the mix? , They could.utlise the new overhead charging infrastructure, which is currently being installed for Metro.

A 12 metre electric bus wouldn't need opportunity charging if it's running a typical 200-400 km per day. The Hesses need it because they're twice as big > more weight to move along.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

tonyp wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:28 am The Volvo BZL electric chassis has been formally released today. This is the bus that Volgren is bodying for Perth.

https://www.busaustralia.com/forum/view ... 7#p1082477
Excellent! Finally, it's there.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Electric buses coming to the Spring Hill Loop.

Grace Grace FB--->https://www.facebook.com/10005026279902 ... tid=6aamW6

Sent from my moto g(50) 5G using Tapatalk

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”