Brisbane Metro

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

tonyp

Re: Brisbane Metro

Post by tonyp »

Cazza wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:23 pm They are talking about artics in this case.
Thanks, so it's artics (calling a spade a spade)!
^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Post by ^^__^^ »

daveeyh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 pm
Do you know which terminus is the problem with HCV for the Blue Glider?
Both ends present different challenges.

Teneriffe is smaller than UQ Lakes but there will be a similar (maybe slightly less lol) frequency of bus movements into that area over a given time, add in the 199 and its a very busy space. So whether the terminus moves out of that location or the 199 moves to service another spot in the area remains to be seen.
West End, similar issue. Another concern is the size of the bus stops along the route and if passengers can safely be set down etc. around the West End area.
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

So I assume well see a fair few artics go E, as it seems like the perfect place to put them - large and plenty of routes that artics could service. Will certainly be instresting!
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

I am still very skeptical about the need for artics on the Blue Glider - before COVID, whenever I saw a full Blue Glider, the next one or two (which often would be a minute behind) would be near empty - I think TfB looked at the number of full Blue Gliders to make the decision to use artics rather than looking at the average patronage of all peak hour Blue Gliders.
The major issue with the Blue Glider, in my opinion, was keeping to timetable, not capacity.
I couldn't count the number of times I have seen no Blue Gliders for 15 minutes through the Cultural Centre in evening peak and then three or four arrive within two minutes - I remember one instance where CC Platform 2 had four Blue Gliders at the same time.
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Hi all a Translink liveried bus bodied by Global Bus Ventures is on the move making its way to the ports of Auckland this morning.
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Some interesting detailed information on the Hess buses for the metro from the Hungarian bus portal Magyarbusz (google translated):

https://magyarbusz.info/2021/02/20/iden ... llanybusz/
The first double-articulated Hess Lightram to Australia is expected this year
Author: Patthy Gellért
Date: February 20, 2021

If all goes according to plan, Hess will deliver a total of 60 of LighTram’s 25 fantasy double-hinge models to Brisbane on Australia’s east coast. For the time being, the Swiss bus manufacturer has presented an export to the third most populous city in the land of kangaroos in an animation created jointly with the local government, from which the first working prototype is planned to be made this year.

Together with the agglomeration of Brisbane, with a population of nearly 2.5 million, the largest transport development project in recent years is the construction of a locally zero-emission “road metro” funded by the Australian government, with local government playing a key role in connecting the city center and suburbs. Consistently referred to as the subway, the concept of bus lanes isolated from other road users (but sometimes shared with other bus services) is most comparable to the GRT systems prevalent in South America. The network, which is 21 kilometers long and consists of two lines (M1 and M2 respectively) and 18 stations, will be served by double-articulated electric buses, which will run with three-minute tracking 24 hours a day. The project, launched in 2016, was first announced in 2017 when the feasibility study was published, and at the end of 2019 it was also decided that the vehicles of the future network would be delivered by Hess, Switzerland, with the help of Volgren, home to the Australian market. Incidentally, the two companies have been cooperating for more than four decades, as both bus manufacturers are building their buses with Co-Bolt technology developed by the Swiss, using bolted aluminum profiles.

For now, the double hinge of the Hess is gliding on the roads of Brisbane only at the level of visual designs

So far, the manufacturer himself has distributed relatively little concrete information about the 24.4-meter-long, purely electric double-joint, but the ordering municipality is proving to be much more communicative about the requirements to be met by vehicles. This means, among other things, that buses will be 2550 mm wide, as is customary in Europe (Australian regulations now only allow a width of 2500 mm by default), 150 passengers in normal passenger conditions and 170 passengers in peak periods, and with a closed cab. and will have at least three full-width double-leaf service doors (in addition, according to the visual designs, an additional single-leaf door will be located in front of the A-axis). For the convenience of the traveling public, on-board WiFi and USB charging points for charging mobile devices will be provided, as well as a large, panoramic rear windshield, which Hess's notoriously expensive top model is just a coincidence.

The B and C axles of bulky vehicles will be driven by permanent magnet synchronous motors, and the D unit will be steered like the front chassis for satisfactory maneuverability relative to the dimensions of the bus. The CCS 2 plug-in charging option will also be available at the vehicle depot, but all-day trouble-free operation is guaranteed primarily by the six-minute lightning charge with the TOSA system provided at the terminals. The charging infrastructure is supplied by ABB.

European testing of the prototype is scheduled to begin later this year, followed by running tests already on the streets of Brisbane, expected from 2022 onwards. If this is successful, the city has the option to call out the remaining 59 cars from the contract. The commissioning of the “metro network” in Brisbane is planned for the second half of 2023, subject to type approvals and other permits.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Council is pushing for the underground station at the Cultural Centre in line with a successful Olympic bid. Metro services running end of 2023 (Brisbane Times 2021).

Brisbane Times, 2021. https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 581fl.html
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Brisbane Times----> Final Brisbane Metro vehicle design revealed ahead of 2022 pilot launch
The pilot Brisbane Metro vehicle will include a raft of changes to boost accessibility and commuter comfort in a south-east Queensland climate, including more priority seating, upgraded window tinting and airconditioning, after testing in virtual reality and on a life-size timber model.

Revealing the final design for the first of 60 articulated and electric buses underpinning the council’s flagship $1.2 billion high-frequency transport program, to be announced on Friday, lord mayor Adrian Schrinner said the vehicles would be the first of their kind in Australia.
ImageImage
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

verbatim9 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:23 pm Brisbane Times----> Final Brisbane Metro vehicle design revealed ahead of 2022 pilot launch
The pilot Brisbane Metro vehicle will include a raft of changes to boost accessibility and commuter comfort in a south-east Queensland climate, including more priority seating, upgraded window tinting and airconditioning, after testing in virtual reality and on a life-size timber model.

Revealing the final design for the first of 60 articulated and electric buses underpinning the council’s flagship $1.2 billion high-frequency transport program, to be announced on Friday, lord mayor Adrian Schrinner said the vehicles would be the first of their kind in Australia.
ImageImage
The interior looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on regular buses.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Leaked documents have revealed that the cost of the Brisbane Metro project is running over by millions of dollars, but the LNP council won't disclose exactly how much. @TimArvier9 #9News https://t.co/H4ABTRynxU

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/sta ... 6490463233
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Megumi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm The interior looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on regular buses.
This bus won't be legal to run on ordinary roads. It can only run on the busways.
verbatim9 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:17 pm Leaked documents have revealed that the cost of the Brisbane Metro project is running over by millions of dollars, but the LNP council won't disclose exactly how much. @TimArvier9 #9News https://t.co/H4ABTRynxU

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/sta ... 6490463233
Do I take it that the prototype bus is costing $12 million? A bus model that already exists and has been running in various cities for 15 years. Sure it needs some tweaking for RHD Australian market - but $10 or so million worth of tweaking? Somebody's being taken for a ride and it ain't on a bus.
zto305

Post by zto305 »

Will there be only metro on the busway and all other routes terminate in local stations?
1|2|D|N|R
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Key routes (such as the 130/150/169 etc.) are assumed to still run in conjunction with the metro, with the opportunity to have more buses put into more frequent feeder routes (such as the 161 or 178). However, given past bus network planning by BCC and that no real service plans or network planning has been released, for all we know, Routes 66, 111 and 160 could all still be running alongside the metro :mrgreen:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 pm
Megumi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm The interior looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on regular buses.
This bus won't be legal to run on ordinary roads. It can only run on the busways.
How does the interiors affect where the bus can run?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:21 am
Megumi said that he looked forward to seeing them on regular bus routes, presumably meaning on the roads.
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

The width of the vehicle is 2.55m, whereas regulations have a maximum width of 2.5m (without special permits etc. I'd assume). This was one of the issues with the Citaro trialled up here a few years ago.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Cazza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:12 pm The width of the vehicle is 2.55m, whereas regulations have a maximum width of 2.5m (without special permits etc. I'd assume). This was one of the issues with the Citaro trialled up here a few years ago.
Also with this Hess, the length of the vehicle and maybe even axle load.
zto305

Post by zto305 »

Cazza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 am Key routes (such as the 130/150/169 etc.) are assumed to still run in conjunction with the metro, with the opportunity to have more buses put into more frequent feeder routes (such as the 161 or 178). However, given past bus network planning by BCC and that no real service plans or network planning has been released, for all we know, Routes 66, 111 and 160 could all still be running alongside the metro :mrgreen:
If they keep these routes I couldn't imagine how the busway can handle all with metro running every 3 minutes :wink:
1|2|D|N|R
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

It's what economists call "full employment" :mrgreen:
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

tonyp wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:36 pm
boronia wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:21 am
Megumi said that he looked forward to seeing them on regular bus routes, presumably meaning on the roads.
No, I just hope more regular Volgren buses can upgrade their interior designs, such as the seat style, to the modern European trend.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

zto305 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:41 am
If they keep these routes I couldn't imagine how the busway can handle all with metro running every 3 minutes :wink:
Without introducing all-door loading and an adequate (double-)door-to-length ratio on the regular buses, they're going to run into a problem of regular buses interfering with the "metro" bus operation with the differing dwell times. The double artics will exchange passengers quite quickly, so they won't be at stops for long. Not really an operation to share smoothly with two-door, front door loading buses with single-leaf centre door.

In Europe where buses and trams share the same stops, they have mutli-door, all-door loading, fully low floor buses like these exactly for this reason:

trolleynowires2.jpg
Warsaw.jpg
Warsaw.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 3588 times

The Brisbane double-artics are basically the same functionally as a 24 metre tram.

Megumi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 pm
No, I just hope more regular Volgren buses can upgrade their interior designs, such as the seat style, to the modern European trend.
Sorry, I didn't realise you were just talking about the interior. Volgren can do an interior like this. It's the customer who specifies the seating and interior.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Looks like the test vehicle is still on track for this year.
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

Brisbane Times--->Brisbane’s convict past unearthed during busway excavations
A convict-era bounty has been unearthed beneath Adelaide Street, in one of Brisbane’s most significant historical finds.
The team working on the Brisbane Metro busway project has discovered a convict-era hospital, as well as the stairs, walls and foundations of an early penal colony building, plus bottles and coins from the early 19th century.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”