Life expectancy of BT B10Ls

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

daveeyh

Re: Life expectancy of BT B10Ls

Post by daveeyh »

TransitBris wrote:There was heaps of lemons sitting in the outside lanes near the V Scania's at Sherwood when I went past on Sunday so I presume those lemons are dead. Can't see the numbers from a distance but I presume they are most of the Sherwood allocated ones. Sherwood appear to be lending most of their few remaining Lemons to South West Transit too.
The same seems to be happening at Eagle Farm - V Scanias, lemons (593 was the one I could see) and Metroliners in the back lanes near the Manheim Auctions site.

Do these buses that are parked at the back of depots for long periods actually get driven regularly around the block so that they are available for service if they are needed in an emergency? Some of the V Scanias (e.g. 715, 718) have been non-operational for over a year.

Last time I went past Richlands Depot, 550 (the bus that wanted some Indian food at South Brisbane) was parked out the back - I would have thought it would have been written off by now.

Maybe, the lemons are being kept in case there are some election sweeteners in the next 12 months leading up to the next state election to improve service frequency...
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

I have heard through the grapevine all the buses parked at the moment are being kept in good running order (except 550) for an event happening later this year.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
L433

Post by L433 »

Which ever Party decided to Privatise the BCC Transport Fleet would be voted out at the next Election State or Council. Hence why the State Government backed down from the Brisbane Transport review. Selling land and replacing Trams to Buses is totally different to giving up the reigns of the BCC Fleet.

noticed that the B10L Saftey Bus has been at Carina lately.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Maladjusted wrote:I have heard through the grapevine all the buses parked at the moment are being kept in good running order (except 550) for an event happening later this year.
I find it a bit difficult to understand why low-floor accessible buses are parked whilst the high-floor Metroliners are in revenue service - I would have thought TransLink and BT would want as many accessible buses in service. This is particularly relevant to services in the northern suburbs as all the BT high floors are concentrated at Virginia and Eagle Farm (and the recent transfers of low-floor B7s across the river to Sherwood) meaning that a significant percentage of Toombul and Chermside services are currently high-floor.
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Some one told me theres only about 6 x b10ls left in service, at present in Brisbane, so get ready if you want some, most have or are making their way to southern pastures. Some are bringing good price at auctions, up to $30k for a good one with a few years of life left. Moreton :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
Colhad75
Favourite Vehicle: BustechVSTs and Metros

Post by Colhad75 »

Well, E565 is now in QUT AOA as seen in Albert St yesterday. 580 was doing 391 services as well yesterday, just wondering the whereabouts of 581?
Volvo B10M mk3, Volvo B10M mk4, Bustech

Buses of Brisbane and Outer Suburbs.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buses-of ... 8485219749
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

The Manheim site has units 581, 582, 583, 593 and 595 for auction on 09.04.2014.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

No matter how troublesome they might be, seems to be a bit "interesting" they are withdrawing these when more B10M's are still in service
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Simes wrote:No matter how troublesome they might be, seems to be a bit "interesting" they are withdrawing these when more B10M's are still in service
Definitely interesting as it doesn't promote the accessible public transport message by continuing with high floor buses whilst removing low floor buses.

With all the non-leased B10Ms at Eagle Farm and Virginia Depots, there is quite a significant percentage of Toombul and Chermside services that are operated as high-floor buses making some services less than accessible and increasing boarding times as elderly passengers and passengers with prams have to deal with a high floor bus.

Also interesting that the newer B10Ls are being withdrawn - 595 is only 14 years old...
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

The fact they made no attempt to hang onto 40 perfectly good Mercs was rather telling as well. Other operators seem to have no trouble with smaller fleet elements, and 40 buses is hardly what I would call "small" by any means.
Elvis has left the building!
moreton
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

The fact they made no attempt to hang onto 40 perfectly good Mercs was rather telling as well. Other operators seem to have no trouble with smaller fleet elements, and 40 buses is hardly what I would call "small" by any means.
As you stated 08 XDi, the Mercs were some of the 1st lease arrangements for BT, as with any lease agreement you pay so much per month/year for a certain period of time and at the end of the term you either buy out that vehicle or it goes back to the lessor and they dispose of it as they see fit. BT did not have a reserve of spares for the Mercs. If you have a lot of similar model/makes of vehicles in a fleet you can soon build up a good stock of spares for your fleet and you get good discounts for bulk buys of items and can save lots of $$$$ over the life of that vehicle.
If you have not already realised that the bean counters are in charge of the running some businesses, so economics plays a big part in buying/ leasing new equipment.
If I lease 1000 x Volvo B7s all with same engines, drivetrains, interiors, etc, against 40 mercs which will give me the best out come at the end of lease period = $$$$$ saved.
Keeping fleets standardised over the long run has a big cost factor. Having a mismatched fleet is ok if you like chasing spares, keeps people employed chasing spares.
Spares for a large fleet are much easier to organise, and keep on the road. The mighty $$$$ will always win. Moreton :wink:
racingnathan
Favourite Vehicle: BT Volvo B12BLE and B7RLE

Post by racingnathan »

Not to mention the Merc's did spend a bit of time in the garage, the mechanic's used to joke about the Merc's keeping them in a job.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

The Mercedes are only 1 example of low floor vehicles being gone early. Does anyone here remember Ansair Orana (delivered at the same time as B10L) MAN 10-155? They too were leased and were gone "early".
When you look back through the sands of time, a lot of vehicles were sold around the 15 years mark in the sixties and 70's.

Volvo B10M was a basic though reliable bus which unfortunately was a high floor as well, and unfortunately are quickly reaching their use by date.

In case you haven't been watching, Brisbane Transport has experienced exponential growth just in the last 10 years, from 2005 with a fleet of around 734 to now with over 1200. To increase the fleet number by that much an operator not only has to add to the fleet but increase the number to replace the removed ones ( almost like a 2 for 1 deal)
to mention the Merc's did spend a bit of time in the garage, the mechanic's used to joke about the Merc's keeping them in a job.
Funny that is my name on another forum though now I'm thinking of adding
thoughnotnearasmuchasMAN.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

L433 wrote:Which ever Party decided to Privatise the BCC Transport Fleet would be voted out at the next Election State or Council. Hence why the State Government backed down from the Brisbane Transport review. Selling land and replacing Trams to Buses is totally different to giving up the reigns of the BCC Fleet.
Competitive tendering is now proceeding for all SEQ operators and the successful operators are due to commence services during September 2015. Here's hoping they keep their bottle this time and go through with it.

Separate thread will no doubt be created shortly once there is more material to discuss.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

I'm not certain this is correct for TransLink funded vehicles. I expect it is correct for government funded schoolbuses based on the funding topup arrangements. There will of course be a large number of operator-owned vehicles not covered by any requirement to give them to the government or the new operators.

Most of the Brisbane Transport fleet is leased to the Council, as are the 3 depots most recently constructed. The leases would simply be assigned to the new operator. They certainly are not going to want to hold onto nearly 1,000 buses and the hard infrastructure on their balance sheet which cannot legally be used.

As with Sydney, there will of course be issues until the fleet is entirely State controlled. Eventually we will arrive at a situation like Perth's where this has now been achieved and there is a fleet which has standard aspects of presentation and interior / exterior features SEQ wide.
simonl

Post by simonl »

08 XDi wrote:Most of the Brisbane Transport fleet is leased to the Council, as are the 3 depots most recently constructed. The leases would simply be assigned to the new operator. They certainly are not going to want to hold onto nearly 1,000 buses and the h ard infrastructure on their balance sheet which cannot legally be used.
I thought Sherwood was built on land the council already owned, or is that not correct?

Why on earth would the state agree to a depot at Eagle Farm replacing one at Bowen Hills? I don't see the logic of that move at all.
L433

Post by L433 »

08 XDi wrote:
L433 wrote:Which ever Party decided to Privatise the BCC Transport Fleet would be voted out at the next Election State or Council. Hence why the State Government backed down from the Brisbane Transport review. Selling land and replacing Trams to Buses is totally different to giving up the reigns of the BCC Fleet.
Competitive tendering is now proceeding for all SEQ operators and the successful operators are due to commence services during September 2015. Here's hoping they keep their bottle this time and go through with it.

Separate thread will no doubt be created shortly once there is more material to discuss.

Translink couldn't change a few bus routes in Brisbane, due to the political backlash from the Brisbane Public. This is easily forgotten by people. If the State Government announces that they are going to privatise the BCC Bus Fleet before the next State Election, there won't be 1 sitting State LNP Member left in Brisbane.Why would Newman who at the moment will be very lucky to keep his own seat in Ashgrove at the next election, want even more voter backlash? It would be Political suicide.

A new thread definitely is needed.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

L433 wrote:If the State Government announces that they are going to privatise the BCC Bus Fleet before the next State Election, there won't be 1 sitting State LNP Member left in Brisbane.Why would Newman who at the moment will be very lucky to keep his own seat in Ashgrove at the next election, want even more voter backlash? It would be Political suicide.
This is:

(a) wishful thinking at best; and
(b) even if people actually care that much who the operator is, not taking into account that the election will already have been held and determined by the time this will have happened.

Events in the next few days will prove interesting.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I'm very surprised this has been floated in the shadow of an election.

I'm delighted though. Bt, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

:roll: Are we going to have another 15months till Sept 2015 of arguements on how or why the States largest operator, who also as a Local Government authority is the only financial supporter of a Bus Service in not just only their area, but caters for residents of other local authorities in outer lying areas as well, should just give up almost 100 years of work.
Contestibility will be open for all operators and can be a viable option for all, however we shall just all have to wait and see how it will pan out on a reasonably level playing field.

There have been a lot of people keen to take-over BTs operation and before that the Dept of Transport. National are one name that springs to mind - where are they now? Seem to have been taken over several times since or at least name changes and usually for whose benefit?
Not the customers, its usually the Shareholders. Its like either having money in the Bank or shares in it? i know which one returns better!

BY THE WAY THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD IS ABOUT B10Ls 4 MORE WILL BE AT THE NEXT AUCTION.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

543, 556, 566, 570 and 576 are on the Manheim site for auction.
moreton

Post by moreton »

Only leaves 565, 594, 596, doing UQ and 591 left so don't leave your last ride to long...Moreton :wink:
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

591 is currently looking pretty shaky
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

moreton wrote:Only leaves 565, 594, 596, doing UQ and 591 left so don't leave your last ride to long...Moreton :wink:
Not quite - I saw S544, S559 and S588 all in service today.
BestFriendHasLeprosy
Favourite Vehicle: LCBS Bustech

Post by BestFriendHasLeprosy »

Yeah, S588 and 571 in service this afternoon at Garden City.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”