Toyota Coasters:all models.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Toyota Coasters:all models.

Post by Denv12 »

If there's one coach that rarely gets mentioned here is the Toyota Coaster.Or any year model coaster for that matter.So,I'm starting up a topic. I have only driven the models prior to 1982 and the Executives after 1982.As for the Executives,they are a great coach.Luxury in a small vehicle.Great for local touring.I drove one that was painted in Across Australia Coachlines livery in 1985.I had it on a day tour through the Adelaide hills all day.Passengers loved it and I enjoyed it too.One the best coaches (the Executive,that is)I had ever driven.

The toyota is a great vehicle no matter what versions they are.

You are welcome to post any year model Toyota Coaster photos her,interior photos too.Whatever you can add here from photos,documents,etc its all welcome.Even motorhome conversions.
Attachments
1960s Toyota Coaster,ex Riverside Bus Serice,Murray Bridge.Photo taken on Bower Road Semaphore South opposite the old Fort Glanville Caravan Park entrance.Notice other vehicles in the photo.
1960s Toyota Coaster,ex Riverside Bus Serice,Murray Bridge.Photo taken on Bower Road Semaphore South opposite the old Fort Glanville Caravan Park entrance.Notice other vehicles in the photo.
1IMG - Copy - Copy - Copy (506 x 482).jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
Coaster on the Nullabor,1982.
Coaster on the Nullabor,1982.
5.98 (384 x 283).jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
Last edited by Denv12 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Toyota Coasters:all models.

Post by boronia »

The Executives were well finished ( a proper "coach" - carpets, carpeted side walls, reclining seats) and a pleasure to drive. The 4 cyl engine lost it a bit on hills, even harder if you were towing a trailer (although the fold down back seat gave good luggage space if you only had a few pax on board). In the days before tachographs, they would happily sit on 115 on the flat bits; had some very quick runs back empty from Canberra in the early hours of the morning. Pity they didn't make the 6 cylinder model in this config,
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

boronia wrote:The Executives were well finished ( a proper "coach" - carpets, carpeted side walls, reclining seats) and a pleasure to drive. The 4 cyl engine lost it a bit on hills, even harder if you were towing a trailer (although the fold down back seat gave good luggage space if you only had a few pax on board). In the days before tachographs, they would happily sit on 115 on the flat bits; had some very quick runs back empty from Canberra in the early hours of the morning. Pity they didn't make the 6 cylinder model in this config,
Thanks boronia.They were the Rolls-Royce of the mini buses.Its a shame they didnt have a comprehensive dash and the 6cyl engine.They could have been a big seller.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Calling the earlier model Coasters "coaches" is being a bit optimistic. At best they were utilitarian buses. Even the standard version of the 1983+ models left a bit to be desired in terms of finish and comfort.

The only subsequent mini-coach which comes near them would be the top-spec Hino RB145 Rainbows.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

boronia wrote:Calling the earlier model Coasters "coaches" is being a bit optimistic. At best they were utilitarian buses. Even the standard version of the 1983+ models left a bit to be desired in terms of finish and comfort.

The only subsequent mini-coach which comes near them would be the top-spec Hino RB145 Rainbows.
The 1982 model onwards-the Executive,passengers loved them.They thought they were in a coach.I agree with that opinion.I wouldnt call other versions a coach.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

I've posted this image in the Rex Law / Redline thread, but thought it wouldn't be out of place here.
This unit was a great little work horse, being the typical 'transfers' and sometimes 'overload' day tour stand-in.
Pictured here at the Redline Terminal in Bourke Street, Melbourne.
Attachments
Redline Coaster - No 87J.jpg
Redline Coaster - No 87J.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 10016 times
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Looselion wrote:I've posted this image in the Rex Law / Redline thread, but thought it wouldn't be out of place here.
This unit was a great little work horse, being the typical 'transfers' and sometimes 'overload' day tour stand-in.
Pictured here at the Redline Terminal in Bourke Street, Melbourne.
Thats a great photo.Its about the same vintage as the one I added.These bring back a lot of memories.The old fold down seats in the aisle were a treat.Thanks for sharing.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

God - the Coaster is the workhorse of many a bus/coach fleet! Langley's Dubbo have 10 Coasters ranging from the latest box on wheels to the older shape round fronts
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”