Major weekend track closure - Southern lines

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Westside

Major weekend track closure - Southern lines

Post by Westside »

Track closure for all southern lines next weekend.

https://translink.com.au/service-updates/231291

My question is, where does one go for more information about the substitute buses? Ie a map, route description or a timetable would be great. The lady at Central said there would be buses leaving central at the same time as the train would leave, but then no more info on which train that would link up to. The website says the bus substitutes leave from Roma St and says to leave an extra hour for the journey! On the weekend are there likely to be express buses between central and Yeerongpilly or is it going to take the scenic route and 90 minutes to get there!?

I’m heading to Gold Coast first thing in the morning and I don’t really want the journey to take 3 hours. Does anyone have any more info from past experience that would be more useful than TransLink? I was thinking I’d play it safe and catch a 140 or 130 to Altandi and pick up the train from there. Is this an ok option?

Cheers
The good stuff is above!
paulbrown3

Re: Major weekend track closure - Southern lines

Post by paulbrown3 »

Usually they will say in the notice if there will be timetabled buses and there will be a pdf on the Line page https://jp.translink.com.au/plan-your-j ... coast-line
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Sadly, there are no timetabled buses for this rail closure. It has been pushed strongly by some advocacy groups for years, with reward for effort only coming to light just this year I believe. For some reason, they aren't timetabling all line closures in these early stages but I would hope they will do all in the very near future because it is just such a guessing game to travel during these times (as you and many other frustrated commuters are experiencing).

I was down in Sydney in Feb when timetabled replacement buses ran along the North Shore Line every 7.5 mins and most were still running full from Gordon or Killara to Chatswood.

Anyway, back to the question, your best bet is to drive :lol: . Second best option, just go to Central (or your closest GC Line station) and jump on a rail bus to the GC (ask for the quickest one first of course) then just hope for the best. You don't want to be standing around at a railbus stop at Altandi or somewhere else with no assistance, waiting obliviously for the next bus (whenever one should come). I'd assume a GC bound bus would only stop at Altandi and Loganlea between Park Rd and Beenleigh stops like usual but don't quote me on that.

There have been previous reports of some people's journeys taking upwards of 3 hours to travel from Ormeau to Central by bus so I do wish you good luck!
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

I remember once during a previous similar shutdown, myself and an ATDB admin turned up at Roma Street for a replacement bus a few minutes before when the hourly Saturday evening train to Varsity Lakes normally departed at, and were picked up shortly after by an express bus to Yeerongpilly. Along with a full bus load of passengers, we were dropped off there with a 55 minute wait until the next train to the Gold Coast.

:twisted:

At least since then the evening service frequency has been increased to half hourly, but don't be surprised if you end up spending 28 minutes sitting on Yeerongpilly Station! Personally I'd agree that boarding at Altandi would be a good option.
Westside

Post by Westside »

Cool, thanks for the suggestions!

At least the Altandi option is timetabled, so there is a level of reassurance assuming the GC trains still run to timetable for the VL to Yeerongpilly section. And the 140/130s still run every 15 mins on weekends and seem pretty fast, so that's not a terrible option.

Cazza, the railbus is only between Yeerongpilly and the city, so I'm hoping to meet an actual train at Altandi.
The good stuff is above!
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Westside wrote:Cazza, the railbus is only between Yeerongpilly and the city, so I'm hoping to meet an actual train at Altandi.
Yeah I did miss that vital bit of information. I just assmued it was a full Roma St to VL shutdown. My bad. :lol:

In that case (as BG said), the 130/140 to Altandi and transfer onto a train would be the best option because the trains should be running to timetable between Yeerongpilly and VL. I find that this is a somewhat better option for me even when the trains are running because it's a fairly similar travel time, there's a same platform transfer between the 130/40 and my other bus home at the Cultural Centre and I just love cruising down the busway at 90 clicks.

Anyway, have fun.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”