1GRL423: The Only B8RLE Orange School Bus

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Zidanehartono

1GRL423: The Only B8RLE Orange School Bus

Post by Zidanehartono »

Transperth's Volvo in Volgren buses can be easily found everywhere within the Perth Metropolitan Area, but this particular type seem interesting as it's not a Volgren but being the only type with a different bodywork.

I'm hoping that this photo topic will be a hub for sightings of 1GRL423, the only B8RLE in Perth with an Express Coach Builders bodywork, one door and the orange school bus paintwork.

Although that i had wished to photograph the dashboard and interior, here's 1GRL423 while at Hartfield Park in Forrestfield on 17/10/2019.

I have seen pics on perthbus.info but i created this topic for future sightings of this bus, so please share the pics here.
Squiddy

Re: 1GRL423: The Only B8RLE Orange School Bus

Post by Squiddy »

Zidanehartono wrote:Transperth's Volvo in Volgren buses can be easily found everywhere within the Perth Metropolitan Area, but this particular type seem interesting as it's not a Volgren but being the only type with a different bodywork.

I'm hoping that this photo topic will be a hub for sightings of 1GRL423, the only B8RLE in Perth with an Express Coach Builders bodywork, one door and the orange school bus paintwork.

I have seen pics on perthbus.info but i created this topic for future sightings of this bus, so please share the pics here.
~~I am not sure if it is the only one of these. A couple months ago in the Volvo workshop in Welshpool I saw another express-bodied OSB without plates, so I think there are at least two around.~~

EDIT: I recently came across a horrible photo of the above mentioned OSB I took in Welshpool, and turns out it doesn't have an Express body. Disregard the above, my apologies.

If you or anyone else wants a reliable way to spot this bus, it has a pretty reliable school run in Rockingham most days, it runs empty Westbound on Rae Rd around 2:30pm and then comes back the other way full of kids about 20 minutes later. Saw it on this route literally yesterday
Last edited by Squiddy on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

It has a pretty reliable school run in Rockingham most days, it runs empty Westbound on Rae Rd around 2:30pm and then comes back the other way full of kids about 20 minutes later. Saw it on this route literally yesterday
Hopefully i'll be out in Rockingham on these Fridays because i get to leave the term in Week 5 so i can observe my Friday prayer and before the summer holidays fades in soon.

Do you know its exact starting/ending point in the mormings and afternoons (Eg. At what Transperth bus stop by stop number or corner of what roads meet together) Ben?
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Zidanehartono wrote:
It has a pretty reliable school run in Rockingham most days, it runs empty Westbound on Rae Rd around 2:30pm and then comes back the other way full of kids about 20 minutes later. Saw it on this route literally yesterday
Hopefully i'll be out in Rockingham on these Fridays because i get to leave the term in Week 5 so i can observe my Friday prayer and before the summer holidays fades in soon.

Do you know its exact starting/ending point in the mormings and afternoons (Eg. At what Transperth bus stop by stop number or corner of what roads meet together) Ben?
I have no idea whatsoever, all I know is I see it heading down Rae Rd from Ennis Ave most afternoons and see it heading back not long after. I don't even know which school it goes to

Edit: A photo I took of it on Rae Rd back in May
Attachments
1GRL423 2019.05.09 RaeRd.jpg
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Looks like either a BCI body or King Long

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Leyland B21 wrote:Looks like either a BCI body or King Long.
Heh, i was thinking the same thing too when i saw HW's BCI looking similar to this a few days ago somewhere on Welshpool Road.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

It's design may be similar to that of either, however, as noted in the first post of this thread (and quite sometime prior in the local observations), it is Express-bodied.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

All I know is I see it heading down Rae Rd from Ennis Ave most afternoons and see it heading back not long after. I don't even know which school it goes to.
It looks like that it might've headed to/from Malibu School as indicated that you saw it at those times and place, I'm sure that it has the same home time as my school which is 2:50PM.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

I've been informed by Mr Obsessed that this bus can be found parked somewhere along Dixon Road in Rockingham when off-duty.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Zidanehartono wrote:I've been informed by Mr Obsessed that this bus can be found parked somewhere along Dixon Road in Rockingham when off-duty.
Yep, but I prefer to get photos 'in action' so I never sought it out down there. Good hunting!
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

For those who want to see some other pics of this bus, i finally got some pics in the dash and interior since the last time i saw it at Hartfield Park in Forrestfield for an interschool soccer carnival a month ago.

Since this is an actual school bus, 2x2 coach style seating with seat-belts is implemented along with safety harnesses for those on mobility devices and also a child check alarm is equipped (I realise this when the driver turned on the electrical system). Despite the TfNSW-style decals at the wheelchair bays, there are no tip-up seats but IMO there is much room for more prams than a regular Transperth bus.

The dashboard is identical to an Endura but it has its own multiplex computer system although the additional A/C control and Volvo-style buttons is added too for other functions such as anti-skid and kneeling.

Now can someone plan out an enthusiast tour consisting of B8RLE's including this one and Transperth's newer ones?

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I must say, it's a good-looking bus! Only thing is, those steps do look fairly daunting from the picture compared to the Volgrens.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Bus Suggestions wrote:I must say, it's a good-looking bus! Only thing is, those steps do look fairly daunting from the picture compared to the Volgrens.
It is a good looking bus but IMO not as streamlined looking as the Volgren Optimus where its corners are curved out top to bottom and left to right. Also not to mentioned the lack of grab holes and hard to reach hand-straps on this one, so it's not for the normal passenger use with standing room and rather made to be used as a school bus.

If anyone has a pic of this bus elsewhere (Other than the places covered), then feel free to post it here.
sylar

Post by sylar »

Seating capacity looks fairly lacking, perimeter flip up seats would have been a good idea for the front half of the bus.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

sylar wrote:Seating capacity looks fairly lacking, perimeter flip up seats would have been a good idea for the front half of the bus.
If you can count, there's seats for 25 people at the back but keep in mind that this bus is normally used for a special needs school run. I think that the tip-up seats weren't added because of that and it needed some space to allow more room for students on mobility devices.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

sylar wrote:Seating capacity looks fairly lacking, perimeter flip up seats would have been a good idea for the front half of the bus.
Why so? It's clearly been built for special needs kids. 21 seats plus four dedicated wheelchair bays is plenty enough
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

On the topic, this afternoon I happened to see it on Council Ave in Rockingham a little later than usual and well... it happens to the best of us :lol: :cry:
DSC_5892.jpg
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Squiddy wrote:I happened to see it on Council Ave in Rockingham a little later than usual and well... it happens to the best of us.
Hmm, i saw it on Rae Road earlier than expected (About 2:15PM) last week while i was coming back from Friday prayer.

At least it will still make its way via Read Street TBH.
sylar

Post by sylar »

Squiddy wrote:
Why so? It's clearly been built for special needs kids. 21 seats plus four dedicated wheelchair bays is plenty enough

Ahh fair enough i thought it was just another run of the mill orange school bus, didn't realize it was built for special needs/mobility impaired school runs..... makes sense with the Malibu special needs school in the area.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Can't exactly be another 'run of the mill orange school bus', when A: it's a low entry bus, and B: the only known B8 school bus in WA.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Now if anyone interested, i went out hunting on 1GRL423 in the school day afternoons and here's the route that it would take (From my view):

To Malibu
*I'm not too sure but it's actual nest might be next to the Sound Business Equipment & Stationery store or anywhere around those areas where it departs before proceeding onto:
Dixon Road
Ennis Avenue
Rae Road
Read Street
Malibu Road

It departs at 2:50PM from there and takes these route shown below.

From Malibu (Afternoon School Run)
Georgetown Drive
Acapulco Road
Rae Road
Ennis Avenue
Council Avenue
*Unsure about the remaining route, Squiddy or anyone else may help with this one.

For the dead run to the school, i recommend that you be at Rae Road at about between 2:20PM and 2:30PM.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

The bus is specifically designed for a special needs wheel chair run, with walk on passengers also on the service. It does the same run every day and is NOT licensed for charter, therefore it doesn't need any additional seats.

See https://perthbus.info/report.php?vid=1CQB760# for an example of a TOST School Coach spec wheelchair bus.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Here's 1GRL423 at Dixon Road in Rockingham, while on its way to do the school run yesterday.
1GRL423 at Dixon Road,Rockingham
1GRL423 at Dixon Road,Rockingham
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

Zidanehartono wrote:For those who want to see some other pics of this bus, i finally got some pics in the dash and interior since the last time i saw it at Hartfield Park in Forrestfield for an interschool soccer carnival a month ago.

Since this is an actual school bus, 2x2 coach style seating with seat-belts is implemented along with safety harnesses for those on mobility devices and also a child check alarm is equipped (I realise this when the driver turned on the electrical system). Despite the TfNSW-style decals at the wheelchair bays, there are no tip-up seats but IMO there is much room for more prams than a regular Transperth bus.

The dashboard is identical to an Endura but it has its own multiplex computer system although the additional A/C control and Volvo-style buttons is added too for other functions such as anti-skid and kneeling.

Now can someone plan out an enthusiast tour consisting of B8RLE's including this one and Transperth's newer ones?

yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Here's 1GRL423 parked at the the Truck Centre in Kewdale, after undergoing some routine maintenance during the summer school holiday.

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”