MTT - Hinos, Leylands & Volvos

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

MTT - Hinos, Leylands & Volvos

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

MTT - SB Bedford - Hino BT51 - Leyland National & Volvo B58s
MTT - SB Bedford / Freighter (SA) - Hino BT51 / Freighter (Tas) - Leyland Nationals (kit form) - Volvo B58 / CAC Mk.I & II

Tas Bus Nut

Re: MTT - Hinos, Leylands & Volvos

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

Great memories! Thanks for posting Neil. I just can't seem to get enthused about the modern vehicles like I did about the old stuff. My interest waned after the N113's.

The workshops shots were Mornington I presume? I fondly remember a TTMS excursion to the Mornington workshops in the ?? late 1980's?? when the scenes featured above were taken for granted and the rapid fleet changes were still in the future. In past years, bus fleets lasted a lot longer than the disposable fleets that seem to be the order of the day now.
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

The usual place of residence for a National, in the workshop :lol:
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
danielb

Post by danielb »

Ahh, awesome work Neil! Its wasn't long ago I had asked about the tow truck and there it is. :)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:Ahh, awesome work Neil! Its wasn't long ago I had asked about the tow truck and there it is. :)
Although it looks a little like a tow-truck, this Volvo F86 is in fact ONLY the tyre vehicle. It was used on occassions to push the buses too, but didn't have the capacity to actually tow them (AFAIK). A PROPER tow-tuck was used for towing a stricken vehicle.
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:...Although it looks a little like a tow-truck, this Volvo F86 is in fact ONLY the tyre vehicle...

Back in the day, MTT (WA)/Transperth also had an SWB F86, but this was actually used as a ballast-style tow truck, along side an SWB Scania P82M of same/similar configuaration. The only truck (not bus, that's a different matter) that was used as a tyre vehicle was an LWB Scania P82M, officially 'stores lorry'.

Images courtesy of perthbus.info; images as credited:

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
Busnut704
Favourite Vehicle: B10M VOLVO ARTIC

Post by Busnut704 »

did they ever use to have two way radios fitted in them buses as years ago id imagine they would'nt have them but what would you have to do if you need police asssitance??? Ny the way very intresting pics of hobart old days :)
Busnut704
VOLVO B10M ARE THE BEST!
yoda

Post by yoda »

Busnut704 wrote:did they ever use to have two way radios fitted in them buses as years ago id imagine they would'nt have them
They certainly did.
danielb

Post by danielb »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
danielb wrote:Ahh, awesome work Neil! Its wasn't long ago I had asked about the tow truck and there it is. :)
Although it looks a little like a tow-truck, this Volvo F86 is in fact ONLY the tyre vehicle. It was used on occassions to push the buses too, but didn't have the capacity to actually tow them (AFAIK). A PROPER tow-tuck was used for towing a stricken vehicle.
Ah yes, I think we have discussed this in another thread. As tbc1983 eluded too, a ballast setup. If my memory is correct(highly questionable :lol: ), it was smithfield with a mechanic driving, a large industrial square steel pipe about 2 metres long and then the tyre truck. If you look at the smithfield photos, there is a flat tow point just under the drivers side above the front bumper that this square section could easily attach too with a decent sized pin system.

Do you have any pics of the back of the truck to see if it has a mounting point - I'm curious now. :)
danielb

Post by danielb »

Also I love the safety factor of the Hino up of the dodgy jack stands in picture 3- a hand full of bogans would easily push that over :lol:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

ryde depot in sydney sta used to have the same volvo tow truck then it was given to the bus museum don't know if they still have it! :)
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Busnut704 wrote:did they ever use to have two way radios fitted in them buses as years ago id imagine they would'nt have them but what would you have to do if you need police asssitance??? Ny the way very intresting pics of hobart old days :)
I'd imagine police assistance would not have been required nearly as much as it is today... lol
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”