CDC Group News 2019

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Springyboy

Re: CDC Group News 2019

Post by Springyboy »

maxy54 wrote:
Springyboy wrote:Seems like all of CDC Oakleigh's hybrid buses are on the 630 for now. I've seen 152, 157, 159, 160, 161 & 162 all operating the route over the past week. I guess the straight section along North Rd makes it easier to test out, as there's less turns for the drivers to master on the new buses, plus seems like a shorter route overall compared to like the 605 for example. On one of my first rides on one of the new hybrid buses, the driver noticed another bus driver board and spoke to him briefly about the new bus before changing over. Main issue was takeoff being slow so more room needs to be given by cars to let the bus get back on the road, which makes sense due to the slower acceleration time with a smaller petrol content.
The Hybrids also make regular appearances on Route 605 as well

Unfortunately Oakleigh’s Hybrids’ have not been cleared to run the former Driver Bus routes, with Route 624 being a no go zone due to the Hybrid’s being too tall to go under the Queens Avenue rail bridge at Caulfield. Route 625 & 626 are also under review for the Hybrids due to the Well Street rail bridge in Brighton also possibly being too tall for the hybrids
Ah that makes more sense cheers. 623 usually uses older buses, so makes sense why the hybrids are sticking on the 630. Was on an older bumblebee type bus today though, so hybrids might be starting to be worked onto the 623 now.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Also observed on weekend 605 trips. All 3 buses observed last Sunday on 630 and 605 were hybrids.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

1whoknows wrote:Also observed on weekend 605 trips. All 3 buses observed last Sunday on 630 and 605 were hybrids.
The arrival of the Hybrid’s has also seen Oakleigh stop using L94UB Scania’s and Denning Low Floor monocoques on weekend services.
Springyboy wrote:Ah that makes more sense cheers. 623 usually uses older buses, so makes sense why the hybrids are sticking on the 630. Was on an older bumblebee type bus today though, so hybrids might be starting to be worked onto the 623 now.
None of the ex Driver Bus Routes have been given the green light to operate Hybrids as yet. They will remain confined to Routes 605 & 630 for an indefinite period of time.
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

maxy54 wrote:
1whoknows wrote:Also observed on weekend 605 trips. All 3 buses observed last Sunday on 630 and 605 were hybrids.
The arrival of the Hybrid’s has also seen Oakleigh stop using L94UB Scania’s and Denning Low Floor monocoques on weekend services.
Springyboy wrote:Ah that makes more sense cheers. 623 usually uses older buses, so makes sense why the hybrids are sticking on the 630. Was on an older bumblebee type bus today though, so hybrids might be starting to be worked onto the 623 now.
None of the ex Driver Bus Routes have been given the green light to operate Hybrids as yet. They will remain confined to Routes 605 & 630 for an indefinite period of time.
Sounds good to me, is a major relief to see the older busses disappear from weekend services.
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

What about the 900? Or is that not cleared due to the Queens Ave Bridge of the Caulfield sector too
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Springyboy wrote:
What about the 900? Or is that not cleared due to the Queens Ave Bridge of the Caulfield sector too
Route 900 is fine, 900 does not service Queens Ave
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Still seems like there's an issue with the back door mechanism on the new Optimus buses. Was on O150 on route 630 today when the driver shut the door, not noticing that I hadn't exited the bus fully. Luckily no injuries, as the door only went into my foot and my shoe didn't tear or anything, but still seems like a major issue with the door mechanism - as I've been caught out on 147 before as well a couple of stops down the road.
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Seems like the hybrids are finally coming on to the 625/626 from Monday based on this
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Springyboy wrote:Seems like the hybrids are finally coming on to the 625/626 from Monday based on this
Hybrids have not been given the green light to operate elsewhere other than on the 605/630 in the short term.

This diversion was due to CDC's frustration with PTV over the lack of action on the Well St Rail Bridge in Brighton
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

Was told by a cdc wyndham driver that Geelong will recieve 3 hybrids or has them already
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Seems like #O136 from Oakleigh has left the fleet, sad to see it go, was definitely a one of a kind bus
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

CDC have now have combined Buslink Sunryasia and Buslink Wentworth into Buslink Mildura. It appears the Buslink branding will be retained at least for now.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

CDC will be sponsoring the Mini Maker Faire at Monash Uni Clayton on Sunday December 1.

The normally weekday only Route 601 will be operating approximately every 15 minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/MONMiniMakerFaire/
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
kadooment95
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K230UB/K280UB/K310UB

Post by kadooment95 »

maxy54 wrote:
scott wrote:Could the hybrids work route 612?
Route 612 should be OK as well as Route 623 on weekdays given there’s no low obstacles on these routes. The Hybrid’s wouldn’t be able to run weekend 623’s due to most 623’s through run with Route 624 (ie a service dead runs from Glen Waverley to Oakleigh to run both services)
From what I've been told, and seen, the hybrids will almost never end up on a 612 or 623. The 612 has too many low-hanging/questionable trees through Camberwell/Glen Iris area (Prospect Hill/Bowen), and the 623 with the Mount Waverley Station roundabout. The Mount Waverley issue is literally down to lack of trust with the buses making around safely considering the extra .5m is in the rear end and a particular post just before the actual turn starts.
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Damn Bus #34 from Oakleigh is back on the 630 today.

Has seatbelts and stop buttons right on the top corners of the bus, so definitely a very weird experience for passengers overall.
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

GeelongBuses wrote:Was told by a cdc wyndham driver that Geelong will recieve 3 hybrids or has them already
Geelong will be getting 0 Hybrids, the 50 promised are for the Melbourne operations (excluding Tullamarine). If Geelong were to get new buses, I'd be putting my money on more diesel Scania's
Springyboy wrote:Seems like #O136 from Oakleigh has left the fleet, sad to see it go, was definitely a one of a kind bus
#136's trial was deemed a failure, due to the bus being too long and unsuitable for the many tight streets on the CDC network and only being suitable for one route (Route 630)
kadooment95 wrote: From what I've been told, and seen, the hybrids will almost never end up on a 612 or 623. The 612 has too many low-hanging/questionable trees through Camberwell/Glen Iris area (Prospect Hill/Bowen), and the 623 with the Mount Waverley Station roundabout. The Mount Waverley issue is literally down to lack of trust with the buses making around safely considering the extra .5m is in the rear end and a particular post just before the actual turn starts.
I'm not sure I agree with the reasons listed. Most trees along the 612 are tall enough that even a standard bus could fit through, the only concern would be the tight streets it services.

Route 623 should be OK, I've found that the longest buses which run on there (B10BLE CR222L's & B12BLE's) can swing around that roundabout without any dramas
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Shoutout to the driver on Bus #83 from Oakleigh today on the 626 towards Middle Brighton at around 4:30pm. Saw me taking a photo, so waved his hand straight out from the console as a sign of appreciation. Loved it
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Just saw on fleetlists that Huntingdale is receiving bus #171, an articulated bus, which I think is a first for CDC Huntingdale. Is this designed to be operated on the 601, or are other routes going to be utilising this bus too?
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Springyboy wrote:Just saw on fleetlists that Huntingdale is receiving bus #171, an articulated bus, which I think is a first for CDC Huntingdale. Is this designed to be operated on the 601, or are other routes going to be utilising this bus too?
This artic has been designed for use on Route 601. Some routes will be no go zones for #171
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

4896 AO has made an appearance in a recent AAMI insurance advertisement

https://youtu.be/ol2MZ_Nywog?t=12

Of course it's missing it's CDC Melbourne logo and the desto roll says "Whoop Whoop" :)
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Good thing it's not going to Ship Creek.

It's been on the TV for a few weeks. For those not bothering with YouTube, it's a 1995 Volvo B10B/Volgren high floor, ex 185.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”