Shellharbour Junction railway station

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
abesty

Shellharbour Junction railway station

Post by abesty »

Some photos of construction of Shell Cove railway station (or will they call it Flinders or something else?).

Platforms:
ImageImage

Carpark?

Construction site entrance:

I think this road will be the entrance to the station:

More photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/abesty92/ ... 165540694/
Seven Billion Stations and Counting
TheLoneGunMan
Favourite Vehicle: My Motorhome

Re: Shell Cove railway station

Post by TheLoneGunMan »

Hi All,

I heard from a reliable source that it will be known as Shellcove Junction as NSW Train Link didn't get permission to use the Shellcove name for the station.

TLGM
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

TheLoneGunMan wrote:Hi All,

I heard from a reliable source that it will be known as Shellcove Junction as NSW Train Link didn't get permission to use the Shellcove name for the station.

TLGM
So the junction for the Melbourne line will be here?

They should just call it Shellharbour. This is the name of the original town and district.

Shell Cove has been registered as a suburb name by the Geographical Names Board since 1996, so it's in the public domain and there should be no reason not to use it. You sure there's not some other reason behind the story?
abesty

Post by abesty »

The fight continues:
TheLoneGunMan
Favourite Vehicle: My Motorhome

Post by TheLoneGunMan »

tonyp wrote:
TheLoneGunMan wrote:Hi All,

TLGM
So the junction for the Melbourne line will be here?

They should just call it Shellharbour. This is the name of the original town and district.

Shell Cove has been registered as a suburb name by the Geographical Names Board since 1996, so it's in the public domain and there should be no reason not to use it. You sure there's not some other reason behind the story?
Hi All,

Why shouldn't they call it a junction, who cares really. What do you expect from this current NSW state Liberal Government, we have the worst Transport Minister known to mankind for making "very bad" decisions for her own stupid legacy.

TLGM
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Post by THE INFORMANT »

I dunno but to me the station is in Dunmore so isn't it sense to call it Dunmore?
"I am the Crackmister"
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

They could always call it Dunmore Cove or Shellmore but Dunmore be more logical.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

NSW Government and logic cannot be mentioned in the same sentence.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Rad

Post by Rad »

Flinders and Shell Cove have both been rejected by the Geographical Names Board because the station precinct isn't located within either suburb boundary. The station is located next to Shellharbour Anglican College whose official address is Piper Avenue, Dunmore.
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
swtt

Post by swtt »

Rad wrote:Flinders and Shell Cove have both been rejected by the Geographical Names Board because the station precinct isn't located within either suburb boundary. The station is located next to Shellharbour Anglican College whose official address is Piper Avenue, Dunmore.
Call one station Dunmore (Shellharbour) and the other one Dunmore? :P
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

They could always name it after the railway station in Wales Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.But fighting over what to call a railway station is stupid.And looking at Google Earth the station is in between the suburbs of Shell cove and Minnamurra and neither suburb is anywhere near the new railway station at all why don`t they keep the name Dunmore.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Rad

Post by Rad »

Yes it makes sense to transfer the name as the old station is to be closed when the new station open. There will be no duplication of names
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

THE INFORMANT wrote:I dunno but to me the station is in Dunmore so isn't it sense to call it Dunmore?
As well as saving money changing every ticket machine in the state
boronia wrote:NSW Government and logic cannot be mentioned in the same sentence.
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

Shellharbour Junction station signs go up before approval

The ongoing debacle surrounding the naming of the new $39 million railway station at Dunmore has taken yet another twist.

Transport for NSW appears so confident the Geographical Names Board will accept its latest proposal for the station to be named Shellharbour Junction that new signs have been installed on the new station's platforms prior to the name being approved.

The station, built to replace the existing Dunmore (Shellharbour) station, was initially known as Flinders under the previous Labor government.

In March 2013 the Liberal Party's Kiama MP Gareth Ward announced the station would instead be called Shell Cove, following "a strong community campaign" and evidence it would help support tourism.

After months of debate over the name and the lack of consultation over the name change, both Flinders and Shell Cove were ruled out as options by the Geographical Names Board (GNB) as the new station is in the suburb of Dunmore.

Transport for NSW then proposed the name Shellharbour Junction which became the subject of a public consultation between July 18 and August 18.

The GNB is to meet on Tuesday night to discuss the proposed name and submissions.

The GNB's options include assign the name, abandon the proposed name Shellharbour Junction, defer the proposal and seek further information, make amendments to the proposal or undertake further community consultation.

In her submission, Shellharbour MP Anna Watson urged the GNB to retain the name of the old station, which she said was the community's "strong preference".

Keeping the existing name would save the state government needing to amend existing timetables and ticketing arrangements, Ms Watson said.

On Monday, a Geographical Names Board spokesman confirmed no decision had been made regarding the proposed naming of the new station in the Shellharbour LGA.

"The Geographical Names Board is due to make a decision on Transport NSW's submission at the next board meeting, tomorrow [Tuesday] evening," the spokesman said. "Naming decisions are based on community feedback and the Geographical Names Board's naming guidelines ... the Geographical Names Board is an independent statutory body."

A Transport for NSW spokesman said it was continuing to work with the GNB to finalise a name for a new train station and transport interchange being built north of the current Dunmore Station.

"Shellharbour Junction signs at the station were erected in error," the spokesman said.

Source: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... al/?cs=300
The station sign has been erected using 'The Hop' branding and has the same style as Light Rail signs.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There's no junction there.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

The junction between frequent rail and frequent connecting bus services. :lol:
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

In a way, I hope it's not approved.

Now, dooon't tell me, but let me guess when it will open, . . .

Probably the same day as the SWRL opens.

Do you know if it has an official "construction" name, similar to what a 1980's(?) station name book has for other stations?

Could always call it the name of the previous station that was near-by "Croom"! :lol:

If it's a suburb called Dunmore, wouldn't be logical to call it Dunmore?

If it's in between two suburbs, as it looks to be, maybe Flinders Cove?

But if they are going to close down the other station, just either transfer the name, or call it Shellharbour,or maybe Shellharbour West.

Edit: http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/ ... l?id=45704
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
abesty

Post by abesty »

WIN News report
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

:roll: Like Bondi Junction should have been named West Aukland Junction :lol:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Newcastle Flyer

Well, if they can't settle on a name, they could call it New Dunmoreshellharbourshellcoveflindersshellharbourwest for New-Dunmore(Shellharbour)-Shell-Cove-Flinders-Shellharbour-West!

Oh wait, did I just use NSW government & "logical" in the same sentence??
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

1. If The Mercury is correct with a price of $39M for a single station, we have seriously lost the plot on infrastructure expenditure in this state.
2. On the name, it's one word excessive but at least someone made a decision. It's a poor reflection on our governments that it gets to this point. And another reason why the people are rightly frustrated with governments in general.
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Post by THE INFORMANT »

The trouble is the local Liberal member has a personal agenda and is hell bent on not calling it Dunmore. FFS if it hasn't already cost enough imagine the extra cost in changing names on ticket machines state wide as well as timetables etc. As stated above how out of touch polys of all dimension are out of touch
"I am the Crackmister"
Newcastle Flyer

Do you know why she doesn't want it to be called Dunmore, and what personal agenda?
White lives matter too.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

And finally, this station will be officially named as "Shallharbour Junction" station:
South Coast's newest train station to be named 'Shellharbour Junction'

Transport for NSW today announced the South Coast’s new train station and transport interchange will be named ‘Shellharbour Junction’, following community feedback and approval of the name by the Geographical Names Board and Minister for Finance and Services.

The project is being delivered as part of the NSW Government’s $770 million Transport Access Program, an initiative to deliver modern, safe and accessible transport infrastructure where it is needed most.

Transport for NSW considered all community feedback in finalising its decision, and that feedback strongly endorsed ‘Shellharbour’ being part of the name.

The new station and interchange will be a world-class transport facility, equipped with infrastructure including:
•new station with two side platforms;
•CCTV surveillance cameras and modern lighting;
•a footbridge to provide access between platforms;
•a car park with about 100 parking spaces, including four accessible spaces;
•brand new interchange with two bus bays, four kiss and ride spaces, a taxi zone and bicycle racks; a new road connecting the station to Piper Drive off Dunmore Road;
and a pedestrian and cyclist pathway connecting to Haddin Road, Flinders.

Construction is continuing on the station and interchange at Shellharbour Junction and it is expected to open for customers later this year.

Customers are already benefitting from Transport Access Program upgrades at Gerringong, Austinmer, Albion Park and Dapto train stations.

A new 40-space commuter car park at Kiama opened to the public late last year and a new commuter car park with about 230 spaces recently opened at Oak Flats.

Source: http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... r-junction
Therefore I wonder as it is called 'Shallharbour Junction', so 2 or multiple lines does this emerge so it is to be called a 'junction'? Bus/Train junction to Shallharbour?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I dont think your post makes much sense hence I cant answer your question and it is Shellharbour Junction and not Shallharbour Junction.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”