Friday Flashback: Toongabbie Transport (Maurie Griffin)

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Ben O

Friday Flashback: Toongabbie Transport (Maurie Griffin)

Post by Ben O »

This week's instalment is of the renowned Parramatta - Toongabbie - Seven Hills - Blacktown corridor operator Toongabbie Transport Services. The company was owned by the Delf family, who pieced routes in the area together primarily through the take over of Seven Hills Bus Co on 2 June 1976. A number of route changes occurred under the Delf's ownership, mostly around the the renumbering of services into the current Sydney route number system in 1986. The fleet list summary is well worth a quick look over, as it reveals the interesting and unique variety of vehicles that Toongabbie operated.

The Delfs also owned the body builder / repairer Alnor, who built ahandful of buses in the 1980s and did some refurbishments.

A total of 36 vehicles were sold to Bosnjak's Westbus on 19 December 1988. Most ended up operating school runs out of Windsor. Details can be found here:- http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/nsw.php?search=TTS

The Delfs continued as an operator in Queensland, operating Fraser Island Top Tours. One vehicle from Sydney made it up there, namely m/o 381 the Hino semicoach (pictured). I recall reading it operated up there still with the Toongabbie header.

All photos were taken by Maurie Griffin.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-8999
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9004
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9005
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9022
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9010
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9011
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9025
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9026
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-9031
Bedford-29

Re: Friday Flashback: Toongabbie Transport (Maurie Griffin)

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here is a couple of pictures of Toongabbie 271 and 4943.Pictures from the Andrew Potts and Ken Magor collections.
Attachments
TOONGABBIE TRANSPORT SERVICE TOONGABBIE NSW BEDFORD VAM MO-271
TOONGABBIE TRANSPORT SERVICE TOONGABBIE NSW BEDFORD VAM MO-271
Toongabbie Transport service (10) Bedford VAM MO-271.jpg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
TOONGABBIE BUSES TOONGABBIE NSW (42) VOLVO B58 MO-4943
TOONGABBIE BUSES TOONGABBIE NSW (42) VOLVO B58 MO-4943
Toongabbie Buses (42) Volvo B58 MO-4943.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 11042 times
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I loved those name 'sun visors' they stuck on the front windscreens. Can't say I'd seen any other operator do that. Some amazing re-engined jobs in that fleet over time, and one of the first with LPG powered vehicles in the fleet. And they ran a couple of Seddons (in name anyway), mo 5727 in Bens post being one, which had an underfloor Perkins.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Post by Punchbowl Tiger Cub »

Evening All,
Who could forget those ERT CCMC rebodies coupled with GM - music to the ears.Can't forget when they migrated to Deanes South at Menai - couldn't miss them climbing off the lower level Woronora River Bridge - ahh,what memories.

Kind Regards Punchbowl Tiger Cub
Punchbowl Bus and Coach - celebrating over 60 years community commitment through a family owned and operated business and it's heritage of Deluxe,Narwee and GP Bus Companies.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here is the other Seddon Pennine RU which they were called.Picture from the Ken Magor collection.
Attachments
TOONGABBIE TRANSPORT SERVICE TOOGABBIE NSW (8) SEDDON PENNINE RU MO-5726
TOONGABBIE TRANSPORT SERVICE TOOGABBIE NSW (8) SEDDON PENNINE RU MO-5726
Toongabbie Transport service (8) Seddon Pennine RU MO-5726.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 10998 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

Wicked. I was only searching BusAust and the net yesterday for TTS photos.
If I recall correctly part of their depot was the old Quarry branchline to Prospect. As a kid it was great to ride the bike to the other side of the railway to see what was inside. Well recall when the UTA Worldmasters turned up, and then later (after a move) travelling on the GM re-engined beasts on the old 705. Then finally after a complete life change, travelling on them again with Southtrans in the Shire.
There is something about those 70's CCMC bodies that endure. Are there many preserved? The Bus Museum's Fearnes one is a standout.
I have one of the small destos and will post when I find it.
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

How can this be a Friday Flasback when it has been posted on a Thursday :?:
Enjoy.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I used to really like that 4032 - wish it hadn't been chopped up
grumpsson

Post by grumpsson »

Great Photo's Ben,

The Hino that the Delf's took with them to Queensland was No.10 m/o 7029 BG100/Domino C49F ex Western Road. When TTS took over the Blacktown routes of WRTS both TTS and Baxters took one coach each, Baxter taking m/o 7305 the B10M. I do not know what happened to 381 after Westbus took over, though two Hino's did make their way to the northern territory, one being 4265.
User7526

Post by User7526 »

I worked on quite a few of these buses after Westbus took over, I loved the GMs like you wouldn't believe. Helmut was going to give me an apprenticeship too, he had to say no as the bus pass rules changed at the start of 1986 and as a result he took three buses off the road because of it.

Peta
Albion Victor
Favourite Vehicle: REO

Post by Albion Victor »

And who could forget Helmut's passion at one time for rear engined conversions and LPG power in the Beddies?
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

grumpsson wrote:Great Photo's Ben,

The Hino that the Delf's took with them to Queensland was No.10 m/o 7029 BG100/Domino C49F ex Western Road. When TTS took over the Blacktown routes of WRTS both TTS and Baxters took one coach each, Baxter taking m/o 7305 the B10M. I do not know what happened to 381 after Westbus took over, though two Hino's did make their way to the northern territory, one being 4265.
It looks like the gen has been a bid muddled in the historic fleet listing (based on Fleet Line records). I have (36) m/o 381 as ex (10) and going to Fraser Island. Then no fleet number for m/o 7059. Perhaps one of the senior "gen" experts could clear this up?

Looking at the fleet list, the only ex Toongabbie left in service in NSW is m/o 7423 at Casula Bus & Coach Service. The SL200 / CC was withdrawn at CDC Edgeworth late last year, outlasting the ex Toongabbie 16.240s by a couple of years. There may be one or two Worldmasters left in WA?
Rick R wrote:How can this be a Friday Flasback when it has been posted on a Thursday?
Quiet you!! :evil:
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Ben,an excellent tribute to a fine and very distinctive ,innovative operator.
Helmut Delfs entered the bus industry by purchasing route 178 Parramatta-Toongabbie in 3/57 from N.R.Burnett.The business was incorporated as Toongabbie Transport Services Pty.Ltd and registered on 2/6/59.Route 144 was purchased from Seven Hills Bus Co.(Route 143)Pty.Ltd (Webb Bros -owners) on 2/6/76.The remainder of Seven Hills Bus Co(Route 143)Pty.Ltd business -routes 143 and 180 were purchased on 1/7/79.
On 8/1/86 the routes were reorganized as follows-
Route 710-Parramatta-Westmead Hospital-Toongabbie-Lalor Park North-Blacktown.This became the main trunk route in the network and from observations was a busy,well operated route.
Route 711-Toongabbie-Seven Hills South-Seven Hills.
Route 715-Seven Hills-Baulkham Hills North.
Route 716-Blacktown -Seven Hills via Barbara Boulevarde.
Route 718-Blacktown-Seven Hills via Kings Langley.

In the split up of the Western Road Bus Services Pty.Ltd business with Holroyd Bus Lines Pty.Ltd(Baxters) on 24/1/87 Toongabbie Transport Services Pty.Ltd took routes 700(Parramatta-Blacktown via Great Western Highway) and 705 (Parramatta-Pendle Hill -Toongabbie)with 12 buses.This gave Toongabbie all the services in the corridor between Blacktown and Parramatta via both sides of the railway.On 24/1/87 Toongabbie sold route 715 (Seven Hills-Baulkham Hills) to Westbus Pty.Ltd.
All routes 700/705/710/711/716/718 with the 36 buses were sold to Westbus Pty.Ltd 19/12/88.
-m/o 281 MAN/Goppell was fleet 7.m/o 7059 Hino/Domino was fleet 10.m/o 381 Hino/Domino was fleet 36.
On my early visits to Sydney I was highly impressed by Toongabbie's operation.A highly unusual,distinctive livery.Clean ,well presented buses and adequate timetables.The most impressive thing-the sheer roar of the GM and MAN engines through Parramatta.I was fortunate to have several rides on their fleet.The best -a full 710 from Blacktown -Parramatta mid afternoon that carried about 70 for the run-and in a GM powered Worldmaster.Was that impressive!!!!
Anknowlegement is made of the use of Robert Henderson's excellent "Sydney Bus Routes history"and "issues of Australian Bus Panorama"in this piece.
Hope this is of interest.Cheers.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

I went past a swimming pool in Fremantle today and saw Ryan & Ryan's two buses, a new addition being an ex Ulladulla B/S OC1617, so the Toongabbie may be finished :(

I went to school in an ex Toongabbie LPG powered Bedford and was later to drive the legendary CCMC rebodies at Southtrans. I used to love bringing them up the river (actually anywhere i could drive them at full noise!) with the windows open.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

what no pics of the single deck atlanteen..................
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

There is this picture of the ex Toongabbie Leyland Atlantean SD the last time I saw this bus was at Watts bus sales Buranda QLD.Picture from the Leon Batman collection.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-1744
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I knew a old guy like you ,with your vast knowloge wouldn't let me down thank you 8)
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
wallace

Post by wallace »

mrobsessed wrote:I went to school in an ex Toongabbie LPG powered Bedford and was later to drive the legendary CCMC rebodies at Southtrans. I used to love bringing them up the river (actually anywhere i could drive them at full noise!) with the windows open.
Well if you drove them at South Trans then you may have possibly even driven me around on a sports charter or even school. Used to love hearing those GM's scream with a full load on.
I remember one losing it's brakes coming down President Ave near towards Kareena Road with a full load and it swerving onto the wrong side of the road to avoid running up the back of our sports bus.
Mecedes Benz 0405 with Custom 510 Body=Good Bus/Rattle Free Motoring
Thirroul

Post by Thirroul »

Centralian wrote:I loved those name 'sun visors' they stuck on the front windscreens.
There were quite a few operators in the 70's who applied this type of vinyl sun visor.

Coachmaster and CVI installed small coloured perspex visors similar in size to a car one, Coachmaster and PMC NSW, toward the end of the 70's installed full width tinted perspex visors to both screens.
Surf Thirroul, NSW's best beach! Where there's a load, there's a Leyland!
GM

Post by GM »

Two photos of Burnet's buses from the Ken Magor Collection.
Attachments
Burnet - mo 964 REO Star Bros.jpg
Burnet - mo 964 REO Star Bros.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
Burnet - mo 380 GMC Syd Wood.jpg
Burnet - mo 380 GMC Syd Wood.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
GM

Post by GM »

A couple of Toongabbie Transport buses from my collection. GM
Attachments
Toongabbie Transport - mo 934 Reo Syd Wood 43 05.04.1950 - Market St. Parramatta 27.05.1950 - On Display Easter Show 1950 - 01 RD - r.jpg
Toongabbie Transport - mo 934 Reo Syd Wood 43 05.04.1950 - Market St. Parramatta 27.05.1950 - On Display Easter Show 1950 - 01 RD - r.jpg (181.33 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
Toongabbie Transport - mo 934 Reo Syd Wood 43 05.04.1950 - Market St. Parramatta 27.05.1950 - On Display Easter Show 1950 - 02 RD - r.jpg
Toongabbie Transport - mo 934 Reo Syd Wood 43 05.04.1950 - Market St. Parramatta 27.05.1950 - On Display Easter Show 1950 - 02 RD - r.jpg (178.42 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
Toongabbie Transport - mo xxx GMC Properts - 1953 - RD - r.jpg
Toongabbie Transport - mo xxx GMC Properts - 1953 - RD - r.jpg (188.6 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the early Burnet and Toongabbie Transport shots Ron.Much appreciated.Would you happen to know how many Buses Burnet sold to Helmut Delfs with route 178?I assume it included at least m/o 380 and m/o 964.Thanks in advance.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

A man that lives in my area in Woy Woy who dabbles in mower repairs revealed to me he once worked for Toongabbie Transport and described the LPG conversions they did after he noticed the LPG installation in my Toyota Lexcen!!

He has no idea of my interest in buses!!
Global w̶a̶r̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ hoax.
With the left in charge the future is doomed.
So sick of transit hobbyist's superior attitudes.
NSW will never reach the level of greatness under Wran ever again.
mark2 2304

Post by mark2 2304 »

I lived at toongabbie for 12 years and never got to travel on their buses (a car person) but I think I remember seeing a couple of them with a sign on the back saying TOONGABBIE PUSHER would that be right?
Nowak

Post by Nowak »

Howdy.

I can't being to tell you the delight in seeing these old pictures.

As a young kid I would go on bus trips during the day after school and weekends to explore the area. My local route was the 198.

Seeing the pictures of the Leyland buses from the 80s has cause for much reflection and sentimentality.

The local driver of the 198 was Frank, a lovely fellow who was very friendly and personable.

I also remember when catching the train to town or Parramatta whizzing passed the depot at Toongabbie with buses packed in the depot.

As a young kid I wanted to drive busses..

Thank you again.
Stefan Nowak.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”