CDC: The Edgeworth Graveyard

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

CDC: The Edgeworth Graveyard

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It appears in the last year or so that the Edgeworth bus depot has been made the Graveyard for all withdrawn buses from Hunter Valley Buses, Coastal Liner and even Qcity in Queanbeyan. sometime back I had some spare time and it's been really high up on my list to see where some of our previous beloved or disliked buses have ended up at so I took a visit to the one and only graveyard to just see what was on display.

I'd like to state that the photos were not taken on Depot grounds, rather on public grounds outside the depot & at no point did I enter the bus depot, let me make that clear to save you from typing up nasty messages. I have a long lens for my DSLR so I was able to see some distance.

First up we have supposed 2626 MO, a Former Coastal Liner bus that according to the ATDB Fleetlist is reported to be the first Volvo B7R in Australia all the way back from 1997. Looks like it's being used for parts as the rear engine bay cover is resting against the side of the bus

Next we have some former Buses from Qcity Transit, 1 Hino BD190F P&D and two MAN 12.220's with a Custom Coaches CB30 body. ex 7556 MO appears to be being used for parts as it's missing it's front bumper bodywork. The former registrations for these buses were;
4535 MO for the Hino P&D,
7554 MO & 7556 MO for the two MANs.

The Hungarian Csepel made it here to the Graveyard shortly after withdrawal from Thornton and were not generally liked among enthusiasts for their own various reasons, I guess they'll be happy to find out their never likely to see another day on the road and will likely be used for parts or sold off & scrapped.

The 3 units pictured is;
Csepel 844.19 CC CB50 4691 MO
Csepel 844.19 CC CB50 3659 MO
Csepel 844.19 CC "510" 3658 MO

Another Csepel was withdrawn back in March of this year but never made it to the Edgeworth graveyard, it's last reported whereabouts was out at the back on the Thornton CDC depot and it was ex 4696 MO, a rare Csepel 844.31 chassis with the custom coaches CB60 body combination.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view some of my recent photos, hope you enjoy my little mini submission on some of these buses in the afterlife.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Centralian

Re: CDC: The Edgeworth Graveyard

Post by Centralian »

In the absence of a 'thank you' notification option on the new set up, I'll say thanks ScaniaGranda for sharing these images.
Not somewhere I get up to very often, so have enjoyed seeing what's 'in stock' around the property.
Do you know if the Hino BD190 P&D ever saw service in the Hunter or was retired in Queanbeyan and sent off to the Edgeworth graveyard ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Awesome shots ScaniaGrenda, nice to see what buses are leaving us sometimes. If you put a CB30 and a CB50 side-by-side, you'd easily see the similarities (with CB50 basically just being a high-floor CB30). I wonder if anyone else has pictures of the Edgeworth graveyard...
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

@Centralian, I can't say yes or no to your question as I don't have the answer to that but my guess is the Hino reached their end of life and was retired and sent straight to Edgeworth and never operated school services but if you have a look at one of my photos listed on Bus Interchange one former QCity Transit bus did do some Rail replacement work last year shortly before withdrawal

Still with QCity branding but Edgeworth accreditation at the time of taking the picture
http://www.businterchange.com/busint/open.cgi?id=6636

@Bus Suggestions I do see where your coming from, I think correctly me if I'm wrong the first CB50's came out in 2001 or 2002 and the CB30's came out in late 2000. It's always been a trait of Custom to have the front of the low-floors match the high floors & vice versa. I feel with the latest Volgren range has Volgren started to do the same.

One of the Former DBL Volvo Ansair Oranas was retired but I couldn't see it from out the front when I visited unless it was behind all the others.

Also when I get the chance too, I have a photo of the ex Coastal Liner Isuzu of some sort next to a PMC 160 bus, just thought I'd get the mostly exciting stuff out the way first.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
MO9205
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz OH 1316

Post by MO9205 »

There are some great old buses parked up. Shame to see them just get pulled apart.
Wishing Howards would paint ex 9205 into their livery and get her back on the road.... drool....
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

The 12.220 MANs I really liked but you can't find those on route service anymore since the ex Stationlinks replaced some older buses. They now spend the remainder of their time on school routes and if their lucky private charters. Those 12.220s would really make for some nice private shuttle buses as their lowfloor and don't take up a lot of space.

As for the Csepel, I never got to ride on the "510" that is pictured but I've definitely ridden on one of the two CB50 bodied ones back in my school days, unfortunately I have no recollection of events so I can't comment on it. A fact for yous is that I think back in March this year possibly earlier I spotted both CB50 bodied Csepels doing Train replacement in Newcastle which is out of the blue as they never ever saw time on Rail replacement down here but they were standby units. Maybe when I can get around to it I might post the photos I have of them as the standby units
EXBUSDRIVER1

Post by EXBUSDRIVER1 »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a selling website for these buses are they selling or just using edgie as a dumping ground?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

As far as I know Edgeworth is a dumping ground and still may well be. This thread is a couple of months old now and I haven't really had the opportunity to take another visit back and check progress or if any of the buses have been moved on.

Approaching the operator first is the ideal scenario however they may not be willing to sell to the general public, I know this because months ago I tried approaching another one of their depots for parts but they declined to sell them to me and said to try another operator who then said they wouldn't give individual parts and that they were only selling their withdrawn buses but it was worth a try I guess. Maybe it might also help if you have a contact there? who knows.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

I'm pleased to say the final 3 Csepel's 4691, 4697 and 7588 will be heading to Edgeworth if they're not already there to be added to the graveyard. Good riddance
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Yeah just seem them as withdrawn on the fleet-list, end of an era for them.

I actually saw the last CB60 Csepel last week heading back from Maitland towards the Thornton yard I assume. and 4692 was parked facing the front of the depot the other week with it's registration still fitted to it. Had a feeling they were going "soon" anyway given It wasn't too long ago I looked all of their regos up and other similar makes had already commenced withdrawal.

Both former 4698 MO and 4696 look set to continue being used as who knows what exactly and possibly training buses? Last time I was able to get a good view of former 4698 before 4696 blocked getting a good view, it's side emergency exit window was smashed with the hammer hanging down so looks like the yard guys had been doing something to it, or it's used as a back yard bus to train staff on safety? I don't know but anyones guess is as good as mine.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

2 Bonus photos, taken the same day I took the submitted photos above, just really never got around to uploading them until now. Not sure if these buses are still there or not. Probably not going to be able to take another visit any time soon.

Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

I believe they're using 4696/98 for Parts ie: Seats or Electrics. Love the fresh photos you've supplied. It looks like Hino Buses in that second picture but can't recall which depot the were withdrawn from but an curious to see how much space they've got left not that the graveyard is surely getting full by now.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

In the last photo (one with the CL Isuzu) I can't recall what the fleet number is for the PMC bus nor the one next to it but the bus to the right of the CL bus should be former 7825 MO, use to operate a Grammar school run full time up until withdrawal, it's replacement was a MAN 12.220 CB30 for a bit and the last time I saw it it was being operated by one of the "510" bodied buses in TNSW livery.

Not sure if you know but I've had people ask before if any Qcity buses made their way into service with other depots instead of being withdrawan and sent to Edgeworth, I know for a fact 9155 MO is one of those buses and still retains it's Qcity livery tho it doesn't feature "CDC NSW" branding on the top right of the bus or of course the Qcity logo (nor last I saw it does it feature the HVB Logo either). 8017 MO was another bus that for a short while was part in service with Edgeworth and retained it's Qcity branding (even logo) however was later withdrawn. There is a picture I linked way above of the Qcity 8017 MO bus.

Not sure of any other Qcity buses that still made it into service with other Depots instead of being withdrawn.

I'd like to see what the graveyard is like now given it's been a couple of months but as I said above, I don't really see myself returning anytime soon as I'm full on with a lot of other things. It was just a spare of the moment thing I was even able to head up the day I took the photos in the first place.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

The TFNSW CC 510 Body you'll be talking about that's on that run is none other than 7596 MO ex Singleton. Even though I've moved away from the area, I'd definitely like to get down there one day to see what its like.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Benny95 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:06 pm The TFNSW CC 510 Body you'll be talking about that's on that run is none other than 7596 MO ex Singleton. Even though I've moved away from the area, I'd definitely like to get down there one day to see what its like.
If I didn't look 7596 MO up on the fleet lists I would of passed ex m/o 7158 off as ex m/o 7164 witch was one one of the five CDC air conditioned O405 CC 510s to be leased to Busabout from 2014 until about 2 or 3 years ago
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Two O405NH CC "550's" at the Edgeworth Graveyard yesterday, one canary yellow, other TransportNSW, don't have Fleet No's unfortunately but Edgeworth has never operated these O405NH's and they were parked in the part of the yard where the end of life / retired buses are.

I believe they still had their registration plates on them but worth doing a check to see if any come up as having been cancelled. The TransportNSW Benz had "SPECIAL" on the destination while the canary yellow one was facing the other way so no idea what it was displaying.

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the Costal Liner B10M Austral's (the ex BCC one) was also stored in the graveyard, likely to be 2633 MO, still had the costal liner livery on it.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Filled with 1990s classics. That yellow livery sucks the soul out of them though.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:07 pm Two O405NH CC "550's" at the Edgeworth Graveyard yesterday, one canary yellow, other TransportNSW, don't have Fleet No's unfortunately but Edgeworth has never operated these O405NH's and they were parked in the part of the yard where the end of life / retired buses are.

I believe they still had their registration plates on them but worth doing a check to see if any come up as having been cancelled. The TransportNSW Benz had "SPECIAL" on the destination while the canary yellow one was facing the other way so no idea what it was displaying.

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the Costal Liner B10M Austral's (the ex BCC one) was also stored in the graveyard, likely to be 2633 MO, still had the costal liner livery on it.
That graveyard seems quite full again. Be curious to know what is there etc

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”