Real time coming to all services in 2015

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Re: Real time coming to all services in 2015

Post by ^^__^^ »

I think the only way to fix the holding stand issue would be to train the drivers not to start the trip on the DCU until they are actually starting the trip...

The scheduled service will probably appear when the system has no data from a bus to run off, so, in the event of a mechanical failure or something it still shows on the screens even if the bus isn't running. Which is a bit silly. Why inform customers a bus should be running if it isn't? :S
BestFriendHasLeprosy
Favourite Vehicle: LCBS Bustech

Post by BestFriendHasLeprosy »

Some services showing as scheduled time has been happening for over three years. It's just how the system works; sometimes the on board system isn't working for what reason and it has no real-time data. The service is still running, it just doesn't show when. So you presume it'll turn up, like the "olden days".

It's not "silly" at all. The bus is still running. What would be silly is if they DIDN'T show it, and it turned up any way.
^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Post by ^^__^^ »

Ehh. Would save a lot of complaints from passengers is all I'm saying, if you get a surprise service you're happy, if it says one is supposed to turn up and it doesn't, you're let down and peeved off. I'd prefer to have a surprise service show up rather than one that is 'scheduled' appear on the board and say one is coming when it isn't running at all. IMHO of course. :)
simonl

Post by simonl »

There is a definite irritation with getting to the stop and a scheduled service not being on the real time. Isn't there a designator for schedule info only?
James00
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Post by James00 »

Work in progress, "Fleet Tracker". Not useful in any way for the general public, more so for just for interest sake..Currently I have it set up for westside but can be adapted for other companies with a bit more work. Currently only an "offline" version, but I plan to tranisition it to the web at some stage.
Attachments
fleettracker.png
742_VST

Post by 742_VST »

Looks good!
Blade
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Post by Blade »

WOW! That looks awesome!!
It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it. - Aung San Suu Kyi
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Reminds me a bit of the TramTracker app in Melbourne - great if you want to find a particular unit in service (e.g. finding where BT 1595 is as I am yet to see it on the road).

Would be great as an app.
ggm
Favourite Vehicle: AEC routemaster

Post by ggm »

Temporarily moved to Amsterdam (5months) and using two tracker apps: OVinfo and "9292" -and they work perfectly. Colour coded indication of next tram, and if its overdue. Bus scheduling and routing. (I might add the same info is there for the national and local rail, but its not well integrated at the app level despite the ticketing being a ubiquitous RFID card across all PT nationwide here in the Netherlands. one flat ticketing system for 17m people border to border. just works)

Once you have reliable positioning, there is no doubt the community can benefit from it. -I live on the corner of two tram routes and can select from an E-W or a N-S to get to the city, but have to cross lights to switch. Having an app reliably tell me which one is next due makes planning far simpler.

If the times of arrival at the hub points and intermediate stops gets sufficiently accurate we can actually USE this information in brissie, I'd be overjoyed

So from a city with a few years of this kind of vehicle/time tracking and socialized apps, I say "bring it on"
BestFriendHasLeprosy

That looks great. Keep us update on progress on that, I'd love to see more/other companies.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

The screens at RBWH are still not connected to the real-time system - the displays bear no resemblance to the arriving buses nor the TransLink app.
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Does anyone know if and when this Real Time Thing is ever going to run? Moreton
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Huh? You mean the thing that's been up and running for everything except QR for over a month?
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

BestFriendHasLeprosy wrote:Huh? You mean the thing that's been up and running for everything except QR for over a month?
I think he is referring to my comment that the monitors at busway stations don't seem to be linked into real-time - you shouldn't have to look at the mobile app when standing at a busway station to get real-time information.

The inbound platform at RBWH was as bad as ever this morning - buses on the monitor and buses arriving at the platform just didn't match.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Ah, well in that case, probably never. The real time is designed for the website and application use, not designed for any on board or stop signage. Of course you shouldn't have to, but it's the same reason platform two at Garden City omits most of the services that go through there.
ggm
Favourite Vehicle: AEC routemaster

Post by ggm »

Don't get me wrong: I think you're right, the real-time thing hasn't been designed to be a feed to the at-platform signage.

But as a computer scientist, I'm a bit appalled. Even if it was just a whispersync style 2G modem, it would be trivial to hook each sign to a small device with a radio feed and poll the service for location.

This is a low-cost missed opportunity. Its really short sighted.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

The Cultural Centre displays are hooked into the real-time system so there obviously is a way to hook on-platform signs into the real-time system.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

daveeyh wrote:The Cultural Centre displays are hooked into the real-time system so there obviously is a way to hook on-platform signs into the real-time system.
The Cultural Centre displays are new and were designed and installed with that purpose in mind.
moreton
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Thanks guys, I was confused somewhat have been away on holidays for a few weeks, so the random boards at the Hospital RBWH, are just for decoration, as I sat there last week, sign said 330 due in 2 minutes, there was one sitting at front of the platform and as people approached it, it took off, it also said 375 due, then a 379 came but not mentioned on the board. I asked a guy with one of them magic smartphones what was coming next, he said he was waiting for a 310, but only 3 empty 66's arrived then a 333, so I suppose not much has changed. At least when the buses ran on the outside of Hospital you could see the desto of each bus coming down the hill you could pick out your service, while they waited for the lights to change. So much for fancy new age computers heh? Moreton
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

I noted this afternoon that the display on the inbound platform at Upper Mount Gravatt station (Garden City) showed routes 555 and 299 (i.e. non-BT services).

Both services were listed twice on the display so there is still some work to do to get it right.
James00

Post by James00 »

Some data from Qld Rail is showing up in the Real Time feed this afternoon.

Not quite sure how to interpret their fleet numbers, the vehicle ID's I'm getting are as follows:

11X1
UB41
TP63
1FX3
1B39
TP55
TL15

Route ID's showing as

EXBD
EXCA
EXNA
BRBR
PRT 065
Favourite Vehicle: Guess ?

Post by PRT 065 »

Those Vehicle IDs look line the train service numbers used for train control purposes instead of the fleet numbers.

as the First Number of the Train Number indicates the train type: (Eg 1 is a 6 Car EMU / SMU Set , J is a 3 Car EmU / SUM , T Is a 6 Car IMU , U is a 3 Car IMU , X Is a ICE )
Regards,
PRT 065

If you have any issues with the Queensland section, please send me a private message.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

2 digit is the destination and the 3rd and 4th are sequential numbers indicating a up or down train. (Down trains are odd numbers so 01, 03, 05 etc.. and up are even 02, 04, 06 etc..). Third character in the train number can also indicate special comditions/services.

http://www.qrig.org/safeworking/train-numbering-guide
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Those route IDs match exactly with what you see on the Translink Journey Planner.
If you look at the translink "data portal" and download the South East Queensland zip file then read the routes.txt file its obvious what all the codes are.
BD is Brisbane Domestic
BN is Beenleigh
BR is Brisbane City (Central)
CA is Caboolture
CL is Cleveland
DB is Doomben
EX is Exhibition
FG is Ferny Grove
GY is Gympie North
IP is Ipswitch
NA is Nambor
RW is Rosewood
SH is Shorncliffe
SP is Springfield
VL is Varsity Lakes
moreton

Post by moreton »

Spotted a guy hanging new boards up at Toombul Bus Station last week, don't know if info is real or the old ones showed an approximate time. Moreton. :wink:

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”