Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Transdev Melbourne news July - December 2014

Post by Mercedes »

Go for it
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
krustyklo

Re: Transdev Melbourne news July - December 2014

Post by krustyklo »

924 was spotted heading east along Doncaster Rd around 10.30am on a route 907 to Mitcham.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Saw a route 902 bus tonight displaying just "Shoppingtown" on the front. This route passes one Shoppingtown and terminates at another Shoppingtown. So where was it actually going?
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Saw a Designline SmartBus while I was in Ringwood Maccas (New St) at around 9:30 last night (possibly a 901 terminating at Ringwood), which then returned along Maroondah Highway five minutes later not in service. It wasn't a bubble, but it certainly wasn't a Volgren either.
newbus959

Post by newbus959 »

RailwayBus wrote:Saw a route 902 bus tonight displaying just "Shoppingtown" on the front. This route passes one Shoppingtown and terminates at another Shoppingtown. So where was it actually going?
Most likely Doncaster. Still confusing but oh well.
NEWBUS959
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

903 operated the 5.16pm route 905 service from The Pines to the city tonight.
grenda bus 669
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo b7rle, Comeng Train

Post by grenda bus 669 »

You might want to fix up your picture a bit. Its not 2012, its 2014 :wink:

grenda bus 669 :)
To view some of my photography visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grendabus669/
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

You might want to fix up your picture a bit. Its not 2012, its 2014 :wink:
Yeah I know. It was the default message that came with the software and I haven't been bothered opening Photoshop to change it yet... :oops:
Jayzhang

Post by Jayzhang »

#4020 MINI bus on Route 273 towards Nunawading spotted at Donvale this morning
#8012 (ex East West)Volvo B7RLE on Route 907 to the city at Doncaster East This afternoon
#682 MAN 18.310 on route 271 at Donvale this afternoon
jamesadams7

Post by jamesadams7 »

I caught an outbound 203 service earlier this afternoon that was run by one of the older model SmartBuses. I also noticed 2 other SmartBuses on Johnston and Lygon Streets on 200 and 203. I know SmartBus services are sometimes run with non-livered buses, but rarely see the other way around.

Curiously enough, the Next Stop PID was programmed for each of the 203's stops, which I found surprising. Photo of the PID working on Kilby Road shown.
20140715050213.jpg
Craig

Post by Craig »

Adding to the unusual sightings, I was informed that SmartBus vehicles ran consecutive 201 and 203 departures ex Melbourne Central around 16:30 this afternoon. Meanwhile, #996 (Scania K230UB, Volgren) (or #998) was seen on an outbound 907 at East Doncaster Junction around 19:45 tonight.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
tranzitjim

Post by tranzitjim »

jamesadams7 wrote:I caught an outbound 203 service earlier this afternoon that was run by one of the older model SmartBuses. I also noticed 2 other SmartBuses on Johnston and Lygon Streets on 200 and 203. I know SmartBus services are sometimes run with non-livered buses, but rarely see the other way around.

Curiously enough, the Next Stop PID was programmed for each of the 203's stops, which I found surprising. Photo of the PID working on Kilby Road shown.
20140715050213.jpg
Would the Transdev Smartbuses have all of the Transdev routes programmed in, including all stops on all routes?
Mercedes
Administrator

Post by Mercedes »

tranzitjim wrote:
jamesadams7 wrote:I caught an outbound 203 service earlier this afternoon that was run by one of the older model SmartBuses. I also noticed 2 other SmartBuses on Johnston and Lygon Streets on 200 and 203. I know SmartBus services are sometimes run with non-livered buses, but rarely see the other way around.

Would the Transdev Smartbuses have all of the Transdev routes programmed in, including all stops on all routes?

Every Transdev bus even non SmartBuses can but obviously only SmartBuses can display stops on the PID screens.
X'Trapolis-1M
Favourite Vehicle: EDI Comeng

Post by X'Trapolis-1M »

well that now means that the 203 is an smart bus
Craig

Post by Craig »

X'Trapolis-1M wrote:well that now means that the 203 is an smart bus
The way I read Mercedes post is all Transdev buses and routes are tracked, but only the SmartBus vehicles can display the next stop on the internal PID as their other buses don't have internal PIDs, only the tracking equipment.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Mercedes
Administrator

Post by Mercedes »

Craig wrote:
The way I read Mercedes post is all Transdev buses and routes are tracked, but only the SmartBus vehicles can display the next stop on the internal PID as their other buses don't have internal PIDs, only the tracking equipment.

Kind Regards

Correct because the previous bus tracker was set up for all former National routes prior to it being scrapped and re-tendered to Smartrak non Smartbuses were being tracked on all non Smartbus routes. Obviously non Smartbuses don't have the PID screens so nobody from the general public would know the bus was being tracked. Its why blue buses when used on route 903 were being tracked and displayed on the Smartbus PIDs at stops :wink: :D
tranzitjim

Post by tranzitjim »

Craig wrote:

Kind Regards

About time they got around to putting the cheap $90 PIDS inside all buses, so we can always take advantage of this tracking.
DENAIR
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING DENAIR

Post by DENAIR »

Hi All
there are two tracking systems in use presently
the original smartbus tracking which encompasses pids and internal display messages and is a different contract.
Smart tracker is the current tracking system being rolled out in all non-smart buses , each operator can track all their buses at all times . plus the ptv is also monitoring them as well, and quite often sends please explain emails if they notice a bus out of place .
this now why there is only 16 buses rotated on vbl's 703 smartbus service , and unless its a desperate shortage non - smartbuses cannot be used on smart bus services and vice a versa
hope this helps
cheers pete
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

Been visiting Melbourne a bit recently and spending time around Lonsdale, Queen Street's end of the CBD.
Plenty of Transdev PT> buses with the interesting destos. I have read many pages of the Jan-Jun 2014 Thread and the noise about their looks etc. I offer no comment, other than it took a while to work out what the @ was!
What interests me more is whether there were large scale upgrades of desto equipment to LED, side numbers etc, to allow this to happen, or were the changes effected utilising existing desto equipment? There just seem to be a lot of old buses with new gear.
Thanks in advance.
newbus959

Post by newbus959 »

Yes the Transdev destos sparked a fair bit of discussion for the past few months and of course they are set for another change by next Sunday. I think most depots and their vehicles will need updated destos.
NEWBUS959
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

What interests me more is whether there were large scale upgrades of desto equipment to LED, side numbers etc, to allow this to happen, or were the changes effected utilising existing desto equipment? There just seem to be a lot of old buses with new gear.
Not really. I am not aware of any significant upgrades to destination equipment to the current fleet of NBC buses over their lifetime. The closest I think it gets is a small number of buses were a cancelled order from Sydney buses or demonstrators or something which were sold to NBC, then owned by Ventura, for Smartbus services for which a side orange LED destination was added when the original front destinations were green flipdot or maybe green LED.

Are you sure the Lonsdale St services were 'old buses'? The bubble buses may look older than they are and are used on those services and have excellent, large and clear side and rear destinations. The genuinely older buses (the Mercedes ones especially and obviously the MAN Mk IIs) clearly have old front only destination equipment.

(inB4 someone points out the upgrade to the long vehicles used on freeway services from the original red LEDs to whatever it was they ended up with - those buses are no longer with NBC :P )
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

Thanks. I should have said older, not old, eg. Some of the CR 228 bodied vehicles with State Transit are pushing 9-10 years already, so like bodied vehicles could be upwards of the same. In Sydney that age vehicle basically all had Mobitec flip dot, hence the question.
Cover the buses up with new PT> orange diamond livery and everything looks new.
nonscenic
Favourite Vehicle: A Transdev bus that works

Post by nonscenic »

Dose of nostalgia as the large hi floor #300 ran an inbound 309 route service to the city. #300 is the last example of the 10 (?) Very comfortable large capacity buses that ran freeway services back in NBC days.
After 33 years of commuting by bus, I now have a Seniors Myki and two more hours a day not stuck in Victoria parade on a Transdev bus.
hungho95

Post by hungho95 »

Heard from a Transdev driver that Sandringham depot has been sold off and is moving to keysborough and that they have purchased land in sunshine for a new depot.
Buzztop
Favourite Vehicle: Anything that drives properly

Post by Buzztop »

Well unless you see it on paper, it's just a rumour. There are still too many sentences starting with 'I heard'

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”